• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: Ireland vs France (25/02/2017)

Solid by Ireland against a decent France that are still at the beginning of their upward journey. No issues with ref for me and good communication with TMO (ref has primacy and the TMO is there to assist, not run the show).

I think jury is still out on Ireland at moment. There's still alot of flaws but well we beat what was in front of us.
Few points I'd say.
O'Mahony is still needed in there for defensive lineout. The backrow isn't clicking. I think Heaslip and Stander had monster games but breakdown was terrible today.
Sexton back meant a rise in performance of backs. You know its coming but those loops are hard to stop.
Murray proved again he's up there as best in world.
Our front row weren't great. Best seems to have lost alot of belief and confidence in himself.

Fair play to France too. They're not there yet but certainly on upward slope

Only half watched the game because I was working but TRF is more incensed at Nigel Owens than the pub full of Toulousains!

Looked like a good performance if not clinical enough, something needs to be done to the back three and back row this summer because Zebo is not a wing and the backrow needs a more mobile operator in there, POM - SOB - Heaslip or CJ - VdF - Heaslip are probably more compatible within this side.

Grand to get the win, need to put Wales to the sword like the Scots did, two tries should beat them and then set up a decider in Dublin!

Only half watched the game because I was working but TRF is more incensed at Nigel Owens than the pub full of Toulousains!

Looked like a good performance if not clinical enough, something needs to be done to the back three and back row this summer because Zebo is not a wing and the backrow needs a more mobile operator in there, POM - SOB - Heaslip or CJ - VdF - Heaslip are probably more compatible within this side.

Grand to get the win, need to put Wales to the sword like the Scots did, two tries should beat them and then set up a decider in Dublin!
We will probably produce something extraordinary and beat you Sorry pal

In fairness to Zebo he shouldn't have been on he was buckled after 5 mins. But agree I think vs England Earls and Trimble are best wingers suited to gameplan.
I'd agree on backrow BUT thing is Heaslip and Stander delivered hugely. Sean O'Brien hasn't been at same level as these 2 and question is do you sacrifice him for an O'Mahony at 7 or Van Der Flier or Leavy. All options have their merits.

Owens wasn't great I can admit but not the cause of result. It was more he wanted limelight today with talks and jokes.

Also rumours Healy may be cited for tip tackle. Not sure how true though as it's rare citing happens on same day

Last edited:
We will probably produce something extraordinary and beat you Sorry pal

If extraordinary is what went on against England a couple of weeks ago I'm not terrified! There won't be a huge contrast of sides so I think the team with a bit of form, confidence, a good coach and something to play for will take it, it'd be a worse loss than Murrayfield if we do lose.

Can't disagree much Muff I think that it should stay as is for the next two games and work on something during the summer tour when guys are gone.

If extraordinary is what went on against England a couple of weeks ago I'm not terrified! There won't be a huge contrast of sides so I think the team with a bit of form, confidence, a good coach and something to play for will take it, it'd be a worse loss than Murrayfield if we do lose.

Can't disagree much Muff I think that it should stay as is for the next two games and work on something during the summer tour when guys are gone.

Ouch! A worse loss than Murrayfield ? You sure about that? I would almost put my house on going into the tournament that Ireland would of expected to have beaten Scotland but Wales would of been a bit more closer? Obviously you are saying this now because we lost to Scotland (first time in 10 years) but as I said we do play better home and Ireland won't be getting any thing easy , they will earn it as bad as we are.

After summer I can see Sweetnam nailed in if all goes right regardless.
Delighted the US game is added as it's another game to nail a spot. As for backrow I think we may be hurt in next 2 games if we don't sort breakdown though.

You kidding me? Ireland should have had few more tries in this game. Remember in the dark days of English rugby in the 10 years after 2003, France were the best team in Europe but would still routinely lose to England who at the time were utter ****e.

In the period from 2004-2014 that was true but in the last few years the reverse has been true (Ireland and Wales beating France whilst we have tripped up against them). This 6N France were miles better when they played England than they were against Ireland. Wales also were much better than they were this week. No doubt in 2 weeks time Scotland will suddenly up their intensity and then finish with Ireland doing the same. The one thing that is constant, England winning the championship is harder fought than for any other nation because EVERYONE ups their game against us.

800 years of oppression and 14 years of intolerable arrogance? Oh and also that silly unbeaten run of theirs.

Lol

- - - Updated - - -

This 6N France were miles better when they played England than they were against Ireland.

Oh what a load of rot. France started both games and well and finished both games poorly. They still have linking issues at 9 and 10 that will develop over time. Ireland played France more effectively than England did but it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard. Often the case at international level.

