• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 12: Crusaders vs. Hurricanes (13/05/2017)

Laumape has to get a call up. easily more yards than any other centre , even in heavy traffic.
After comparing the meterage of the Canes centres over the last couple of weeks....i may be wrong but it looks to me like Laumape is not feeding the rest of the backline outside him very well ...looks like the attacking potential/prowess of the lethal ASO outside him and not to mention the Canes wingers have been diminished over the last couple of weeks...criminal really that they're being starved...as a former league player himself i can see how that mindset could have become entrenched in Laumape but also needs to balance his line busting runs with better distribution IMHO..
If i was coaching that team i'd consider trialing rotating those centres to see if that works any better...both players competing for top tryscorer of the comp probably not helping...

The Crusaders are a class act, they are the bench mark this year.
The 'Canes are capable of beating anyone on their day, it just wasn't their day.

was an interesting game, I think the canes did well to stay in it despite getting dominated in some areas like the scrum. The way the crusaders defended was impressive, the conditions also seemed to play a part in stunting the Canes attack.

TJ Perenara was Brilliant, I think its hard to put in perspective just how good he is at the moment because there isn't much around to compare him too. What I mean is he is doing an excellent job as a halfback, his passing has been absolutely top shelf, but with his workrate and physicality its almost like having an extra loose forward on the field too, that was seen as TKB's strength for a long time. In that respect he is so different to Smith who is a traditional smaller 9.

Drummond has had a very good year I think he is basically playing himself into a position to be selected as a #3 halfback on the end of year tour.

I dont take pleasure in pinpointing players in a bad way but this game confirms to me why JTA should never be an All Black. I dont think hes ever really been able to hold his own against the better front rows. Hes handy around the field but hes never really looked good enough at scrum time IMO. Moody had a field day.

Laumape was very strong but it seemed like the canes couldn't take advantage of the penetration and meters he was clocking up.

Crotty was excellent, as I said in the other thread the way he played was very much like when he was at his best for the AB's last year. I think it all but locks him in as a lions starter.

Matt Todd was a beast, I know there are a lot of Ardie Savea fans around. Ardie is a great payer no doubt about it. But watching this game reminds me why Cane & Todd should still be considered our starting 7's for the AB's. Todd did have a nasty head knock, hopefully he recovers quickly.

This game is another example of why I think Savea is the least effective back this year for the hurricanes, of the regular starters anyway.

The tactical sub of Goosen on for Jane really didn't pay off.

Its not all doom and gloom for the canes though, the conditions were tricky and the crusaders enjoy a significant home advantage down there. I believe they have a rematch in the last round? I think the canes will be confident in a rematch at home.

Latest posts