• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 5: Scotland vs Italy (18/03/2017)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
6Nations.jpg

Scotland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Italy.png

Venue: Murrayfield
Time: 12:30 GMT

Assuming all the Scots with head knocks come back I fear Italy will lose by a wider margin than the 43-16 that Georgia lost by in November. Italy have shown good play in each game except Ireland, but only for about 20mins per game. And not always the first 20mins, so it isn't all about conditioning. All a bit infuriating. Hopefully Campagnaro will be fit after going off last week.

A farewell for Vern means Scotland will some motivation and I can't see them being held to under 40 points like Wales and England were.

- - - Updated - - -

Team announced already and no Campagnaro.

Italy: 15 Edoardo Padovani, 14 Angelo Esposito, 13 Tommaso Benvenuti, 12 Luke McLean, 11 Giovanbattista Venditti, 10 Carlo Canna, 9 Edoardo Gori, 8 Sergio Parisse (c), 7 Abraham Steyn, 6 Maxime Mata Mbanda', 5 George Biagi, 4 Marco Fuser, 3 Lorenzo Cittadini, 2 Ornel Gega, 1 Andrea Lovotti

Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Sami Panico, 18 Dario Chistolini, 19 Andries Van Schalkwyk, 20 Federico Ruzza, 21 Francesco Minto, 22 Marcello Violi, 23 Luca Sperandio

So for Scotland to finish second we pretty much need England to beat Ireland and Wales to get a non-bonus point win in France. As we're in the first game, France will know exactly what they need to do to finish above us and likewise Ireland thereafter.

Hogg being declared fit would be key to racking up a big score given how much we have relied on him for assists and tries. If Maitland is still out then we may need to call up Murchie from Glasgow to play at 15.

So for Scotland to finish second we pretty much need England to beat Ireland and Wales to get a non-bonus point win in France. As we're in the first game, France will know exactly what they need to do to finish above us and likewise Ireland thereafter.

Hogg being declared fit would be key to racking up a big score given how much we have relied on him for assists and tries. If Maitland is still out then we may need to call up Murchie from Glasgow to play at 15.

yeah murchie would be a good call because he is steady, blair kinghorn is a good player but I don't think he is ready yet, I liked Cuthbert who used to play for Edinburgh but he has gone to jersey now and disappeared off the radar, big win for the scots though here

Maitland is fit (was available on Saturday)

Scotland team to face Italy:

15. Hogg
14. Seymour
13. Jones
12. Dunbar
11. Visser
10. Russell
9. Price
1. Reid
2. Ford
3. Fagerson
4. R Gray
5. J Gray
6. Barclay (capt)
7. Watson
8. Wilson

Replacements: Brown, Berghan, Du Preez, Weir, Dell, Swinson, Pyrgos, Scott.

Pleasantly surprised that all the injury doubts have made it. Only one change at hooker with Ford coming in for Brown. Still no Maitland though but good to see Matt Scott make the bench after playing well for Gloucester.

No surprise to see Brown dropped after his brain fart effectively costing Scotland a chance at the tournament after 1 minute. Surprised he wasn't cited. Way too much firepower for Italy there sadly. Hopefully the Italian pack can limit quick ball for Scots in the first half at least, although I'm sceptical of even that.

Scotland team to face Italy:

15. Hogg
14. Seymour
13. Jones
12. Dunbar
11. Visser
10. Russell
9. Price
1. Reid
2. Ford
3. Fagerson
4. R Gray
5. J Gray
6. Barclay (capt)
7. Watson
8. Wilson

Replacements: Brown, Berghan, Du Preez, Weir, Dell, Swinson, Pyrgos, Scott.

Pleasantly surprised that all the injury doubts have made it. Only one change at hooker with Ford coming in for Brown. Still no Maitland though but good to see Matt Scott make the bench after playing well for Gloucester.

The team might change as Hogg,Wilson and Seymour are still part of the return to play protocols as part of the HIA

No surprise to see Brown dropped after his brain fart effectively costing Scotland a chance at the tournament after 1 minute. Surprised he wasn't cited. Way too much firepower for Italy there sadly. Hopefully the Italian pack can limit quick ball for Scots in the first half at least, although I'm sceptical of even that.
He was cited and the independent committee ruled the yellow card the hooker received at Twickenham was sufficient

Gilchrist will replace Richie Gray is the starting team

Apparently this fixture is sold out for the first time! Shows how much better the Scots have performed this tournament. Also, probably shows that quite few thought this could be the ***le winning game after the win vs Wales.

Either way, it's a great sign!

I think the sell out is down to knowing Scotland are (usually) an entertaining side. A lot of people lost interest when we were ****e and played awful rugby.

Good to see Grant back in, he's had awful luck with injuries.

Apparently this fixture is sold out for the first time! Shows how much better the Scots have performed this tournament. Also, probably shows that quite few thought this could be the ***le winning game after the win vs Wales.

Either way, it's a great sign!

A great sign indeed. Three wins would represent an excellent campaign especially when compared with prior year disappointments. The brand of rugby is also increasing the fan base and I'm sure many are keen to cheer on the team and give VC an appreciative send off while hopefully sealing a top half finish.

Was Nigel Owens right to step in there?

Foot in touch vs knock on

Was Nigel Owens right to step in there?

Foot in touch vs knock on

He was I think. The 'foot in touch' only counts if you catch the ball and I don't think Venditti had actually 'caught' it. Just sort of flapped at it.

Games a pigs ear ATM.

He was right to step in, and I'll bow to his superior knowledge as to which was the first offence (my instinct would say touch).
Well played the ref though for not seeming to care that he was publicly over-ruled.

Price is showing good game management, in a couple of years he'll be a really good player.
Dunbar is trying to show last week was just a blip. Might still be on the plane

Nice kick from Hogg there...

Hopefully his selfishness pays off and he scores 2 tries and wins me some dolla...

This game is terrible

Huw Jones wrecking his ankle(?) trying to step the fullback instead of just putting his head down was pretty daft.

Latest posts