• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] QF1: Brumbies vs. Hurricanes (21/07/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

1ZOgfhx.png
yVAZL2m.jpg

Venue: GIO Stadium
Time: 11:45 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Coles possibly back on the bench, Barrett should be back, not sure about Aso... if he is out then it'll be interesting to see what they do at 13 considering Proctor is still out. I personally would like to see Jordie there again and bring CJ onto the wing (imo he's still all class and better than Goosen), not only because Jordie did well there week year but because I really like having Nehe at the back. Hopefully Aso is back and none of that matters though.

In any case, it should be a Canes win and a fairly comfortable one at that. I think it would be a travesty if the Brumbies won given how the season has gone, but the ludicrous system means that that's a real possibility. If that happens imma be a very shitty one.

On a side note, there is some awesome news with this game... Christian Lealiifano is expected to make his return to pro rugby following his battle with leukemia... Awesome news!

Last edited:
Coles possibly back on the bench, Barrett should be back, not sure about Aso...
What makes you think so? Is there any news about their health?
if he is out then it'll be interesting to see what they do considering Proctor is still out. I personally would like to see Jordie there again and bring CJ onto the wing (imo he's still all class and better than Goosen), not only because Jordie did well there last year but becasue I really like having Nehe at the back.
CJ is safe under high balls, he's a classy player and not having him in the starting backline would be a shame. His experience also means he can help his teammates on defense.
I myself like the idea to keep Jordie at center because that position suits his core skills more. He's a very good distributor above all, SBW style, and runs some clever lines. He also defends really well and tackles hard inside the 2nd five or center narrow channels. I've always thought Aso is a winger, not a center.

CJ is safe under high balls, he's a classy player and not having him in the starting backline would be a shame. His experience also means he can help his teammates on defense.
I myself like the idea to keep Jordie at center because that position suits his core skills more. He's a very good distributor above all, SBW style, and runs some clever lines. He also defends really well and tackles hard inside the 2nd five or center narrow channels. I've always thought Aso is a winger, not a center.

Agree with everything you say except regarding his defence. Basically his biggest (and arguably his only) major weakness is his defence. Not sure what the stat is but have heard 60% success rate floating around.

He runs bloody good channels though and he proved that at 13 last weekend.

One thing I noticed with the Saders is the really tried to test NMS and Goosen under the high ball, apart from a few at the start, they were relatively ok under it but it definitely is a work on for them both, not helped by their height. Jane rectifies that a bit.

Agree with everything you say except regarding his defence. Basically his biggest (and arguably his only) major weakness is his defence. Not sure what the stat is but have heard 60% success rate floating around.

He runs bloody good channels though and he proved that at 13 last weekend.

One thing I noticed with the Saders is the really tried to test NMS and Goosen under the high ball, apart from a few at the start, they were relatively ok under it but it definitely is a work on for them both, not helped by their height. Jane rectifies that a bit.
Which is why I said his defense is good inside narrow channels. He used to force turnover after turnover when he was playing age grade rugby thanks to his powerful tackles. But then, he was playing at 12...
He still doesn't master the fullback position and all its subtleties, which is why his tackle stats are so poor this year. Defense remains the main role of a fullback, and it is one of the most complex aspects of that position. It is very different compared to line defense, because there seems to be so many holes to cover, and it is truly tricky to defend against multiple players running at you with pace. You need a strong and deep understanding of how to force a player to run towards the touch line and then commit in the tackle.
As with Laumape now learning how to be a better second five, Jordie also has to learn how to become a fullback, because he is a second five at heart (and I think he should be playing directly outside Beauden, but well, even Ngani said he'd be out of job if Jordie decided he wanted to play 12 for the Hurricanes)

Last edited:
3nd most points on the log, not only do they finish 5th but they dont even get a home 1/4 or semi final... how sad is this conference system... anyways

I love how the canes manage to score the most point for (PF) year in and out - even when playing in the strongest Conference... Lions in 2nd place with 590, only 6 less than the canes but they are in a much weaker conference

I cant see the Brumbies beating the Canes even on home soil...

Lions vs Canes [SF]
Saders vs Chiefs [SF]

All NZ Final...

Canes vs Chiefs

Canes to take it because they haven't beaten the chiefs this year, so its pay back

They've said Coles is pushing hard to come off the bench this weekend and that it's a real possibility. Barrett just had a flu-like sickness so presumably would've recovered. Aso tweaked a hamstring I believe so not sure about him... doesn't sound bad but could very well keep him out.

