• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 Rugby Europe Championship

Great try from Belgium from a tap and go from inside their own 22. They really are a good addition to the REC if they can cut out the fighting. Nervous times again for Romania :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thought the Romanian touched that down personally. Wish I could remember the BP rules for the REC.

I don't know what's going on with our team, we seem to have a mental breakdown again. We simply gifted them two tries. We'd have to score 3 more tries than the opposition for a bonus point but we're suddenly so shaky and unconfident that we can lose the match...

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, Vlaicu scored a try from a maul, he actually played very well for his 100th cap.

We have the bonus point now, just have to prevent Belgium from scoring another try.

- - - Updated - - -

On well, we suck but mission accomplished. At least our qualifications matches are over for this year, we have now the time to fix our problems until next spring.

I couldn't believe Vlaicu kicked for the corner again rather than kick a straightforward penalty with the game on the line. That cost the match against the Germans. Good BP, turned out to be an okay RWC qualifying campaign for you in the end with the last two matches. You must hope Belgium defeat Portugal in any playoff so you can keep that BP.

I went through the Romanian website for the feed but appeared to get a Belgian child giving commentary; which was a new experience.

Also, Spain look to have already clinched a BP in Germany, it will be all to play for next year. I fear Spain will run riot in the second half infront of what appears to be a good German crowd. 29-3 at the half!

Last edited:
That kick was a critical moment of the match, I'm happy Vlaicu had the guts to go for the corner. Spain winning in Germany means we'll have to beat them in Madrid next year, I hope we repair the flaws in our game until then.

I didn't catch the second half (too many other matches). But Germany did well to make it respectable, winning the second half to finish 15-32 to Spain. Sounds like Spain messed up and lost the bonus point they'd won in the first half (underlying how the REC bonus point system is more elegant than the 6N one).

It's incredible that Spain lost the bonus point after the first half score, this could cost them a lot.

I expect a record score in the Georgia vs Russia match, the Russians are using their reserves (not like their starters did very well so far) and are even playing a prop at lock, I've never heard of such an improvisation at this level.

After Germany's first try, a fight broke out and both teams got yellow carded for it. There was a real change in tactics from Germany after that - they stopped kicking, stopped taking the ball wide, used offloads all the time and basically waited for Spain to miss tackles / not defend a maul properly.

Most frustrating thing from the first half: every time Spain took a penalty quickly they took Germany totally off guard. A real relief Germany could at least win the 2nd half, but unfortunately couldn't reign the score in enough to avoid the 1.5x weighting in the rankings calculation. So we lose 1.93 rankings points to Spain - more than we won off Romania. Portugal will reclaim the 11th spot in Europe next week, failing something spectacular in Russia. (or in Spain, depending on rounding errors)

Congrats to Spain. They came prepared and played well. Those 1.93 points put them at rank 18 in the world with a 0.27 point margin ahead of Namibia.

Last edited:
Despite the Spanish result and decent first half performance I think I have overrated them a touch based on their performances against Uruguay and Tonga. I have not see play of that level in their REC games. But I don't think they are undeserved holders of 18th in the world.

Germany look to be going down to 24th which is not a fair reflection of their ability. Their maul is a real weapon and it is a possible sign of respect to Germany that Russia are resting so many starters this weekend. They will be terrified of losing to Germany and slipping further down the European pecking order.

With Russia doing alright in Georgia it looks like they missed out on a winning bonus point? Does this mean Romania can win the tournament if they defeat Georgia? If so I imagine Georgia will bring in the big guns for that match so they can maintain the narrative of them being "too good for the REC".

Surprising result, I expected Georgia to smash them.

Romania could have won the tournament even if Georgia got the bonus but this makes it easier. It's highly unlikely though, given our current form. The Georgians already got many of their top players in today's match, including Gorgodze, and probably more will join, while we'll most likely be depleted as usual.

If Russia wins against Germany next week, they could be back in the RWC contest. Their first match next year is at home against Spain, a win in that one and they can fight for the repechage spot.

I only watched fragments of today's match but I saw the Georgian fans using lasers to blind the Russian kicker, besides their usual loud booing. It's the first time when I see this hooligan behaviour in a rugby match and I think it's absolutely disgraceful.

I never noticed that. I saw them all putting the torchlights on on their phone (to go along with a particular chant), but I'm guessing you saw something different to that too?

The match itself was perhaps the best quality of the tournament so far and a good advert for it. The Russian backs playing more like their club form and the forwards somehow not being destroyed. I liked three of the Georgian tries too. Add in the Belgian try and there will be some good highlight material for the REC this weekend.

If Russia play like that they should beat Germany at home and stay in the hunt for the RWC. But they are so unpredictable.

Didn't see the torchlight part, I only watched some of the first half. The lasers incident was right before half time, when the Russian kicker missed a penalty.

The match surely was a good advert for the tournament since it was played in a modern stadium, on a good pitch, with a huge crowd and a professional broadcast (rare events in the REC). The ref also looked decent, unlike the clowns usually sent to these games. The second try (the one started by the fullback) was nice, haven't seen the second half ones.

