• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: England vs Italy (26/02/2017)

I'm aware of that but you can say that disproportionately WAY more people from Celt nations go out of their way to be arses. Considering the rugby watching population of England is probably more than Wales, Scotland and Ireland combined you'd expect far more English trolling yet the balance is very much **** being flung the other way and in greater quantities. It's not so much a case of saying all do it, just that on balance of who is flinging the most ****, it is overwhelmingly being flung at England than by England and a noticeable chunk of it is genuinely vile.

I can't say I read anywhere that it happens so I'll take your word and assume what on Irish pages are hatred for all things Leinster are transferred to you but it shouldn't be brought in here because apart from one or two known posters it doesn't exist in my opinion.

I'm just going to throw this out there but it is entirely possible that people remember perceived slights against the team they support and don't exactly hold on to the shade thrown in the other direction, leading to them believing things are disproportionately against them.

I can't say I read anywhere that it happens so I'll take your word and assume what on Irish pages are hatred for all things Leinster are transferred to you but it shouldn't be brought in here because apart from one or two known posters it doesn't exist in my opinion.

Oh yeah I agree posters on here aren't like that. There are a few wind ups but I don't believe any posters here hate the English.

I'm just going to throw this out there but it is entirely possible that people remember perceived slights against the team they support and don't exactly hold on to the shade thrown in the other direction, leading to them believing things are disproportionately against them.

Numbers don't lie. Again I know it's not the best metric but the 6N facebook page has had anti-English comments as the most "liked" repeatedly. I don't mean just performance comments but literally "anyone but England". The same cannot be said for Scotland, Wales or Ireland.

Last edited:

Yeh probably true . I'll leave my gripes from here on so we can get back to talking about all things rugby .

Did anyone know that by the time Italy play France it will be nearly 4 weeks since they last played any proper rugby ?!? Haha only joking :)

HEY look at that you're completely correct. Let's celebrate

Last edited by a moderator:
Celts and the English

I have lots of Celtic mates good friends and guess what when it comes to Rugby they all hate England, who cares thats what us English are for...

Just going to reiterate that I love the anyone but the English mentality. I have Irish, Welsh, Scottish and French rugby watching friends and to see their faces and reactions over the last 12+ months has been a delight! Englands winning ratio in the 6n is probably around about 70% (just an estimate don't quote me on this) which means your friends/ other posters are disappointed 70% of the time! Call me sadistic l, but there's nothing better than bragging rights after a 6n weekend! Let's look on the bright side :D

It's getting like 606 on here. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks because everything else being discussed on here is pointless

For what it's worth it's not just the Celts who have the ABE mentality, whom are being singled out by some English here. I lived in Bordeaux for 2 years, and during the WC2015 and 6N, everyone was going mental every time England lost, or even had so much as a score against them. To be honest I found the ABE mentality much more rabid there than I do back here at home. I remember when Oz dumped England out of the WC, the pub went bananas. I actually felt really bad for England and English rugby supporters, everyone was confused as to why the one Irishman there wasn't going balloobas too! Afterwards I spoke to some of my English friends living there, and they said it was the worst feeling in the world when they were in the pub watching England getting booted out and everyone was cheering fanatically. I can only imagine.

But all I can say is don't get too offended by it. It definitely does not extend outside of sports. For us Celts, I guess it's just a harmless, fun way of expressing post-conquest/colonial angst :p I'm guilty of it too and it's something that I can't help, even when you're a kid you find yourself supporting ABE and you're not even sure why. For the French, maybe it's their way of getting back at you for being forced to play second fiddle after Waterloo...

Honestly I would try not to get too annoyed by it. It really is just a sporting thing. FFS one of my best friends has 2 100% English parents but was born and raised here, and even he loves seeing England lose! I know it must be kind of frustrating, but as an above poster says you should channel those bad feelings into feelings of smugness and superiority :D It just makes it that bit sweeter every time you win no!?

Last edited:
You've no need to tell an Englishman that it's not just the celts...