They've said Coles is pushing hard to come off the bench this weekend and that it's a real possibility. Barrett just had a flu-like sickness so presumably would've recovered. Aso tweaked a hamstring I believe so not sure about him... doesn't sound bad but could very well keep him out.
Thanks for the feedback!

for the Brumbies to win this would be utterly bizarre and divorced from all form and logic. Even with home advantage.

I also agree on the comments regarding CJ, he may not have the speed he used too but he is so experienced. So good under the high ball and on defense, I honestly think he should be one of the first names down for the canes and in test selection frame as well. He also has some very handy skills on attack that can be a point of difference.

for the Brumbies to win this would be utterly bizarre and divorced from all form and logic. Even with home advantage.
agree but if canes lose this then its their own d4m fault for not getting up for this game. people writing off brumbies is a dangerous attitude for the canes to believe in.
I also agree on the comments regarding CJ, he may not have the speed he used too but he is so experienced.
CJ's an enigma. the majority of the tries he's scored for the ABs he never shouldve been allowed to score. he's a magician that makes tries out of nothing. CJ brings so much to the team and should be starting ahead of julian

Every time a team changes around their backline in a test or finals series they tempt fate and often lose. It certainly applies to the AB's and I hope like hell Boyd and co stick with the side that has run riot for most of the season. Perenara, BB, Laumape, Aso, Nene, Jules and Jordie, with CJ off the bench. The key forward they need playing is Abbott, sorely missed in set plays when out. If Coles gets the last 30 minutes it will be like having 4 loose forwards just when they are a very dangerous commodity.

Couple of passing comments. Hard to fault the "Canes defence - just look at their stats and remember they never gave away a try in the whole finals series last season.

And what idiots managed to produce a draw which gave the Lions not one game against a kiwi side. If they had even a couple The Crusaders would have probably topped the comp. The Cane's walloped them in SA last year before eventually winning the final. The draw absolutely defies logic unless it was done solely by the staff of the Lions! I doubt if it would stand up to any legal challenge as it is cruelly unfair and will certainly never be allowed to happen again.

C'mon "Canes, strut your stuff in Canberra and show the AB selectors what the World's best backline looks like!

Brumbies look very eagre to end their season. Team already up. Fantastic to see Leali'ifano's name thre!

Brumbies

15 Tom Banks, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani,12 Andrew Smith,11 James Dargaville, 10 Wharenui Hawera, 9 Joe Powell, 8 Jordan Smiler, 7 Chris Alcock, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Sam Carter (captain), 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Josh Mann-Rea, 1 Scott Sio

Substitutes: 16 Robbie Abel, 17 Ben Alexander, 18 Leslie Leuluaialii-Makin, 19 Blake Enever, 20 Jarrad Butler, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Jordan Jackson-Hope, 23 Christian Leali'ifano

I know Cait's is not gonna like this, and basing this entirely in what I saw from the Chiefs Brumbies match last week, but I sniff an upset. The Brumbies played a pretty new group last week and were competitive for large parts. If they get the benefit of decisions, and are able to get some score board rolling over, then might be closer than certainly I would expect. I'll be watching with intrigue.

The Brumbies have been competitive in a number of NZ contests without seriously threatening for a win. At least they aren't in the tailspin they were last year heading into the playoffs. I expect a contest but a comfortable 10-20 point cushion for the Hurricanes.

The Brumbies are alright and they are a fairly well coached side but they just don't have the talent I'm afraid, their team is like 50% journeyman, 20% players not up to super rugby standard, 30% genuinely good players, and probably zero stars, they are all under performing with the Warratahs.

The Brumbies are alright and they are a fairly well coached side but they just don't have the talent I'm afraid, their team is like 50% journeyman, 20% players not up to super rugby standard, 30% genuinely good players, and probably zero stars, they are all under performing with the Warratahs.
and i'm not sure bringing lealiifano in at this stage is gonna be constructive.
if anything this seems desperate. larkhams losing it.

Get off the acid ;)
he's got a point tho. canes are notorious for being giant killers then losing to minnows. canes have to be mentally ready for this game and not look ahead to the next .
whilst i didnt really see what nubiwan saw in the brumbies chiefs game (i thought brumbies kept shooting themselves in the foot), i see the brumbies winning if everything goes right for them and canes have an off day. brumbies have nothing to lose; that makes them dangerous.

Latest posts