• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Pat Lam is giving John Muldoon a job as a defensive coach post retirement. Seems like an obvious choice for Muldoon post retirement and he's going about it the right way as well. Great to see him staying involved. Didn't expect a guy who played until 35 would want to walk away from the game.

You're not wrong there. As an Ulster fan its so frustrating. The issues we have encountered (for me) are:-

1. Overseas investment- Bryn Cunningham shouldn't be in a job in my opinion. For example, two of our permitted NIQs have played a handful (if even) of games this season. This stream of South African players has produced the odd gem but its not sustainable or successful. I think Coetzee could have a breakthrough season next year if this knee surgery is (finally) dealt with properly. Rumblings ive heard are that it seems to be down to a botched op rather than general fitness concerns.

Jordi Murphy, Marty Moore & Will Addison show a definite change in recruitment. Start cutting down on the Mercenaries/Journey men and look for players who want to be playing for an international jersey!

2. Stagnation of young players coming through - Leinster's academy is literally the pinnacle of talent production in the Northern Hemisphere (and possible the world!). The numbers are staggering. the Ireland squad had a ridiculous number of Leinster players under the age of 25. Whilst Stockdale, Robert Lyttle, Nick Timoney & Johnny McPhillips offer a rare glint of hope, there seems to be a drop off where young players struggle to make the jump. Last weekends match at Edinburgh was the first in a while where the coaching team blooded a few younger players (Tom O'Toole, Matty Rea, etc.). Maybe a change in their approach is requried?

3. Jackson/Olding - No-one could have predicted the impact of losing two big players. Jackson is the key man here and pulls the strings. Without wanting to get into the daily debate that goes on here.... safe to say, we need them back or a player in to fill that gap. Chat of Mallinder coming to Ulster - possible JJ Hanrahan return? wouldn't be my choice of Out-Half though.

How do we fix it? well if i knew that id be applying for the job!

Well hopefully the weight of expectation will not be so unrealistically high for next season.

The signings made so far are good, but even before the almost certain departures of Jackson and Olding, there was already a massive overhaul needed.

A new coach and first XV standard reinforcements are desperately needed.

On the Leinster academy, is it any great surprise that it's among the best in the world? Full credit to them, but they also have the significant advantages of being one of only four provinces and being in the capital. It'll never happen, but if England was divided in to four provinces (or even 8 for economies of scale), I'd be confident that one of them would at least rival Leinster's.

Well hopefully the weight of expectation will not be so unrealistically high for next season.

The signings made so far are good, but even before the almost certain departures of Jackson and Olding, there was already a massive overhaul needed.

A new coach and first XV standard reinforcements are desperately needed.

On the Leinster academy, is it any great surprise that it's among the best in the world? Full credit to them, but they also have the significant advantages of being one of only four provinces and being in the capital. It'll never happen, but if England was divided in to four provinces (or even 8 for economies of scale), I'd be confident that one of them would at least rival Leinster's.
Leinster's academy's advantage isn't numbers (in comparison with England), 2.5m catchment area where rugby is one of the top two sports only in South Dublin could definitely be bettered in England somewhere. The Leinster Schools Cup is a huge advantage and produces sides that'd rival NZ or SA schools, it's a 16 team competition where all would be training ~5 times a week from August to March, the players who go pro are exposed to this for 2/3 years. I imagine most Irish u18's have spent less time in representative training camps than their English/Welsh/Scottish rivals but significantly more time in de facto professional set ups.

This is obviously partly down to luck, a very prestigious competition grabs school resources and all Leinster have to do is point them in the right direction, Leinster get more credit for the likes of Sean O'Brien and Tadhg Furlong who they uncover from outside the cup.

Hows he doing? Played much this year? Wasn't in the England under 20's this time round.

Still look 12 and about 9 stone wet through?
He's not getting any pitch time which is the issue. He's behind 57, Vellacott and Braley and only playing in Utd and A-League games.

He's still rather raw but shows promise.

Glad Marchant has a new deal though. If Jonas Mikalcius comes back from injury strong then we can deal without Aspland-Robinson.

Where is Gray off to? Could see an Ealing move maybe

Yeah, Ibitoye and Earle coming in will stop it from being a problem too.

Just a shame as he's pretty damn good.

Mulipola setting up his retirement fund at Falcons. Nice fat wedge for him. Think we'd have funded more for the front row if scrum laws were different. Cilliers will have to step up. Rumoured we're signing Cortes from Bristol.

Mcguigan to Falcons. Good move for him. More money and up the pecking order.

Yeah Jake Kerr and Mahoney to step up next year. No problems with this so long as we sign Mafi and another centre.

Latest posts