• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 British & Irish Lions Squad Announcement

TBH which Scottish players could rightly feel upset about that?

Both grays are behind the other locks IMO.
Watson is really good but Moriarty TBF was really good on the Wales AB tour and had a strong 6N's.
Russell might of been in the squad if he hadn't shat the bed v England.
Jones someone said he is injured.

The bias towards Welsh players is hard to overlook. Two 6N wins and yet twelve Welsh players on the plane.

You're right it was really really rough count. Unsure how Wales can justify 12 players in the squad given their record again the SH.

59d.jpg

Overall happy with that squad lots to be excited about.

What I don't like ... 2 Scots ... first time since 1908 no Scottish Forward named in a Lions squad ... J Gray harshly done by, as can Watson. Biggar shouldn't be touring, would have preferred Finn Russell or even Ford.

Would not be surprised if many of the standby's are Scottish lads.

Last edited:
True but in that case Ford can be ****** right now. You can argue that either Ford or Russell can go instead of the other but I think we can agree both are better than Biggar.

Watson is really good but Moriarty TBF was really good on the Wales AB tour and had a strong 6N's.

In fairness Russell gave Biggar a beat down when Wales came to Murrayfield but you like many are putting all the weight on the England Scotland game. Biggar would have got the nod even if Scotland had ran England close purely because of who is on the coaching team.

To be honest selection is not about keeping 4 nations happy its about the coaches selecting the players the believe will win the test matches. Its hard to argue with many of the selections, yes there are lots of Welsh players but they (apart from Bigger) are all top class players and Im happy they are selected.

Johnny Gray clearly should have gone ahead of George Kruis.
Watson ahead of Moriarty.
Russell ahead of Biggar

Then a few more marginals

Maitland could just as easily have gone as Nowell
Huw Jones deserved it more than Jonathan Davies (though so did Ringrose to be fair)
Arguably a Scottish scrum half over Youngs

But the only genuinely terrible decision is Bigger. It doesn't fit any type of plan that I can see. Is he just going to be a mid-week game buffer zone? Those games should still be an important opportunity to get our backs playing the expansive rugby we will need to stand toe to toe with the all-blacks. As I've said, we need to be able to score tries because the all-blacks certainly will.

Last edited:
I wonder if the bad leaks were done to make us think on any sensible squad favouringly. I'm mostly feeling relief.

The two calls I really disagree on are Biggar over Ford/Russell (shouldn't even be playing for Wales) and Lawes over Launchbury (Lawes looked good during the 6N but only because his 2nd row/back row switching put Itoje through the ringer. Lawes asks too much of his team mates, and for a lineout operator we have Kruis.)

I'd also have found room for Robshaw though I get I'm in the minority on that one.

Counting the nations is missing the point imo, yes there are Welsh players living somewhat on incumbency but so are a few others like SOB. If you want to talk about there being more Scots you need to say which ones. I think J Gray and Russell could have gone but both would be very debatable. I'm not keen on Hamish Watson.

I'm sure we could well see Russell, Gray, Watson, Ringrose as injury replacements as the domestic season finishes and the tour starts. And all of them are good enough to be included first time round.

News trying to make a big deal about Hartley not being selected......don't think anyone that is more than a casual fan is that surprised. Same with Haskshaw (although Haskell probably did his best to put his hand up).

Launchers is a legitimate gripe I'd have taken him over Lawes (if the reasons for him not touring are not true).

12 Welsh lads. Quelle surprise. Halfpenny, Biggar and Moriarty (yes i know he had a decent 6N's) have no business touring. Owens and Davies got the marginal calls too. We knew no Welshman would miss out on a marginal call though.

Healy the only Irishman who can probably feel aggrieved imo. Some English and Scots were ****ed over a bit though. The Grays, Russell, Ford, Robshaw (again), Watson...... Launchbury not touring is scandalous.

Better options than SOB, one of JD2 or Te'o, Moriarty and Halfpenney, Henderson seems a bit surplus to requirements too.

Could have been worse, only guy named who'll start avoiding a tonne of injuries is Halfpenny.

Glad Hartley isnt selected, all 3 hookers selected are better than him. His best days are behind him Im afraid he had his chance in 2013 and blew it which is unfortunate because on his day he was an outstanding hooker.

On Robshaw...England are touring Argentina bet he gets selected for injury cover.

12 Welsh lads. Quelle surprise. Halfpenny, Biggar and Moriarty (yes i know he had a decent 6N's) have no business touring. Owens and Davies got the marginal calls too. We knew no Welshman would miss out on a marginal call though.

Healy the only Irishman who can probably feel aggrieved imo. Some English and Scots were ****ed over a bit though. The Grays, Russell, Ford, Robshaw (again), Watson...... Launchbury not touring is scandalous.

Owens is most definitely not a marginal call. Very surprised not to see Hamish Watson and Jonny Gray included though. Also would have expected George Ford and Launchbury.

Where the hell has this Idea that Biggar is *****house come from?

18 months ago he was putting England to the sword in the RWC and being hailed as one of the best in the world.

He might have lacked a bit of form this season but he still absolutely justifies inclusion over Russell.

There seems to be a real overload of outside backs. 5 centres, 7 back threes plus Daly and Payne, wherever they're being considered. Anyone have any idea what Daly and Payne are going as?

18 months ago he was putting England to the sword in the RWC and being hailed as one of the best in the world.

By walesonline maybe. He's a good player but not one with the expansive game that will help attacking sides unlock defences. If you'd watched any amount of Russell or Ford you'd know they deserved to go in his place.

18 months ago and we're meant to keep rating Biggar despite his averageness. Russell, Ford, Sam Davies, Jackson all better shouts than Biggar.

Where the hell has this Idea that Biggar is *****house come from?

He might have lacked a bit of form this season but he still absolutely justifies inclusion over Russell.
He was quite clearly going through a purple patch as the last 18months and all the time previous have proven him distinctly average......plus he hardly put England to the sword, Wales scored 1 try against one of worst England performances in recent memory. His kick was good but that doesn't justify his selection in this squad.

Wasps not happy with no Joe Launchbury in the squad. Not sure why he wouldn't be now if his wedding rumours aren't true. Take him over Lawes any day :/

Sour grapes from you is it, Biggar, 1/2p and Moriarty have every right to be touring they are there on merit, Biggar has only Sexton in front of him in the NH until Sam D gets more caps, Moriarty will be at least a mid week starter and 1/2penny the player of the series last time out was never going to be left out. Yes Moriarty is possibly lucky, however he is improving at a rate, however only a only a complete muppet would have left out Biggar and 1/2p

- - - Updated - - -

18 months ago and we're meant to keep rating Biggar despite his averageness. Russell, Ford, Sam Davies, Jackson all better shouts than Biggar.

Sam D possibly but Biggar is far better than Jackson,Ford and Russell, he is more suited to the physicality needed out in NZ

Latest posts