• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 4: New Zealand v South Africa (16/09/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065415463267.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065418551640.png

Venue: QBE Stadium, Albany
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2
Teams

New Zealand: 15 Damian McKenzie, 14 Nehe Milner-Skudder, 13 Ryan Crotty, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Rieko Ioane, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read (captain), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Liam Square, 5 Sam Whitelock, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Nepo Laulala, 2 Dane Coles, 1 Kane Hames

Substitutes: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19 Scott Barrett, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Lima Sopoaga, 23 Anton Lienert-Brown

South Africa: 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Raymond Rhule, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Uzair Cassiem, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth (captain), 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 21 Rudy Paige, 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Damian de Allende

Last edited:
If the Boks played the way they did in the first test with their exciting backs then we might have been in for a contest. The way that appeared to have been agreed at the indaba and that even the more tactically conservative Bulls and Sharks were trying to adopt this season.

It is clear that this is not the AC way and I'd suggest for all the good will AC has earnt for the results this year, he is fundamentally misreading modern rugby and hell bent on playing ten years in the past, but with players who excel in the much looser, running rugby Super Rugby style. I'd argue in hindsight that the Boks have moved away from the SARU's 2017 Super Rugby style a little bit more with each match since that first test against France, despite the players showing they can have success with that style.

Fullback, scrumhalf and fly half all showed major limitations with their territorial kicking last week, although I'd argue not as bad as they were in 2016. They will always be poor when their club side massively prioritises other skillsets and tactics over kicking away early phase ball. The wingers aren't accustomed to kick, chase and aerial challenges either.

The Boks are good defensively and the ABs are strangely vulnerable in recent months, so this won't be a blowout. But AC will roll out last weeks tactics again. Tactics that mean the Boks will not ship loads of points, but will at no point look like winning this match. For a neutral wanting a contest for this tournament that is tragic (in rugby terms).

yeah this is an interesting matchup. The Springboks are looking a lot better and while they still have things to work on they are much better than they have been recently and the team culture looks much improved and some key players look more settled and experienced in test footy.

in contrast the AB's have really been unsettled. The Lions tour threw a spanner in the works. The players put hard yards into super rugby, we had 4 teams involved in the finals and games against the lions then straight into a lions test series without a chance to really warm up, we have had to sprinkle in new players and now we've lost our two world class first choice Props to injury.

Also this game is not at eden park, north shore is known for its ex-pat South African population, i think this is the best chance the springboks have had to beat the AB's in NZ for a very long time.

AB selections are going to be critical.
Aaron Smith will be back
Whitelock will be back
I'm sure Squire will be back
I think its likely Ioane will be back at 11
Crotty will probably be back.

Will Crockett or Hames start at loosehead? Moody has become such a critical player and persisting with Crockett who is surely coming to the end of his test career has prevented us from building depth at losehead. Hames was excellent toward the end of super rugby I hope he can find that form and he also needs to work on his discipline and composure.

AB's will somehow have to manage these changes and also build on their previous performances.

if Ioane comes back into 11 how do the other outsides shuffle?

I would love to see Sopoaga at 10, barrett at 15 and NMS at 14

More likely would just be Ioane 11, DMac 15 and NMS 14 and Barrett 10

you can see that although dagg played fine i thought NMS just showed a bit more spark

if rhule starts the springboks have no chance, he makes the other backs work so much harder in defense

they also need to throw last weeks gameplan with the AB's tape... use a style that fits your players and stop kicking it away from anywhere on the field

if Ioane comes back into 11 how do the other outsides shuffle?

I would love to see Sopoaga at 10, barrett at 15 and NMS at 14

More likely would just be Ioane 11, DMac 15 and NMS 14 and Barrett 10

you can see that although dagg played fine i thought NMS just showed a bit more spark
Shag said that he sees Dagg as the leader of the back 3, so I think he'll start. Would rather see NMS though, he offers more and liked you said showed more spark in the last game than Dagg.
Don't like the idea of Beaudy at 15, he can stay where he is. I do think he should relieve the kicking duties to DMac though, it doesn't make sense having someone take the kicks who isn't even the best kicker on the park.

What I think we'll see:
11. Ioane
14. Dagg
15. DMac

What I'd like to see:
11. Ioane
14. NMS
15. DMac

the biggest problem with DMac kicking is that face he makes when lining up......o_O

I dont think the problem is the face, I think the problem is that the TV producers focus in on it every time he takes a kick! :p
All kickers have a ritual, the smile actually makes a lot of sense. Just allows him to relax, get into his routine and block things out.