The issue isn't the gentle ribbing, it's not the great BBC ad from a couple of six nations ago, it's not everyone doing ABE and cheering the opposition. It's the fact that people can become outright nasty about it. Straight up racism basically (not sure how else it could be described). The sort of stuff that if it was down to the person being black, jewish etc it'd be massively frowned upon.

And of course it's not everyone, and it's only a minority that take it too far, but a minority, when it's Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France, Aus, NZ, SA and a huge number of countries most Englishmen couldn't even spell or find on a map, it's still a lot.

You've no need to tell an Englishman that it's not just the celts...

The issue isn't the gentle ribbing, it's not the great BBC ad from a couple of six nations ago, it's not everyone doing ABE and cheering the opposition. It's the fact that people can become outright nasty about it. Straight up racism basically (not sure how else it could be described). The sort of stuff that if it was down to the person being black, jewish etc it'd be massively frowned upon.

And of course it's not everyone, and it's only a minority that take it too far, but a minority, when it's Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France, Aus, NZ, SA and a huge number of countries most Englishmen couldn't even spell or find on a map, it's still a lot.

This isn't restricted to sport though. The world is full of morons who are incapable of digesting facts and information rationally and logically. Look at all the racist Trump supporters. They were just low hanging fruit in terms of picking up votes. Perhaps unsurprising given that election and referendum campaigning in the US and UK now involves gobs h1te politicians just telling straight out lies without being held to account.

National pride is an interesting thing. I'm proud to be Scottish but have an English mother and do not get involved with the whole anti-English thing other than some banter in the pub with English mates. For me the morons who take it too far probably have little going on in their own lives and will have not achieved much in life personally so national pride is all they have to cling onto. Combine that with a lack of brain cells, a bad attitude, peer pressure from moronic friends and it can be a pretty vile outcome.

Last edited:
National pride is an interesting thing. I'm proud to be Scottish but have an English mother and do not get involved with the whole anti-English thing other than some banter in the pub with English mates. For me the morons who take it too far probably have little going on in their own lives and will have not achieved much in life personally so national pride is all they have to cling onto. Combine that with a lack of brain cells, a bad attitude, peer pressure from moronic friends and it can be a pretty vile outcome.

Having lived in Wales, having a Welsh wife (and inlaws, obviously) and a great many Welsh friends I can tell you there's nothing quite so much fun as implying that a Welsh person has English heritage (even more fun is telling them that Wales is a principality rather than a country).

That said, while the hyperbole is all about hating the English, I have never had any issues with people face-to-face from another nation and particularly not from other parts of British Isles.
Sure some people get carried away but it's basically harmless banter and should be treated as such.

Most of this anti English stuff is confined to social media. You never normally get this crap if you go to a game. The obvious exception was Murrayfield in 1990 but otherwise it's just social media bringing out the worst in people

Well the Welsh hate their own team 10X more than they could ever hate the English at the moment! The country has gone to **** since the Scotland game!

And here ladies and gentlemen we have one of the "some" .....

All I know is Scotland won the 2nd half against Wales. Fair play to them. And you have to deal with the fact that Italy won the 1st half against you, resoundingly, and move on. If that makes me one of the "some" in your eyes, you obviously have way too much time on your hands.

All I know is Scotland won the 2nd half against Wales. Fair play to them. And you have to deal with the fact that Italy won the 1st half against you, resoundingly, and move on. If that makes me one of the "some" in your eyes, you obviously have way too much time on your hands.

So given that Italy were 5 points ahead at half time, does that mean England's 5 point victory over Wales was also "Resounding"?

It's getting like 606 on here. Let's see what happens in the next few weeks because everything else being discussed on here is pointless

Werd.

Hopefully people have it all out of their systems now.

So given that Italy were 5 points ahead at half time, does that mean England's 5 point victory over Wales was also "Resounding"?

Well no because they came about in completely different ways. England hardly disrupted a whole half of rugby in the Wales game! Unlike Italy/England.

Latest posts