• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 12: Crusaders vs. Hurricanes (13/05/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

yNiq3rv.png
V
yVAZL2m.jpg

Venue: AMI Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Oh. Yes. The game I've been waiting for all season. This will reveal who the real front runner is!
The Saders' pack is the best in the comp.... as is the Canes' backline.
The Saders are looking the slightly more clynical side atm, but the Canes have the ability to put on a blitz and take the game away... so I really don't know who the favourite is, it could go either way, all depends on how the game plays out and who wins the key moments or comes up with the big plays.
I'll predict that if the weather conditions aren't good, the Crusaders will win, but if they are perfect, the Canes will win.
I really hope the conditions are perfect :p

This will be beautiful. I'm especially interested to see how Mo'unga stands up to Barrett.

I tend to think that the Hurricanes pack can be bullied out of possession after their loss to their Chiefs, in the rain, early in the season (important caveats).

I'm seeing the Crusaders favoured by 1.5. Who really knows?!

saders are ahead but canes i reckon are building to their peak with perfect timing
saders have all the cards in their favour but this is the canes who've always been at their best when playing giant killer rugby. and at this stage saders are the biggest baddest rugby giants out there

I did not expect this from the Crusaders after seeing them last year (when I thought they were quite a bit weaker than the top 3 in NZ). Their coach deserves a lot of credit and it's not even clear they have peaked yet.

i dont care what the result is, i just wanna watch it.
i hope that there is some amazing entertaining rugby, that there are no injuries and that everyone plays with honour and most of all style.

GO THE CANES!!!

Interesting game, I have a feeling the Crusaders might edge it given the current form of the two sides. The travel could play a big role in how well the Crusaders perform though, so I'm expecting the Canes to come out guns blazing hitting the line hard, getting the Crusaders to make a lot of tackles. Probably the game of the competition so far. Can't wait.

Interesting game, I have a feeling the Crusaders might edge it given the current form of the two sides. The travel could play a big role in how well the Crusaders perform though, so I'm expecting the Canes to come out guns blazing hitting the line hard, getting the Crusaders to make a lot of tackles. Probably the game of the competition so far. Can't wait.
Definitely shaping up to be the game of the comp!

Other than home advantage, I think most factors are actually going against the Saders.

As you said, they're coming off a long haul back from Africa, so they could be feeling the effects of that. The Canes on the other hand have had one match at home after a bye, so should be a lot fresher.
The Saders also without of Whitelock. When you add in Read, that's their two main leaders, and probably two best players, so that's a pretty big loss. Whitelock especially has been hugely influential for them this year, both in performance and leadership.
On the other hand though, they've managed well without Read and Romano is a very capable replacement for Whitelock, so maybe they'll cope just fine.

And then there's the Beauden Barrett factor... Mounga's been in great form and this is the biggest match of the year thus far, so I wouldn't be surprised if Barrett goes out to make a big statement. He may well end up being the difference.

All things considered, I'm backing the Canes to win. Just.

Shame about the weather, but still an interesting watch. Surprised the Canes are struggling with a greasy ball as they played the best I've ever seen in bad conditions in the playoffs last year.

Nice to see a fixture in NZ being decided by superior set piece rather than razzmatazz for a change. Fair to say Coles is a huge loss.

I think its pretty obvious that the most significant difference between these two teams tonight was the scrum... the 'Saders just absolutely monstered the Canes pack at scrum time. And it was good to see a referee who actually rewarded scrum dominance and didn't just cop out like so many have done recently (yes Rohan Hoffmann, I'm lookin' at you!)

I agree with SC about the scrum making a huge difference. Think the line outs hurt the Hurricanes too, particularly when they were in the Crusaders' 22.
The Saders played a textbook game. They knew their opponent, knew what their strengths were and choked them where it hurt them the most. When was the last time the Canes didn't score a try?
Outstanding performance by the Crusaders.

I couldn't help thinking about the Lions. They will have a home game in the play offs against all except the #1 from NZ conference. Out of the Chiefs, Saders and Canes, i think style wise the Lions' style has a better shot against the Crusaders. Probably thinking too many steps ahead.

Crusaders very impressive. Was going to be the real test when they came up against NZ opposition again.

Without Read, Whitelock and Dagg they looked the goods. Super impressed with Crotty he was all class tonight some excellent touches.

Hurricanes line out was very poor and got crushed at scrum. Missing Coles for sure

Way to go canes. Saders way too smart and clinical. Crotty stood out. Shields shown he's not dynamic enough for 8. Should move back to 6 where he rox it.
All in all good lesson for canes. Its not how u start the fight it's how you end it. Canes have lots of lessons to digest

The Hurricanes are a noticeable worse team without Dan Coles, particularly in the set-piece. The Crusaders absolutely crushed them in the scrums and had a good go at their line out. When you take a player of Coles quality out you're always going to lose out in the tighter fixtures when you need that extra bit of quality and x-factor. The Canes got done in the forwards as well, just couldn't get that front foot ball and the backline was never able to get into the match.

Crusaders did all the basics great and defended well, a very well rounded and well coached team, worthy of being this season champion, which I think they will be. Scott deserves a lot of credit. He's had big injuries to deal with as well and just put his head down and worked out a way to continue winning. Great coaching. Crotty and the tight 5 have been superb, also the work of the loose forwards, Todd is awesome. The backs have really punched above their weight as well. A good team.

Laumape has to get a call up. easily more yards than any other centre , even in heavy traffic.

Saders looked to have the game in control most of the time, despite the relatively close score. It was certainly an arm wrestle and the lack of tries reflected the quality of the two teams. Canes not quite there last night, but they will be there or there abouts at the pointy end.

Say what u will bout canes losing... but how many other teams have kept saders to one try? I'm proud of the canes. They kept the saders busy. Lots of work ons but sweet as that's why u train.

Latest posts