• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 Season Discussion

Caitlyn Jenner

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Not sure if anyone still uses this sub-forum but I'm interested so thought I might as well start up a thread and give some thoughts...

I'm personally looking forward to the NPC more than I have in a while. Haven't even really followed it the past few years, but I'm keen to get back into it.

So the Premiership teams are: Canterbury, Counties, Taranaki, Auckland, Waikato, North Harbour and Tasman

And the Championship teams are: Wellington, Hawkes Bay, Otago, Manawatu, Southland, Northland and Bay of Plenty

Logic says that Canterbury will win it again and, especially off the back of the success of the Crusaders, I think that they're the clear favourites. Looking at their squad, their potential 1st XV looks very solid:
1. Daniel Lienert-Brown
2. Ben Funnell
3. Siate Tokolahi
4. Dominic Bird
5. Mitchell Dunshea
6. Reed Prinsep
7. Matt Todd
8. Luke Whitelock
9. Mitchel Drummond
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. George Bridge
12. Rob Thompson
13. Tim Bateman
14. Poasa Waqanibau
15. Josh Mckay

That being said, there are definitely some squads to challenge them this year. IMO Taranaki are a team to watch... they've got an exciting bunch, especially in the backline, and have a great mix of youth and experience. A promising line-up they could put out:
1. Mitchell Graham
2. Ricky Ricitelli
3. Angus Ta'avao
4. Leighton Price
5. Leon Power
6. Finn Hoeata
7. Lachlan Boshier
8. Toa Halafihi
9. TTT
10. Marty McKenzie
11. Manasa Mataele
12. Charlie Ngatai
13. Seta Tamanivalu
14. Declan O'Donnell
15. Stephen Perofeta

(If they had their ABs, their backline would be dynamite!.... 9. TTT 10. B. Barrett 11. Mataele 12. Ngatai 13. Tamanivalu 14. Naholo 15. J. Barrett)

As for the championship, who knows....
Surely Wellington should have the talent at their disposal to take it out, but they've well under-performed recently. Otago were strong last year and will be again, while both the Bays should be right in the mix.

Don't think Southland or Northland have the talent to do too much damage and Manawatu, who were probably expecting to have NMS and Laumape, probs won't have the firepower to challenge much either.

My prediction: Canterbury and Otago to win.

Last edited:
Do any of the Kiwi websites stream the games? I've always liked the NPC and North Harbour are my adopted team.

Auckland's going to have a killer backline with Moala and Fekitoa. That's an international centre pairing. Then the likes of Nanai and Aso on the wings....

Auckland's going to have a killer backline with Moala and Fekitoa. That's an international centre pairing. Then the likes of Nanai and Aso on the wings....
Yup, looking at Auckland's squad again, I think they actually have the strongest bunch along with Canterbury. Probably the best backline and a very solid back. Other than all the obvious established talent in their backline, I'm really looking forward to seeing Caleb Clarke get some game time... he was awesome at the U20WC and looks a star in the making.

The Auckland team I'd like to see:
1. Prattley
2. Pleasants-Tate
3. Renata
4. Scrafton (until Fatialofa returns from injury)
5. Tuipolotu
6. Seu
7. Gibson
8. Ioane
9. Hickey
10. Bowden
11. Clarke
12. Moala
13. Fekitoa
14. Aso
15. Nanai

Damn that is a dangerous looking side, even the pack is stacked with Super Rugby level class...

Some great action over the weekend. Some standouts for me:

Canterbury were absolute class, will be very hard to stop.
Taranaki's backline looked as lethal as I thought it would.
The Northland comeback today was awesome.
The Lions vs Turbos game was a great ding dong battle. Milner-Skudder was all class for the Turbos.. The Bus had a mixed game for the Lions but wasn't bad. Sam Lousi continued his SR form, imo he's one of the best locks in the country right now. Aumua is an absolute star in waiting... He's like a Coles-Savea hybrid... had a great game, imo man of the match. Possible EOY bolter? We are a bit short on hookers...

Some great action over the weekend. Some standouts for me:

Canterbury were absolute class, will be very hard to stop.
Taranaki's backline looked as lethal as I thought it would.
The Northland comeback today was awesome.
The Lions vs Turbos game was a great ding dong battle. Milner-Skudder was all class for the Turbos.. The Bus had a mixed game for the Lions but wasn't bad. Sam Lousi continued his SR form, imo he's one of the best locks in the country right now. Aumua is an absolute star in waiting... He's like a Coles-Savea hybrid... had a great game, imo man of the match. Possible EOY bolter? We are a bit short on hookers...
Is Aumua the one that was tearing teams apart in the U20 RWC? What franchise is he signed for (if any)?

Coles starting with him coming off the bench is the stuff of nightmares. It's just a shame about the rest of the tight 5.
Add to that Riccitelli too. There's gonna be a lot of competition there. Yea like you say shame about the rest of the tight 5, though I do really like the looks of Lousi atm.

Add to that Riccitelli too. There's gonna be a lot of competition there. Yea like you say shame about the rest of the tight 5, though I do really like the looks of Lousi atm.
What's the story with Uhila? He always seems to be quite hyped up but then never starts. Is it just kind of a club classic type situation.

That's the one! He's with the canes :D
Our hooker stocks are very healthy.

Aumua looked a class apart at U20 level. Like a seasoned test player versus kids. I think he's a star in the making.

I was also really impressed with Caleb Clarke, Luke Jacobsen and Orbyn Leger. Probably the best team I've seen at U20 level in a while to be fair.

What's the story with Uhila? He always seems to be quite hyped up but then never starts. Is it just kind of a club classic type situation.
He's more of a colt hero than anything I think. Never really been a top class prop, but I do think he probably deserved a bit more game time this year. He was good for us last year.

Really disappointing finish in that Counties vs Auckland game. Confusion with the clock led to bad decisions by both teams in the last 3 minutes, and FT called when the clock on my stream was only on about 78'.

Tasman vs Canterbury was like a replay of Crusaders vs Highlanders. They get all the points off of diddly squat possession and territory. I agree they look unstoppable, might even get 50 on the table.
Makes me wonder if a Canterbury 'A' team would be competitive. Do they have that depth?

Taranaki was the best game to watch.

BTW was it deliberate that both of the 2016 finals were repeated in Week 1? i.e. North Harbour vs Otago (champ final) and Tasman vs Canterbury (prem final)

A good site to watch games is stream2watch
I find Vip to be a real danger. They are brilliant with their pop ups. Stream2watch is so much better and not such a sophisticated pop up system.

Anyone know if there is a stats table like espn....the usual carries, metres run etc
I could have sworn there was a publication in N that breaks it all down...can't ffind it now.

I see Otago managed to get both bonus points from their game vs Canterbury. It looks like they might have even been leading at 76'.

Did anyone see what the story was there?

So this Aumua kid really is looking like the real deal. Player of the comp so far, just a freakish talent. When I said in a round 1 that he could be an EOY tour bolter it was more a leftfield suggestion than anything, but now I'm actually starting to like the idea...
He did completely outplay Nathan Harris tonight.

Latest posts