• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: Scotland vs Wales (25/02/2017)

ThebigARena

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Scarlets
Scotland V Wales

Okay just four days to go. Already getting nervous both teams badly need the win. Scotland high on confidence and a much improved Welsh performance, this is building to be and absolute cracker , always a open game against the Scots. The Scots will fancy this given they beat Ireland last time out at Murrayfield . Where will this game be won and lost and who will be the likely players to make a difference, really looking forward to this game!

6Nations.jpg

Scotland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Wales.png

Venue:BT Murrayfield
Time: 14:25 GMT

Could have a big impact on the world cup, this'un. Scotland with a real uphill battle to stay in the top 8 if they lose, and Wales could still be in band 1 or band 3.

Scotland really need to win this for Andy Nicole to not top himself after predicting the umpteenth false dawn for Scottish rugby.

History is against Scotland here. And whilst they beat Ireland in round 1 , I just don't think they'll back it up here. If Wales get anywhere near their England performance I think they'll have enough in the key areas (front row, back row, half backs) to see them home. They tend to find a way of sticking in this tournament until atleast week 4. Wales by 10.

I'm disappointed that Cuthbert was sent home. We could have kicked it up his wing like we did to Keith Earls.

Should be a great game though especially with the dynamic Price at scrum half unless Henry gets the nod for this one.

I always get nervous when people make Wales favs.

According to the bookies it's pretty much a coin flip if that makes you feel better. These are just my thoughts, mainly based on Scotland's 100 false dawns, Wales' record over the scots and their performance vs eng.

I can see Wales' back row bossing the breakdown completely and HP will do the honours.

Scotland evens on betfair with Wales 5/6 , absolutely nothing in it! Could go either way this one we should of the advantage at the breakdown try and slow that Scottish ball, they get quick ball and everything flows from that , we could be in trouble . I'd start biggar then maybe bring on Sam depending on how the game pans out , if we are chasing it Sam would be a good impact from the bench

- - - Updated - - -

I'm disappointed that Cuthbert was sent home. We could have kicked it up his wing like we did to Keith Earls.

Should be a great game though especially with the dynamic Price at scrum half unless Henry gets the nod for this one.

He should never be allowed anywhere near a Welsh Jersey ever again

Well, I'm going to miss at least the first half 'cause I'm going to the Classic Car Show at ExCel on Saturday. Kick off 2.25?

- - - Updated - - -

Scotland evens on betfair with Wales 5/6 , absolutely nothing in it! Could go either way this one we should of the advantage at the breakdown try and slow that Scottish ball, they get quick ball and everything flows from that , we could be in trouble . I'd start biggar then maybe bring on Sam depending on how the game pans out , if we are chasing it Sam would be a good impact from the bench

- - - Updated - - -

He should never be allowed anywhere near a Welsh Jersey ever again

Have I missed something? Cuthbert sent home?

Well, I'm going to miss at least the first half 'cause I'm going to the Classic Car Show at ExCel on Saturday. Kick off 2.25?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes 2.25pm , ah that's too bad I'll be settled in the pub with a guinness by 2pm

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, North is fit and raring to go thankfully !

- - - Updated - - -

Found it! he took the rap for the loss against England, lol. Might never see him in Wales shirt again then.

Routine for Scotland for me if Finn doesn't have some kind of weird emotional scar from his funny missed conversion against France. The Welsh can't exploit Scotland's main weakness, their slightly under strength pack and completely lack the Scottish cutting edge in the backs if they stick with recent selections (as exemplified by Hogg vs Halfpenny). If it was in Wales I'd fancy them to sneak it. But it isn't.

Scotland by 16

Routine for Scotland for me if Finn doesn't have some kind of weird emotional scar from his funny missed conversion against France. The Welsh can't exploit Scotland's main weakness, their slightly under strength pack and completely lack the Scottish cutting edge in the backs if they stick with recent selections (as exemplified by Hogg vs Halfpenny). If it was in Wales I'd fancy them to sneak it. But it isn't.

Scotland by 16

Wow, that's a bold prediction. Wales never lose by that amount to northern hemisphere teams and I don't think they'll start here. Pride alone will keep them close.

Also, I'm Still finding it hard adjusting to this new phrase:

"Scottish cutting-edge"

According to the bookies it's pretty much a coin flip if that makes you feel better. These are just my thoughts, mainly based on Scotland's 100 false dawns, Wales' record over the scots and their performance vs eng.

I can see Wales' back row bossing the breakdown completely and HP will do the honours.

Scotland's back row - Watson in particular - has looked very good so far. With Strauss definitely out and Barclay apparently touch-and-go, they might struggle, but I don't see Wales having it all their own way at the breakdown. Scotland have been competing with real intensity.

Before Laidlaw's injury, I might have been tempted to go for a home win, but I think the Scots losing Greig might be the deciding factor here.

Wales by 7-10 points.

The Scottish back row has some good athletes in it but lacks both the technique and experience of the Welsh back row by some distance, and the Scots were the walking wounded after the France game. Scotland probably went down to Paris with the better ball players but got physically marmalised and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again here.

Wales put up a seriously physically intense game against England which they ultimately lost because they couldn't make chances count against England's defence. The Scottish defence isn't as strong and they will be giving up more ball and territory than England did because they'll struggle up front.

If the Scots get some magic start like they did against Ireland they could well take it but I don't see a reliable way for them to do it, so Wales by 10 for me too.

Don't see why everyone is worried about losing Laidlaw.

John Barclay has been a proven leader (looking likely he'll play). Price control's a game better and Russell isn't actually that bad at kicking (yes he may have missed a sitter of a kick but so has Patterson who is our top point scorer through kicking).

One change in the starting 15 for Wales. George north back. Same backrow as last week with moriarty preferred over falateau. Wonder if Howley will make the same switch as last week if moriarty is going great guns!

It's not the missed conversion that bothers me - it probably wouldn't happen to anyone but you'd hope it's unlikely to happen again. His general goal kicking is worse than Greig's and that's always a negative. In the past Scotland have tried to force it when not keeping the scoreboard ticking, so I'm fearful of that. I also think Laidlaw helps Russell a lot - clearly Price works well with him but Laidlaw acts a bit like a 12 for Russell and lets him focus on running the game rather than reading it. On the other hand, hopefully Price will inject a bit more speed and help our backs.

Still feels funny to have an exciting backline. Or even a competent one. Our results may not be much better than the late 2000s but I'm enjoying watching the games a lot more!

One change in the starting 15 for Wales. George north back. Same backrow as last week with moriarty preferred over falateau. Wonder if Howley will make the same switch as last week if moriarty is going great guns!

Gatland is still calling the shots in spite of what he tells the media. There will be a hotline between him and Howler who is just his following orders.

- - - Updated - - -

While Laidlaw's goal kicking accuracy will be missed, Price sees opportunities more quickly and is brilliant at tap and go penalties where his dynamism can really hurt the opposition. It looks like the backline will be mostly Glasgow Warriors (plus Maitland who is ex Warriors and Huw Jones who has now joined).

Winning this game is massive in terms of WC seedings and it will ultimately be the difference between an excellent 6N campaign and a mediocre one.

Latest posts