Whoever wins Russia vs Germany next week can still hope to qualify for the RWC. Russia would have the best chances from the European nations to qualify through the repechage since all of their players are home-based and always available. The repechage is long, it would be impossible for the other teams to make foreign clubs release their players and would end up severely understrength.

With Russia doing alright in Georgia it looks like they missed out on a winning bonus point? Does this mean Romania can win the tournament if they defeat Georgia? If so I imagine Georgia will bring in the big guns for that match so they can maintain the narrative of them being "too good for the REC".
If there is such a narrative it's because.
The match surely was a good advert for the tournament since it was played in a modern stadium, on a good pitch, with a huge crowd and a professional broadcast (rare events in the REC). The ref also looked decent, unlike the clowns usually sent to these games. The second try (the one started by the fullback) was nice, haven't seen the second half ones.
We always put 100% in the organization, tell me when was the last time Georgia had an organizational problem during the home games? before 2007 maybe?

What team besides Romania takes the tournament seriously ? at this point Antim cup has become more prestigious than REC ***le. With all due respect to the teams, Spain only brings their good players when it's RWC qualification time. Russia, the largest country in the world, can't find a place to play and might be the least organized union on the face of the earth. Germany and Belgium just starting to show the signs of life for the last two years and Portugal the only team to win the ENC besides the big two got freaking relegated.

We have nothing to win and everything to lose in this tournament. It is a good place to test new blood. We played how many u21 players in this tournament ? 10 ? 12 ?. But we slip up once, with this kindergarten on the field, which is totally possible and hundred assholes are gonna jump out and say how we have a terrible team and can't beat semi-pro sides. We win every game and get criticized for not winning with larger margins or not playing a good game. This year, Geniuses at WR came up with a new qualifying format which leaves us as a mere test game and REC ***le a formality.

At this point Id rather have tests played against Tier 2 European sides to help them develop, and just play an antim Cup match vs Romania due to it's prestige.

highlights from todays game
[video]https://twitter.com/GeorgianRugby/status/840987447970390019[/video]

Last edited:
I agree with most of that Toko but we will see just how much of a formality the ***le is in the final round. I sympathise with your point, particularly as Argentina can play non-test matches in the ARC so have no risk.

Article on the REC with a score error and false information that Germany have been Eliminated. Have a word with your new colleagues Dragos! :p

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/rugby-europe-wrap-georgia-defeat-russia/

Hey, I think it's amazing that Planet Rugby writes about the REC, let's not be picky about a few mistakes.

I agree the competition is bad for Georgia this year since you have nothing to gain but any defeat will be used against you. The organization of matches in Georgia is good but you should not become complacent. There is work to do on some other aspects like educating the fans (a single moron with a laser can ruin your image if a Tier 1 nations comes to visit) and increasing ticket prices to actually generate some revenues from them. I also think that bringing so many soldiers in uniform at the Russia match was a childish idea.

Nice touch from Georgian broadcaster to let the ref sound and not a local commentator, should be followed by all other broadcasters.

Hey, I think it's amazing that Planet Rugby writes about the REC, let's not be picky about a few mistakes.

I agree the competition is bad for Georgia this year since you have nothing to gain but any defeat will be used against you. The organization of matches in Georgia is good but you should not become complacent. There is work to do on some other aspects like educating the fans (a single moron with a laser can ruin your image if a Tier 1 nations comes to visit) and increasing ticket prices to actually generate some revenues from them. I also think that bringing so many soldiers in uniform at the Russia match was a childish idea.
They're only improving year to year. TMO is the one thing they still couldn't get which is annoying. Educating fans is parent's work, and if you saw some of the rural Georgians you wouldn't bother, some of the most stubborn people on the planet. At some point we might get fan detector cameras but until then there's nothing we can do about a random asshole, and in 55k people there will always be a casual asshole who doesn't give a **** about Rugby and is there just because it's "cool". Soldiers get discounts to most games I think, same for football. I don't think it's a big deal.

Do you feel that Georgia are ready to enter the six nations in some form toko?
I feel like first we need a franchise in Pro12 or ProD2, maybe even SuperRugby if the rumors are true, after that yeah we'll be ready. Or in fact if we were to make it to one of those leagues, we wouldn't even need 6N as much.

As far as internationals go I think it's more important for every aspiring nation to have a chance of competing at the top, so just letting Georgia in and making it a 7nation private club instead of 6 wouldn't change much for rugby in general.

Some of our younger backs are impressive, but they don't have an opportunity to train with top sides like British and French kids do. That means they're lagging behind in some aspects like S&C and Nutrition. We saw how little muscle couple of Georgian youngsters had during this tournament, as well as last year's JWC, compared to them Welsh and Irish kids looked like monsters, even if the technical skills were evenly matched we were lagging behind in other aspects. If they don't develop as well physically at that age they will always be one step behind.

Georgian Rugby Union knows this very well. They've been trying to find an opportunity to join a pro league, effectively creating platform for bringing our youth on the same level as 6N/4N sides.

We shall see if we've made any progress in this respect during summer JWC.

Latest posts