• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 12: Bulls vs. Highlanders (13/05/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

0fxNQrK.png
V
910mtWQ.jpg

Venue: Loftus Versfeld
Time: 15:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Bulls: 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Jade Stighling, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Burger Odendaal, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Hanro Liebenberg (captain), 7 Jannes Kirsten, 6 Ruan Steenkamp, 5 RG Snyman, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Lizo Gqoboka

Substitutes: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Pierre Schoeman, 18 Coenraad van Vuuren, 19 Lood de Jager, 20 Nic de Jager, 21 Rudy Paige, 22 Tony Jantjies, 23 Jan Serfontein

Highlanders: 15 Matt Faddes, 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Richard Buckman, 11 Patrick Osborne, 10 Marty Banks, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Gareth Evans, 7 Dillon Hunt, 6 Elliot Dixon, 5 Tom Franklin, 5 Alex Ainley, 4 Siosuia Halanukonuka, 2 Ash Dixon (captain), 1 Aki Seiuli

Substitutes: 16 Greg Pleasants-Tate, 17 Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18 Siate Tokolahi, 19 Joe Wheeler, 20 Jackson Hemopo, 21 Kayne Hammington, 22 Fletcher Smith, 23 Teihorangi Walden

Last edited:
Haven't been paying much attention to the bulls this year, how you playing, what are our chances?

Haven't been paying much attention to the bulls this year, how you playing, what are our chances?

We have been rather poor this year. And perhaps last week's match against the Crusaders was a wake-up call on how poor we are. But most agree that it's more of a coaching issue than a player issue.

This past weekend was our first loss at home, in 2 years...

But with that said, the Highlanders only just managed to scrape past the Cheetahs, and we beat the Cheetahs at Loftus, so it might be a bit closer.

The Cheetahs actually got ahead via beating Highlanders defenders and scoring actual tries while the Bulls have been struggling with penetration in the backs. Can't see the Bulls take this.

The Cheetahs actually got ahead via beating Highlanders defenders and scoring actual tries while the Bulls have been struggling with penetration in the backs. Can't see the Bulls take this.

True, but when we fielded Jan Serfontein in the last 20 minutes, there seemed to be a bit more penetration from our backs, which lead to us scoring 3 tries in the end. Something I didn't think would happen on Saturday.

I think the Bulls could roll the Highlanders with a bit of a peformance at home.
The 2nd week on the road is the toughest.

The Cheetahs actually got ahead via beating Highlanders defenders
yup. 31 tackles landers missed. usually that many misses would cost you the game and wouldve if cheetahs ha better D. landers cannot afford to let that happen again.

I think the highlanders are the better team but will they be good enough to win at loftus? I think so but they need to fix up their defense and have another big effort from the Forwards to combat the big bulls pack.

Defence has been a big pet of our game so I'd hope the team got a ticket for dropping so many tackles, can't see us being that bad again...I hope

its all about styles though, I doubt it will be a big scoring game like the Cheetahs match.
All about the highlanders forwards for mine. They need to combat the bulls early on so the team can cash in later in the game.

I'm hoping the game play is play close for 60mins, no risk, wear them down and they look for holes towards the end

I'm hoping the game play is play close for 60mins, no risk, wear them down and they look for holes towards the end

Well, that would make it an interesting contest then, because for some strange reason, that's exactly what the Bulls have been doing all season, playing conservatively for 60 minutes, and then let loose the final 20. They have scored 80% of their tries this season during the last 20 minutes of their matches.

Also, Interesting to see how the Highlanders will be affected by the altitude... Didn't seem to bother the Crusaders last week.

yup. 31 tackles landers missed. usually that many misses would cost you the game and wouldve if cheetahs ha better D. landers cannot afford to let that happen again.

No Buckman vs the Cheetahs. He will be back for this game, so tackles will be made. Could be a shut out.

Don't know what's happened to Li, Thompson or coltman...

Attachments

• IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 3
Don't know what's happened to Li, Thompson or coltman...

We're not ants! :D Can't see the picture!

18423713_10155419033222249_6691934609785777467_n.jpg

I think you missed the most crucial name missing. Whitelock. Another injury? A Highlanders team running on fumes. At least the midfield is solid. It will be a tough game for them.

Damn still no Sopoaga, he was expected back this week. Some interesting omissions. I hope they're not injuries. A lot of those guys have had big seasons though, and the guys coming in are regulars anyway, so probably just be being rested.

Damn still no Sopoaga, he was expected back this week. Some interesting omissions. I hope they're not injuries. A lot of those guys have had big seasons though, and the guys coming in are regulars anyway, so probably just be being rested.

They're not looking to rush him back. Marty Banks has been great cover and offered the Highlanders some stability. Sopoaga was going through a real dip in form before his injury. So they don't need to rush him back into the team thanks to Martys form. Fletcher Smith is a good impact player as well, the kids got some wheels on him,

Both teams have been added to the OP.

Bulls are without Ismaiel, Potgieter and Strauss for this game due to injury.

Hanro Liebenberg will take over the captaincy.

Happy to see Ruan Steenkamp back in the line-up after recovering from injury. Hopefully he can be handful again. Snyman and Gqoboka gets a start.

Latest posts