• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: Wales v Ireland (11/02/2017)

I agree with the questions asked over our ability to score points, I just don't think it'll be a worry long term, three examples of losing games in the space of two international periods for the same reason will be looked at. This time last year Schmidt was criticised for not capping new players after the RWC, he quickly fixed that and apart from the back three and maybe a few bolters here and there I'd say that the entirety of the next RWC squad has been capped, definitely the guys who'll be in and around the 23. Schmidt is a smart man, he has said in the media that we aren't a predictable team and for the most part he's right. Once we hit the 22 we don't have a lot, Murray is too slow and Sexton is too flat to go wide against rush defences we need players who can create and take advantage of gaps in midfield or we need Paddy Jackson but he doesn't match up anywhere else on the pitch. I hope we see Byrne and Sweetnam and a new 15 in Japan and New Jersey, if we're still playing the same back three in Autumn I'll start asking the same questions you are but until this six nations I don't think these problems were the glaringly obvious ones. In last year's tournament we simply couldn't get any good territory, that's been fixed, the next challenge is to start using this territory, we can do it but names in the 1st XV need to change to make it consistent.

1 key question in next Autumn will we see changes though?
Like we are all presuming youngsters will be capped in Summer. But I don't want it like previous tours of this nature in past where we cap players just to play game but revert back to same old come Autumn. And by that I'm on about our Lions year summer tour.
Like I agree with your end but that is the key. Will we see change by Autumn.

So he changed thevway he reffed after 15 mins?! Terrible reffereeing, consistency is all that is asked for.

I know this is an old post but that is what you are supposed to do.

Tight for the first 10-15 minutes to get players scared of committing those infringements, as the game goes on you loosen the standards and as long as the game flows you let it go.

I know this is an old post but that is what you are supposed to do.

Tight for the first 10-15 minutes to get players scared of committing those infringements, as the game goes on you loosen the standards and as long as the game flows you let it go.

So the rules change after 15 minutes? That's not right, a penalty is a penalty.

So the rules change after 15 minutes? That's not right, a penalty is a penalty.

I'm just telling you the way it's done.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll hear a lot about materiality. A minor infringement earlier in the game is more material since it can set a tone of lazy play around the tackle. Later on that standard should already be set and you give a little more benefit of the doubt

Is that what world rugby tell refs to do? Be a stickler for something in the 1st 15 minutes, and as long as its not happening as often just ignore it?

Yeah. At my WR Level II it was a HUGE talking point. Minor infringements Ping early and frequent. After 10-15 go towards more obvious stuff.

Yeah. At my WR Level II it was a HUGE talking point. Minor infringements Ping early and frequent. After 10-15 go towards more obvious stuff.

Ok, I still don't think Barnes had a good game two years ago considering some of the stuff he missed was way more blatant later in the game to what got pinged early but at least he wasn't making it up on his own just implementing what he was told to do badly.

1 key question in next Autumn will we see changes though?
Like we are all presuming youngsters will be capped in Summer. But I don't want it like previous tours of this nature in past where we cap players just to play game but revert back to same old come Autumn. And by that I'm on about our Lions year summer tour.
Like I agree with your end but that is the key. Will we see change by autumn
If the new blokes seize their chances in the summer with key players out, and autumn internationals with others being rested/hurt after the Lions it ought to shake teams up - just have to hope it occurs in the right positions...

If the new blokes seize their chances in the summer with key players out, and autumn internationals with others being rested/hurt after the Lions it ought to shake teams up - just have to hope it occurs in the right positions...

Well hopefully like I just hope it's not revert to usual after RWC

Haven't watched the Six Nations much this season, but foul weather meant I'd give anything a go at the weekend. My thoughts were -
Wales Ireland - This was an old fashioned Six Nations Test match, like we've been used too for a million years. All blood and guts. Nothing much here to make the All Blacks quake in their boots.
Now the England Scotland game - that's another matter. Both these teams seem to have learnt how to run lines and time passes. I've never seen that before in the North.
Big lads, running and passing with skill. Who does that remind you of? It's a bit of a worry for the All Blacks.

Haven't watched the Six Nations much this season, but foul weather meant I'd give anything a go at the weekend. My thoughts were -
Wales Ireland - This was an old fashioned Six Nations Test match, like we've been used too for a million years. All blood and guts. Nothing much here to make the All Blacks quake in their boots.
Now the England Scotland game - that's another matter. Both these teams seem to have learnt how to run lines and time passes. I've never seen that before in the North.
Big lads, running and passing with skill. Who does that remind you of? It's a bit of a worry for the All Blacks

Lol at this! I don't think the ABs are concerned by any NH team or in world rugby, they may get a bit cheesed off if England manage to break their record next week...

Disappointed by Jiffy's comments on last nights Scrum V. Very defensive of Howley and co regarding not capping new players. Gwyn Jones was obviously getting very irritated as well, and he was 100% correct in what he was saying, until alternative players ate properly tested, how do we know who's good enough?

Disappointed by Jiffy's comments on last nights Scrum V. Very defensive of Howley and co regarding not capping new players. Gwyn Jones was obviously getting very irritated as well, and he was 100% correct in what he was saying, until alternative players ate properly tested, how do we know who's good enough?

Jiffy did have one small grain of truth in there though - why aren't Wales helping their talented players get better? The team contains very gifted players but they haven't improved a whole lot over the last few years. And most of them aren't old enough to be classed as over the hill yet.

ireland should have won this game.
Wales again showed they have talent but not coaching.

Ireland didn't look like they could win apart from the first 20'. Wales adapted their game very well as the game went on. They don't need that much coaching if they're able to adjust like they did. They have experienced leaders in their side.
I think Wales are being written off by too many. They had a poor game v a good Scottish side. They ran England close and beat Ireland convincingly.

They can go to Paris with confidence and get a result.

Last edited:
Ireland seem to be suffering from the same problems as Wales, lack of creativity in attack and inform players not getting the chance over the 'experienced' established lot. While Biggar has been great for Wales in the past I think he's one of the reason's why Wales struggle in attack, hopefully Sam Davies actually gets more than 10 minutes at the end against France.

Can Wales finish inside the top 4 of the world rankings if they beat France?! If so, there's no way Howley is making any changes!

Can Wales finish inside the top 4 of the world rankings if they beat France?! If so, there's no way Howley is making any changes!

I think they can but it involves both Ireland and Scotland losing. Even if if they couldn't the only way Howley makes changes is either injury or sickness.

I think they can but it involves both Ireland and Scotland losing. Even if if they couldn't the only way Howley makes changes is either injury or sickness.

Scotland losing? Ah right. Well that ain't happening. Yeah unfortunately I can't see any changes either. Maybe Davies could get 20-25 mins instead of 10 but the 23 will be the same

I also wonder if France lose whether they will fall to 9th? Someone a lot clever than me, please work out the ranking points. :p

Latest posts