• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] QF4: Stormers vs. Chiefs (22/07/2017)

Tight game, didn't think either team were particularly good but the little extra bit of class from the Chiefs probably mad the difference... they're gonna have to step it up next week though.

A bit of an edgy affair that one too. Probably a sign the Stormers have made some progress in the past 12 months, though I doubt that is all that much consolation.

There's been a decided lack of quality in today's semi-finals. All the sides looked nervous, edgy and one or two were below par.

Best four teams made it through hard to argue with that. Chiefs were better in a bit of an arm wrestle. Disappointed to lose but we didn't deserve to win today. Well played Chiefs and good luck going forward.

I thought the chiefs were pretty good and controlled a lot of the game and stayed ahead, the first half they created a lot of pressure and the stormers gave away kickable penalties and defended pretty well to keep he Chiefs out. Some lose breakdowns and average handling when they had momentum prevented the chiefs from doing more. Seemed like the only time in the game when the stormers started to stretch the chiefs was when Cane was in the bin.

Kane and Laulala have been very good the last couple of weeks, chiefs scrum is looking strong.
The lose forward Trio was excellent, other than Canes sin bin. Leitch has found some form again and Messam was everywhere.
TKB & Cruden were both good. Fair to say that Cruden has not been his best this last half of the season but he is doing enough.
Lowe and McKenzie were great, unusually not to see them involved in trys but it wasn't that sort of game. Was interesting to see Lowe hang around the rucks on attack and kinda act like an extra lose forward and he did pretty well...
Donald had a really good game, some telling runs probably left his support behind a bit and the final options didn't work out but still looked good. ALB was solid, great on defense.

Good win to the chiefs considering the travel and all. Going to be a huge ask to go all the way back to NZ and take on the crusaders...

Worth stating that Peyper seemed perfectly even handed to me and was a non-factor in the match. There were a couple of debatable knock on calls, but that could have been his touch judge. I thought Cane's yellow was entirely justified given the rules.

The Chiefs do seem to have a tactic of standing quite upright while tackling. I think that might bite them on the backside as there is a lot of contact around the shoulder area.

Worth stating that Peyper seemed perfectly even handed to me and was a non-factor in the match. There were a couple of debatable knock on calls, but that could have been his touch judge. I thought Cane's yellow was entirely justified given the rules.

The Chiefs do seem to have a tactic of standing quite upright while tackling. I think that might bite them on the backside as there is a lot of contact around the shoulder area.
Agreed, Cane's yellow was the TMO anyway, Peyper seemed to let it go with a penalty, but the TMO kinda forced the issue.

One thing that dawned on me during this match was just how horrendous and aimless some of the territorial kicking was. In the end, a cup tie, and its all about the win, but it was far from a classic. For the Chiefs, a case of who cares, for the home side, you have to feel they should have been better. Reasonably even match, but far from entertaining. Perhaps if you had a vested interest in one of the sides, it was more captivating as a spectacle.

Despite the closeness of the scoreline for much of the game, I never really felt like the Chiefs were going to lose that one. They did enough all night and the Stormers just looked to be hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Probably the best the stormers have played, but still not good enough against a classy chiefs outfit.

It will be a big ask for the Chiefs to fly all the way back to NZ and get up for the Saders, but thats another price of the stupidity of 2 SA conferences.

Despite the closeness of the scoreline for much of the game, I never really felt like the Chiefs were going to lose that one. They did enough all night and the Stormers just looked to be hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Probably the best the stormers have played, but still not good enough against a classy chiefs outfit.

It will be a big ask for the Chiefs to fly all the way back to NZ and get up for the Saders, but thats another price of the stupidity of 2 SA conferences.

yeah I totally agree, that is pretty much how I saw the game

I'm mulling over the potential situation where the Lions beat the Hurricanes and the Chiefs beat the crusaders.

That will mean the Chiefs would have to make their third long haul trip to South africa this season and 2nd in as many weeks to play the lions who haven't had to make a trip to NZ the entire season.

Well, if there was one thing I took from these QF's, (apart from the Brumbies game), was that in the playoffs, it's going to be much tighter affairs. This game was great to watch from a neutral's perspective.

I think the player that stood out the most for me in this game was James Lowe. He was everywhere, on defence and in attack.

Sorry Stormers, the most positive thing I can say to you is that you have found another gem in Willemse at fly half. For a 19 year old, he certainly didn't seem to have nerves for the occasion.

Still a bit raw this side. I'm still fuming over Peyper not manning up and awarding the Stormers a penalty for Messam ripping the ball while lying full length flat on the ground. That was a penalty all day long and we needed that line out to drive over at the death. Aprt from the soft yellow and as soft penalty against Carr I really did feel he let the Chiefs get away with murder at the breakdown all day long in small margins which meant we couldn't get going.

That said I am still proud of the lads and hope we can keep a hold on our guys and build continuity for once. Hoping for a better format and less travel for our boys as well. A big step up from last season overall the season taken as a whole and considering the amount of injury disruptions. Goal kicking and soft penalties (its probably bias but my feeling was we were dealt with slightly more pedantically) let us down in a tight contest. The tackling was good overall from both teams but I can't see either of us or the Chiefs terribly troubling any of the other 3 Semi Finalists.

i have one kid i coach and i'm trying to teach him to go low in the tackle and he just wont do it. saying that he'll stand up the ball carrier and create a maul almost every time. a couple of times his hit slips up but i'm averse to coaching it out of him because he's a smart kid specifically going for a maul turnover

Latest posts