• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Rugby Championship] Round 5: Argentina v New Zealand (01/10/2017)

one of the best second halves ive seen los pumas perform vs ab. also one of the worst first.
for the AB one of the lamest SH ever period.
of couse this is a b all blacks so that's why!
I enjoyed d mac. so good to see him. good FH For him. can't believe our scrum a disgrace.a decent. line out dow.
amazing how resourcefull the abs where. the know this damm game. those mauls in the end uncredible
in the fist halve jacko was harsh on us a few wrong. a forward pass in a try, a few penalties he didn't call. it was the other way around in the second.
how many times you've seen the AB 's with two yellows. seems unusual ?
finally: lavanini. what the f*** is wrong with this guy?

I disagree... its a long term project that will take time to bear fruit. If their Super-Rugby team is to be credible, then they must stick with what they are doing. Perhaps something similar to Australia for Los Pumas, where players with over a certain number of caps (I think the ARU level is 60) are eligible if they are playing outside of Super Rugby.

Yeah, I think that SANZAAR, as the owner of both the Rugby Championship and Super Rugby, probably likes the selection policy: it keeps top players in their competitions. I wouldn't be surprised if not allowing European based players to selected for the Pumas was a condition of Arg getting (and keeping) a Super Rugby team.

It's tough for the Pumas and Boks due to their 2nd world economies but I think that only allowing Super Rugby players to play in the national sides is in the best long term interests of SH rugby. It has also worked for New Zealand, whereas overseas selection hasn't exactly worked for the Boks, IHMO. I do think that Super Rugby should have one open player market between all participating unions though.

Yeah, I think that SANZAAR, as the owner of both the Rugby Championship and Super Rugby, probably likes the selection policy: it keeps top players in their competitions. I wouldn't be surprised if not allowing European based players to selected for the Pumas was a condition of Arg getting (and keeping) a Super Rugby team.

It's tough for the Pumas and Boks due to their 2nd world economies but I think that only allowing Super Rugby players to play in the national sides is in the best long term interests of SH rugby. It has also worked for New Zealand, whereas overseas selection hasn't exactly worked for the Boks, IHMO. I do think that Super Rugby should have one open player market between all participating unions though.
If your country's best players play in Europe, or elsewhere, then you should be playing them, not be limited to a domestic XV that gets little exposure to top flight rugby.

If your competition is devalued in doing so, then perhaps the problem is rooted elsewhere.

The issue for countries like Canada, Argentina, USA etc, who have internationals playing overseas is one of logistics, travel, and timing of training for their entire squad to attend. Practically impossible.

If your country's best players play in Europe, or elsewhere, then you should be playing them, not be limited to a domestic XV that gets little exposure to top flight rugby.

If your competition is devalued in doing so, then perhaps the problem is rooted elsewhere.

The issue for countries like Canada, Argentina, USA etc, who have internationals playing overseas is one of logistics, travel, and timing of training for their entire squad to attend. Practically impossible.

I don't think that this is exactly right. UAR is an enterprise and is therefore most interested in their own financial interests. In addition to the Pumas they also own the Jaguares. It only makes sense that they want to align the incentives of their employees to match theirs and they don't want their employees simultaneously working for their competitors.

Great effort by the young guns, they blew the first half away with some great attacking rugby.
Barrett is scary when he gets going.
D-Mac had a ball with that freedom.
Havili gets on the board.
Naholo scored a try.
Second half looked like the young guns didn't take the Pumas seriously enough and didn't get down to grind out the basics clearly.

Extended highlights.

A great defence of their ***le by the All Blacks. Pumas showing that they are competitive enough to add value to the tournament even though they may end up winless.

The gap between the ABs and the other three is as wide as it has ever been, a bit like the 6N about 10-20 years ago. These things are cyclical and the ABs are unlikely to be able to maintain this peak of performance indefinitely. But good luck to them.

These things are cyclical and the ABs are unlikely to be able to maintain this peak of performance indefinitely. But good luck to them.
I'm not sure this is the ABs peaking, they're obviously showing large periods of fantastic play but theyve still got room to improve.
Think it's more how bad the boks wallabies and Argentina are.
Argentina have regressed, It's like they've forgotten their strengths - what's happened to their forwards? Argentina used to be notorious for their brutal pack but they're gash now.

These things are cyclical and the ABs are unlikely to be able to maintain this peak of performance indefinitely. But good luck to them.

I really can't see why they wouldn't be able to maintain their peak of performance. The current lack of challengers is helping their case. Any able challenger would only spur them on. Now they know they could win the RC just fielding their B team.

I really can't see why they wouldn't be able to maintain their peak of performance. The current lack of challengers is helping their case. Any able challenger would only spur them on. Now they know they could win the RC just fielding their B team.
I don't think complacency will help them retain supremacy.

The AB's are never actively complacent, certainly not under Hansen.
However, any discussion about future results in a knockout situation like the RWC is largely pointless this far out from the gig.
We will be competitive, that much is a given.
Beyond that, injuries, form and old fashioned luck play a role

I'm not sure this is the ABs peaking, they're obviously showing large periods of fantastic play but theyve still got room to improve.
Think it's more how bad the boks wallabies and Argentina are.
Argentina have regressed, It's like they've forgotten their strengths - what's happened to their forwards? Argentina used to be notorious for their brutal pack but they're gash now.
I have to agree with this, I was skeptical of Jaguares inclusion in super rugby helping Argentina because having all their international players in one team is not only hugely limiting their potential but also playing with the same team in a competition less intense than international level as you are at international level will have a lot of teething problems whenever you make the step up. The Books are a mess at an administrative level and Aus are just a mess all round. It's a shame NZ won't play England or Ireland this Autumn because it would show whether they just bottled it against the Lions or that they aren't that good.

I don't think complacency will help them retain supremacy.

I didn't say they're complacent. They're not. I just think their B side is good enough to win the championship at this stage.

If your country's best players play in Europe, or elsewhere, then you should be playing them...The issue for countries like Canada, Argentina, USA etc, who have internationals playing overseas is one of logistics, travel, and timing of training for their entire squad to attend.
yup and from that training with each other comes team work. imo the most important component of a winning team.
so u gotta weigh up; are you going to select euro based players who cant make trainings? whilst the domestic players can easily come together and get to know each other?
i reckon argentiona have the right policy.
selecting overseas players is a must for these minnow countries but it is from neccessity. it doesnt work for SouthAfrica, Austalia, Samoa etc

Last edited:
omg that 2nd half was painful. was it the regulation 40 mins? cos it felt like 80.
whats happened to the puma's scrum? it was powder puff stuff from the pumas.
ABs were guilty of taking the peddle off and getting a bit too touchRugbyEsk. no one wanted to do the dirty work, cleaning/securing rucks, straightening the attack etc.... when the lead got too far ahead.
def sht that wouldn't have happened had retallick, whitelock and samCane had been on the field.

condolences to retallick. bro u take all the time you need. this is just rugby.

Latest posts