I think the most likely side is
1, Crockett
2, Coles
3, laulala
4, Whitelock
5, Retalick
6, Squire
7, Cane
8, Read
9, A. Smith
10, Barrett
11, Ioane
12, SBW
13, Crotty
14, Dagg
15, Dmac

Codie Taylor, Cane Hames, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Scott Barrett, A. Savea, Perenara, Lima Sopoaga, ALB

think you're probably right

not sure why ALB isn't getting more starts, SBW has been solid but not match winning and at 32 he's not the future

Pity Coenie is out but I think we'll hold our own in the scrum. Hoping for less passivity on defense and an emphasis on attacking the breakdown as I think it'll be a massive contest. Glad it's Owens who is policing it.

If we can start as well as we did in Christchurch last year and then follow through in the second half without letting the kiwis run away with it I'll be pleased. Playing the full 80 will be critical and I think our replacements will be a key factor if we are going to hold our own. I think the bok management implementing standard conditioning practise amongst all the SR franchises is paying dividens in this respect.

I'm betting AC will stick with Rhule seeing as the Aussie test was the best chance to let Leyds have a healthy run off the bench and even if he is in this week's team I don't see AC giving Leyds much of a go when the pressure sets in.

Interested to see what role Pollard will play in this test if any, he has had some good touches against NZ opposition in the past. I'd be interested to see what he could bring in at centre off the bench, perhaps he could make the back line a touch more dynamic. I don't see him at 10 after having zero game time.

If we kick for territory and wait for the All Blacks to slip up we're doomed, so I expect to see a much more aggressive and direct approach on attack, and that we will not be as passive on defense as the Aus game with more emphasis on smothering ball and disrupting the kiwis early before they start firing.

I'm eager to see the team chosen, mostly to see who AC will pick at 4 and the back 3, and I'd like to think 8 was a bit more of an open as well but expecting to see a very similar lineup to the Aus game.

crocketts an impact prop. hames has gotta start
ALB and crotty are our best center pairing. whilst they aren't the strongest, fastest or most powerful they're smarter than any combo out there and i value brains above brawn in rugby

either way, i dont think ive felt this excited about a boks game in years. i sooooo hope boks bring it and bring it all. theyre shaping up really well but now that shape needs to be tested at the highest echelon of competition.

a good ol traditional toe to toe slugfest between honoured enemies. this is gonna be great.
lets pray for an epic contest played in the great spirit with no injuries

its true Crockett hasn't been a regular starter for years even at super rugby level, but he has to take that role as the experienced guy. I think its very unlikely Hames is going to come straight into the squad and start this game but if he does a good job for the final 30-40min I wouldn't be surprised to see him start subsequent tests

its true Crockett hasn't been a regular starter for years even at super rugby level, but he has to take that role as the experienced guy. I think its very unlikely Hames is going to come straight into the squad and start this game but if he does a good job for the final 30-40min I wouldn't be surprised to see him start subsequent tests
crockett is a better impact player than a starter. crockett isnt the best scrummager we have, but he has a decent running and tackling game

markReason at his comedic best!!

"He (Hanson) and his coaches knew two and a half years ago that the future was Cruden. But for the knee injury I suspect that he would have kept Carter out of the World Cup final."

"Don't get me wrong. Barrett is still a magnificent player, very likely the greatest fullback in the world. " obviously he hasnt heard of benSmith

so in this article, despite alluding that cruden was better than carter, he then goes on about how good carters skills and decision making were. shouldnt he be praising cruden?

Last edited:
Barrett is simply to good a player to not wear 10, despite his kicking going from inconsistent to abysmal in the game against the Pumas. However is there an unwritten rule in NZ that the 10 must take the kicks?

Remember all the penalties and conversions the great Stephen Larkham kicked? nope, neither do I, because we had Burke and Flatley. It did hurt us when they retired as Mortlock took up the kicking duties and wasn't much better than Barrett. Point being Larkham as great as he was a distributor and a general play kicker, was rarely used as a goal kicker.

I wish the AB's would get out of this thing we have, where the 10 does all the goal kicking and kicks for touch from penalties. The positive is that roles are clearly defined but there are many situations here we have a guy on field for a kick that would be better suited depending on the situation. Be it Dagg for a touch finder or of Barrett has missed a couple and is having an off day then let dmac take over, it doesn't need to be a big deal

Latest posts