• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 3: Australia v South Africa (09/09/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065414622115.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065418551640.png

Venue: nib Stadium, Perth
Time: 12:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Kurtley Beale, 11 Reece Hodge, 10 Bernard Foley, 9 Will Genia, 8 Sean McMahon, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Ned Hanigan, 5 Adam Coleman, 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Scott Sio

Substitutes: 16 Jordan Uelese, 17 Tom Robertson, 18 Allan Alaalatoa, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 Jack Dempsey, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Samu Kerevi, 23 Curtis Rona

South Africa: 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Raymond Rhule, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Uzair Cassiem, 7 Jaco Kriel, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth (captain), 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Beast Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Jean-Luc du Preez, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Damian de Allende

Nothing short of fascinating. A game that should help decide how much the Boks have improved and if they can have any sort of crack at this tournament. We should also know if the Wallabies have massively improved since their abject showings in June or if the ABs were simply misfiring on defence.

This game could be won by either side by 20+ points or be really close. I really don't have a clue at this stage.

... We should also know if the Wallabies have massively improved since their abject showings in June or if the ABs were simply misfiring on defence.

To break down their first 3 tries:
1. Folau's try was an intercept.. Opportunistic
2. Hooper's try off a line-out / maul.. Brilliance by him or ABs blip?
3. Foley's try off a sniping break from Genia who slipped Aaron Smith after their own scrum was almost turned around.. Both brilliance and ABs error.

The ABs were a bit spooked by these 3 tries as it all happened inside the 1st quarter and it set the tone for the rest of the match which turned out to be a cracker. My question is would this game have been much of a contest if the All Blacks were more defensively alert earlier on in the game? Although the Wallabies were good to claw back the lead twice and therefore they deserve some credit, they still lost and therefore I still think they have a lot to prove for this week.

The Boks have gone strength to strength in each game, even with losing a captain, some key players (Malherbe, Cronje), whilst also carrying the added weight in shortcomings for certain positions (Hougaard, Rhule). They are miles clear a better team than last year for this fixture and even then the result was close (23-17).

I think this game will be close, but based on this year's performances by both teams I am going for the Boks by 8.

This is a game that both sets of fans think they will win.
Australia and SA is high in confidence. If SA wins it would really help our confidence when playing the All Blacks. If SA loses it would indicate that we fell at the first pressure test and that the teams we payed previously were bad and made us look good.

I believe our bench will be too strong for Aus. Actually I think many of our bench players are better than our starters and that's a big reason why we have finished the last few games so strongly.

This is a game that both sets of fans think they will win.
Australia and SA is high in confidence. If SA wins it would really help our confidence when playing the All Blacks. If SA loses it would indicate that we fell at the first pressure test and that the teams we payed previously were bad and made us look good.

I believe our bench will be too strong for Aus. Actually I think many of our bench players are better than our starters and that's a big reason why we have finished the last few games so strongly.

Its true we have lifted our game in the 2nd half every game this year because of the bench. My only worry is we need to be in a position to make use of this and I still feel we are needlessly carrying excess baggage and have won this year despite Rhule iif I may target one player rather than because of him. I hope AC doesn't wait till he is forced to drop Rhule. I think the Wallabies and Kiwi's are looking at our right wing in anticipation. I still maintain Hougaard is a liability as a starting 9 but am not overly concerned as I expect Cronje will slot straight back in.

Other than that I feel we are about as strong as we can be even though Whiteley should come back in when fit and the jury is still out on Jesse Kriel, Andries Coetzee and Damian de Allende IMO. I am willing to give these guys another shot (as if its up to me LOL). I would like to see if their performances inprove if Lleyds might take up the #14 jersey and take some pressure off of them both defensively and in creating space out wide on attack. So I guess what I am saying is please can we get Lleyds in at #14!!!??

I think at home, this will be a bridge too far for the Bok's, I think they will be exposed by the Wobblies attack and as long as the defensive patterns of the 2nd test against the AB's are held then the Boks will have trouble scoring many tries. I think the Wallabies will probably win by at least 12 points.

In saying that I am not confident that they will maintain their recent form, the Aussies have had a bad habit of being very up and down with form over the last few years so if they have an off night then the Boks may well come out on top.

Would be nice to see Moore and Simmons dropped for this game, but not expecting many changes from the previous game.

It seems you missed this, Moore isn't playing.

Thanks, I hadnt seen that, I dont read foxsports and I hadnt seen it mentioned in other media. A definite bonus IMO.

In saying that I am not confident that they will maintain their recent form, the Aussies have had a bad habit of being very up and down with form over the last few years so if they have an off night then the Boks may well come out on top.

I actually think the Boks will win even if Australia is at their best. If they are not then we will just beat them by a bigger margin.
We are looking to beat NZ this year atleast at home and if we can't even beat Australia. No offense they are a great country but if we can't even beat them then how will we have ambitions of winning the tournament.

Aus played a good last game. But the Boks has been more consistent this year and therefore they really should be favourites.

Haha. I love how both sides have gone from thinking they might lose to Argentina (SA) and be humiliated by NZ (Oz) to now being filled with confidence. Glad to see some old fashioned Southern hemisphere self confidence re-emerging.

At least until November when Italy and Scotland will smash you both. :p

It certainly is going to be a very interesting match.
Which personality will turn up for Australia?
Jeckyll or Hyde?
How many anti-ARU banners will there be in the stands?
God help the Wallabies if they start losing. The Perth crowd will turn on them.

It certainly is going to be a very interesting match.
Which personality will turn up for Australia?
Jeckyll or Hyde?
How many anti-ARU banners will there be in the stands?
God help the Wallabies if they start losing. The Perth crowd will turn on them.

This is a very good point. I think it could be a very hostile crowd. And to add to that, there's a lot of expats from South Africa living in Perth. This might just be playing into the hands of the bokke. It might feel like a home game for them if the crowd is going to be anti-wallaby

Perth is like the second biggest city in Gauteng, maybe the Boks will have some support there. Going to be a cracker of a game.

I suppose it depends on how the Bok forwards get on. If they dominate it'll make things hard for Oz. If the Australian forwards can get enough ball I think they'll win. They are a very good attacking team.

Australia has named their team and has been added to the OP.

No Stephen Moore, no Dane Haylett-Petty. Jordan Uelese will make his Debut off the bench.

EDIT: Update

Springbok team also announced. POLLARD on the Bench.

Cronje back starting. PSDT starts in Mostert's place, who falls out of the 23 altogether, with De Jager coming on to the bench.

Rest of the starting line-up remains unchanged.

Last edited:

Latest posts