The one thing that is constant, England winning the championship is harder fought than for any other nation because EVERYONE ups their game against us.

It's not home and away, there is very little travelling involved, you have a vastly larger catchment area than your opponents who are in contrast minnows in the catchment stakes (and then you still have no qualms about plundering any and all other parts of the world for your coach, captain and a variety of spaces in your squad) and you have the biggest stadium therefore the biggest home crowd to support you for home advantage.
You should be walking it, not making it look so hard.
Stop your squeaking and quietly getting on with enjoying your vast advantages.
It's bad enough having the constant arrogance without you playing false in the victim mentality.
You really are a very poor advertisement for English fans.

I'm curious as to what French fans think of their team's performance? For the first 20 minutes I was bricking it. It was like Argentina + Scotland all over again. There was a real menace in that French side in the first 20 minutes. Disallowing that try was huge. If for that knock on this game would've been very different. I can't even imagine the lift and momentum swing (even more so than they had) that try would've given them. Anyone else roaring at the telly when Sexton kept going for the corner? I thought the 3pts were a no brainer on every single occasion. He made up for it with that sweet drop goal I suppose.

Bar Murray and Sexton I don't think anyone had a top-class performance. CJ was unusually quiet. It was a good collective team effort, we did well to contain the French and deny them their game-plan but personally it wasn't a hugely inspiring or confidence building performance. There are still a few question marks over this Irish side. Our backline is so unexceptional. After the Scotland match I will fancy our chances in Wales but am seriously expecting them to step up their game. We won't get away with it if we played like we did yesterday. Also, I didn't think it was a turgid match as someone said earlier, actually thought it was quite entertaining and well, good?

Side point but anyone else get a little sick when they saw that ad for a feckin' documentary on our November series? I think that win over NZ and Aus is being blown way out of proportion. The Irish often get carried away with the result (France WC 2015, Christ...). Not to detract from a fairly sound performance yesterday, but the Irish media is just as bad as their English counterpart in terms of hyperbole.

In any case I'm just happy to have a cracking 6N again. :) I can't even put into words how bad last years was.

Last edited:
In the period from 2004-2014 that was true but in the last few years the reverse has been true (Ireland and Wales beating France whilst we have tripped up against them). This 6N France were miles better when they played England than they were against Ireland. Wales also were much better than they were this week. No doubt in 2 weeks time Scotland will suddenly up their intensity and then finish with Ireland doing the same. The one thing that is constant, England winning the championship is harder fought than for any other nation because EVERYONE ups their game against us.

What? You had no trouble with France in 2015 and 2016 and played a bad game of rugby this year. I genuinely think the attitude of thinking everyone ups their game against you is bull**** , name one time a team has gone to Twickenham with no form and beaten a good English side! Your team is often hyped up to be more than it is really

To add to this I don't think France ever produced anything different against us but rather that we never play well against them, 2009 being the only exception since the BOD game.

I'm curious as to what French fans think of their team's performance? For the first 20 minutes I was bricking it. It was like Argentina + Scotland all over again. There was a real menace in that French side in the first 20 minutes. Disallowing that try was huge. If for that knock on this game would've been very different. I can't even imagine the lift and momentum swing (even more so than they had) that try would've given them. Anyone else roaring at the telly when Sexton kept going for the corner? I thought the 3pts were a no brainer on every single occasion. He made up for it with that sweet drop goal I suppose.

Bar Murray and Sexton I don't think anyone had a top-class performance. CJ was unusually quiet. It was a good collective team effort, we did well to contain the French and deny them their game-plan but personally it wasn't a hugely inspiring or confidence building performance. There are still a few question marks over this Irish side. Our backline is so unexceptional. After the Scotland match I will fancy our chances in Wales but am seriously expecting them to step up their game. We won't get away with it if we played like we did yesterday. Also, I didn't think it was a turgid match as someone said earlier, actually thought it was quite entertaining and well, good?

Side point but anyone else get a little sick when they saw that ad for a feckin' documentary on our November series? I think that win over NZ and Aus is being blown way out of proportion. The Irish often get carried away with the result (France WC 2015, Christ...). Not to detract from a fairly sound performance yesterday, but the Irish media is just as bad as their English counterpart in terms of hyperbole.

In any case I'm just happy to have a cracking 6N again. :) I can't even put into words how bad last years was.

I'd have to disagree with this. CJ had 20+ carries which is consistent and crazy at this level. Heaslip was best forward on park and really I'd argue was 1 of his best games in green.

Latest posts