• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 5: Ireland vs England (18/03/2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
6Nations.jpg

Ireland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
England.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 17:00 GMT

Mako and billy start instead of marler hughes, like ti see watson start on the wing but unfair on daly and not yet enough gametime but when daly goes off injured early you lose cover for multiple positions .

keep the same 23 as scotland game. Maybe swap wood for.....cliff cos wood holds no place in the future england squad/2019 WC squad

I'd also swap Wood for Clifford but seeing as how he isn't even in the early week extended squad that is very unlikely to happen.

Same again all over. If Daly is fit to start then leave Watson on the bench. Also happy to leave the Vunipolas on the bench till the second half. Its not what I would automatically choose, but I think there is some value leaving them on as 'finishers'

The English are going to take over Dublin again.

And Ireland will love it and demand to replace Scotland in our union.

Lets see is there any reaction from our lads. Have to admit the excitement isn't there

Hoping for changes. O'Mahony for Heaslip and maybe Payne to FB. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the same 15 though.

Ireland to win by 5 but in no way will that appease the disappointment of losing in Cardiff.

Heading home for this, I've seen England win a six nations championship twice after losing the slam in Dublin, hopefully it'll be no.3.

We have the players in our 23 to win at home, performance needs to be lifted from what has been seen so far this year.

I don't see many changes in the lineup for England at this stage. I think that Marler will start leaving Mako to come off the bench when it's a bit looser. Billy will likely come in for Hughes I would imagine. I think the back line will be the same as it was for Scotland or Watson in for Daly.

I really can't decide what I think on the result. On the one hand, Ireland's defence has shipped quite a few tries this championship and England are proven to threaten there. Likewise, they haven't scored many against decent defences (i.e. not Italy). On the other hand, I can't imagine much would get the Irish team more fired up than spoiling the Grand Slam and record winning streak.

I can see BV coming into the starting line up but, injuries notwithstanding, I think that would be it.
Definitely would be harsh on Marler to drop him as he was excellent on Saturday.

Coming into the Championship, I always thought this game would be the one that would end the winning run (have had some doubt in the interim to be fair).

My heart tells me we can win this but it's St Patrick's Day on Friday and the Irish are hurt with a point to prove so they're going to raise their game.

England can win it but only if we play to our best, anything less and Ireland will take us (especially if the conditions are poor).

Ireland to squeeze home by 5.

"Ireland, unrealistically highly rated by themselves and their fans, have little chance of success against a rampant England side whose destiny to rule over all shall be gloriously realised."

Discuss

Lets see is there any reaction from our lads. Have to admit the excitement isn't there

I assume this is from first hand experience with the Munster guys?

I'm not surprised. There's been talk of how up for it Ireland are going to be because of the chance to deny England the Grand Slam - I'm really not convinced that to a professional sportsmen this is more of a motivation than the chance to win the tournament would be.

I assume this is from first hand experience with the Munster guys?

I'm not surprised. There's been talk of how up for it Ireland are going to be because of the chance to deny England the Grand Slam - I'm really not convinced that to a professional sportsmen this is more of a motivation than the chance to win the tournament would be.

No haven't been chatted to many Munster boys in Irish camp. Met Niall Scannell Sunday but nothing mentioned. Was speaking for myself only on not much excitement. Just find its been poor campaign.
Of course Irish boys who line out will go to win and have motivation be it Lions, stopping England or gathering form for Euro QFs

"Ireland, unrealistically highly rated by themselves and their fans, have little chance of success against a rampant England side whose destiny to rule over all shall be gloriously realised."

Discuss

The Late Axel quote sums Ireland up.

"You're never as good as they say, but equally not as bad as they say"

We are ok. Yes can beat anyone on our day but as stats show last few years we aren't a killer team who dominated any given period. Last 2 years show it best. We've been ok not great and played poor ball but can beat you if we click

The Late Axel quote sums Ireland up.

"You're never as good as they say, but equally not as bad as they say"

We are ok. Yes can beat anyone on our day but as stats show last few years we aren't a killer team who dominated any given period. Last 2 years show it best. We've been ok not great and played poor ball but can beat you if we click

That's an extremely good quote for any team, I don't think I've heard it before

If both teams click ... wow that would be a match. The Ireland who beat the ABs Vs the England who beat Scotland would be a match for the ages.

I'm not going to be fake-magnanimous about it, I don't hope you play your best. I hope you play just poorly enough for us to win fairly comfortably and without shredding my nerves. Can't see it happening though. And if both teams do play at their best, regardless of the result, it will be a match I'll remember forever.

That's an extremely good quote for any team, I don't think I've heard it before

If both teams click ... wow that would be a match. The Ireland who beat the ABs Vs the England who beat Scotland would be a match for the ages.

I'm not going to be fake-magnanimous about it, I don't hope you play your best. I hope you play just poorly enough for us to win fairly comfortably and without shredding my nerves. Can't see it happening though. And if both teams do play at their best, regardless of the result, it will be a match I'll remember forever.

Aye, I hope we have a classic "English halfbacks **** the bed in Dublin, Fullback joins in for good measure" type match that we're so fond of over here!! All the potential for it to be a dreary game as well as a classic!

Discuss

Hi Eddie, nice to have you join us. :)

I'm going to get quite drunk ahead of time and record the match to watch properly afterwards. My nerves are shot just thinking about this one.

Start Billy, Watson, bench Daly (he's amazing but I loathe the lack of bench cover - especially after what happened to Scotland), I'd even start Care to boot Youngs in the britches and pray that it kept him in form for more than one match by bringing him on after HT (mostly joking)

Last edited:
Sco beat Ire by 5, we beat Sco by 40. Let's make some allowance for playing away so Eng by 30. :D

As there's nothing at stake for Ireland their mindset might have a big bearing. I'll be fairly confident if we don't let them get away in the first half.

This is one where the performance doesn't matter and the result is all. 0 - 3 will be fine. Could be a behind the sofa job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts