• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: Ireland vs France (25/02/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

Ireland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
France.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 16:50 GMT

If Sexton starts I fancy Ireland here against what I consider a pretty accomplished (but apparently pretty banged up) France. I'm still not convinced by France at 10, 12, 13 or 15 although Fikou is gradually coming on to a game.

I expect a big Irish win.

Ireland have put in a string of impressive performance against the big SH teams. They're 4th in world while France 7th and still reeling from 4 yrs of neglect and incompetence that won't be easily reversed. Ireland are a settled side, well coached, at home and with Sexton back. Alamo is awaiting les Bleus.

The French team is still very much in early phase of rebuilding. Noves has a mountain to climb and I would question whether he'll stay all the way. To his credit he has brought about a change of attitude as he would but his record is dismal. Still many loose ends in key areas. Lack of leadership still an issue esp. in backs. Players will need come out of their shell at the Aviva.

Noves will talk of a win because that's what the press likes to hear but he will target a collective performance. Too early to expect a win away v a better ranked team.

Pressure is on Ireland at home and with their recent record. They have the ability to mix it and I expect an aerial bombardment from Sexton to test perceived defensive weakness on wings and exploit space btw full back and wing.

Game to come down to a Sexton kick and/or funny call by ref. We haven't had cards yet but it's bound to happen with one team down to 14 or even 13.

Last edited:
i'm picking ireland, this tournament seems to be home team dominant

unlucky for france to have ireland and england on the road this year

i'm picking ireland, this tournament seems to be home team dominant

unlucky for france to have ireland and england on the road this year

We were dealt Wales and Ireland on the road, that's hardly any luckier.

We were dealt Wales and Ireland on the road, that's hardly any luckier.

i don't think wales is quite up to par with france, scotland, ireland, and england

england also has 3 home games while france has 2

do think ireland hosting england could be the difference in who wins the tournament

i don't think wales is quite up to par with france, scotland, ireland, and england

england also has 3 home games while france has 2

do think ireland hosting england could be the difference in who wins the tournament

Scotland better than Wales? I don't think so. I think Wales have beaten them something like the last 10 times and they'll be favourites to do it again at the weekend. The Scots are closing the gap but it's a big ask for them to beat wales.

Scotland better than Wales? I don't think so. I think Wales have beaten them something like the last 10 times and they'll be favourites to do it again at the weekend. The Scots are closing the gap but it's a big ask for them to beat wales.

both had very similar falls but i think scotland has looked better so far in this tournament

Wouldn't say that at all to be honest

Yes history would say that Wales will be put them strong favorites but Wales hasn't looks as sharp as they were 4 years ago, and we have seen a different Scotland this year, they are definitely more than capable to beat Wales, history may not prove it. Last year if our defense wasn't so poor i reckon we would have won.

Think France light unravel a bit here with Ireland's intensity in defence. Sexton back might not make as much difference as some pundits are suggesting but is certainly a welcome addition. Ireland by 15.

I just hope Noves picks the Fijian wingers again. They're both poor in the air, they can't defend and they don't seem to understand that stepping over touchline while in possession is a bad thing. Brainless is the word i'd use.

The French lads are doom and gloom but there has been nothing between these sides over the years. Noves has brought obvious improvement so that gap could easily swing the other way now. I'd be well up for it if i was French!

Thought it might be high scoring game but the weather is supposed to be **** on Saturday.

Prediction: Irelands greater discipline and home advantage to swing it for them. Ireland by 2.

History doesn't help you predict a result when the personnel are different. We both know Scotland were **** each of the last 10 times and now look much improved. Wales aren't nearly s bad as they tried to make people think in the autumn internationals but nor are they out of the woods yet. Eventually Howley and others will have to accept that Dan Bigger is the later years Johnny Wilkinson at International level. You won't be able to necessarily fault his performance but you may find yourself wondering why your attack is so bad.

If we score a try we'll win I think, not that that's a guarantee whatsoever, we've scored two against the French in our last three fixtures and the last one in the 6n was 2014...

I reckon the thing French fans have to smile about the most from this tournament is Kevin Gourdon, he's been inspired, would love to have him for England

France are a bit unknown in that Noves is a good coach so how tactically right will they be. Also for 1st time they'll be fresh and how will the time remaned as a group be

Rumoured team.
Kearney
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Zebo
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
O'Brien
Stander
Toner
Ryan
Furlong
Best
McGrath

Scannell
Healy
Ryan
Henderson
O'Mahony
Marmion
Jackson
Trimble

Not sure Trimble is the best guy we can bring off the bench. Either start him or leave him for me, Gilroy would provide a better impact and can cover 15 unlike Trimble.

Latest posts