• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Would EJ pick Ashton though?
I can imagine him holding a grudge over the Saxons snubbing

I would've thought Ashton is significantly quicker than Brown.
Probably Nowell too.

I wouldn't want Ashton back in the EPS but if he fancies moving back to the northwest.....

I'd say Ashton is a good deal faster than Brown.

He's not a greyhound, but Ashton's never been slow. By all accounts (and as you can observe) his ability to sprint just as fast throughout the game is impressive.

and is Ashton that much quicker than Brown?, Ford did mange to chase him down twice v England.

End of the day we have Watson and Nowell to come back in.
Ashtons strength was never out and out pace like jonny may it was the support lines he ran, always given another option regardless of what shirt he had on, his age may have slowed him down as said that he couldnt outpace ford.

Not sure hed get picked unless next season he has a stormer and makes himselfbeyond doubt in attack and defence.( if he came back)

Cant see him overtaking watson and nowell tbh

Ashton was quite quick, never had that initial burst of acceleration but was no slouch. Just a very smart support runner who had a knack of scoring tries. Until Lancaster came about.

Dmitri Arhip to Cardiff Blues, 400k move to Montpellier fell through, Duane Vermeulen off to Japan shame he's never made his way to the prem.

, Duane Vermeulen off to Japan shame he's never made his way to the prem.
That ones been known for a while hasn't it? And the rumour is that he'll come to the Prem short-term to stay match for between the end of the Japanese season (January) and the RWC.
Bath the rumoured destination as 6N cover for Faletau, (but seems more like agent talk to boost a real offer); Brizz and Glos may also be in the mix, possibly Sale

That ones been known for a while hasn't it? And the rumour is that he'll come to the Prem short-term to stay match for between the end of the Japanese season (January) and the RWC.
Bath the rumoured destination as 6N cover for Faletau, (but seems more like agent talk to boost a real offer); Brizz and Glos may also be in the mix, possibly Sale

Would be amazed if he does that.

Northampton should throw every penny in their bank account at him

Putting two and two together... and probably coming up with 22 - it may be that he's negotiating with one of the West Country clubs, with no-one quite knowing who... So he'll probably end up at Wuss or Ex as they're not mentioned, or possibly Newport!

Based on team composition, I'd say that Bath (along with Sarries) would be the teams least likely to need DV.

Of course, it's entirely possible that it's all Chinese Whispers, and people are saying Duane Vermuelen? Well, Glos like Daggers, Brizz like throwing money at anyone they can secure, Bath like big names... and never getting beyond that.

Last edited:
Considering one of the things he said about leaving Toulon was because he wanted to be able to mange his rest pre WC I would be very surprised if he goes to the prem.

Considering one of the things he said about leaving Toulon was because he wanted to be able to mange his rest pre WC I would be very surprised if he goes to the prem.
A] Doesn't the Prem finish about a month before the T14?
B] 9 months of rest pre-RWC doesn't sound carefully managed to me.

Personally, I think it's feasible that he could come, especially if he can get a contract that only covers the 6N - in which case Bath are right back into the equation. Would give him the Japanese season, 6 weeks off; then playing Feb-Mar and 5 months off (or 2 of rest, then June internationals I guess).
Not nailed on, but perfectly feasible.

A] Doesn't the Prem finish about a month before the T14?
B] 9 months of rest pre-RWC doesn't sound carefully managed to me.

Personally, I think it's feasible that he could come, especially if he can get a contract that only covers the 6N - in which case Bath are right back into the equation. Would give him the Japanese season, 6 weeks off; then playing Feb-Mar and 5 months off (or 2 of rest, then June internationals I guess).
Not nailed on, but perfectly feasible.

No but there is this competition called Super rugby....

He was supposed to be going back to SA with the Stormer's that's what Boudjellal thought anyway...

No but there is this competition called Super rugby....
Yes - which would give him 0 rest ahead of the RWC - which doesn't sound terribly well managed.
He was supposed to be going back to SA with the Stormer's that's what Boudjellal thought anyway...
I'll be honest - that's the first I've heard that he was rumoured back to SA - I must have missed it.

Latest posts