• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 13: Chiefs vs. Crusaders (19/05/2017)

Surprised to see this played in Fiji, particularly a big derby match. What is the motivation behind it? And is it a Chiefs thing or a NZ thing?

On the face of it a generous gesture.

They played there last season too. The Fijian government paid 1.6 million to host the match. They have a 3 year agreement to host a match annually until 2019. There's a lot of high profile Fijians who have played in Super Rugby and the All Blacks, so there's a close affiliation. Also it's seen as an opportunity to raise tourism and Fiji's sporting profile.

The 'home' team has promoting duties and keeps the majority of the gate and match revenue.

Its easy to see from this match why Crotty and Todd are so important to the Crusaders. The game changed when Crotty went off, it took some time for the backline to get their ducks in a row, and not having Todd from the off meant that breakdown turnovers where harder to come by.

Its easy to see from this match why Crotty and Todd are so important to the Crusaders. The game changed when Crotty went off, it took some time for the backline to get their ducks in a row, and not having Todd from the off meant that breakdown turnovers where harder to come by.

What a well coached side though. To cope with losing two of their most important players and put in a 2nd half performance like that is very impressive. Definitely champions worthy. I would like the Crusaders to push on and win it this season, this win really impressed me.

Surprised to see this played in Fiji, particularly a big derby match. What is the motivation behind it? And is it a Chiefs thing or a NZ thing?

On the face of it a generous gesture.
Blues vs Reds in 2 weeks is in Samoa as well.

For me the standouts from this game were the five eighths. Other than some dodgy goal kicking and a couple of errors in the 2nd half, Cruden was excellent. His kicks from hand were on point and he looked threatening with ball in hand. I think he had a great game, despite the fact that his goal kicking probs cost them the game...
And then Mounga was just awesome again... man of the match imo. he's got a great all round game, kinda like Carter, and he seems to be doing everything right atm. Since coming back from injury he's probably been the form player in NZ, every game he just seems to be putting in complete performances. At this point I'd actually be surprised if he doesn't make the ABs squad...

Jack Goodhue as well, great distributing center, underrated quality.

there are a number of very impressive young backs for the crusaders. Goodhue, Havili, Bridge, mo'unga, Hunt etc... pretty impressive bunch of players.

very interesting game, I think there is very little between these sides. The chiefs haven't been playing well for a while but must have improved a lot for this game as the way they have been playing they wouldn't have been a threat to the crusaders out scored the crusaders 4 trys to 3 and really it was just a bit of game management at times and some kicks at goal that should have been made which were the difference. Hindsight is 20/20 but it was clearly a mistake for Cruden to do the kicking when McKenzie has been knocking them over so well. I think Losing Sam and Beaver to HIA from the same position cost us too. TNW is a good player but in big games his defense isn't good enough at 13, Donald has been absolutely brilliant on defense and when he went off the crusaders started to make some inroads and it directly led to 1 try. I was critical of Leitch last week and again this week he wasn't very effective and actually gave away some critical penalties that cost us, and again Messam was very good when he came on, that play where he buried himself in the back of the scrum pulled the ball straight out and passed it to Cruden for a try was something else. IMO a trademark of Messams game is he is at his best when he starts and plays the full 80. he builds into games and in the final 15-20 when oppositions tire that is when he hits his straps. Hes not at his best off the bench and if you take him off early you are not getting him at his best. its an aspect of his game the AB selectors never used to his/their advantage.

Crusaders are now in the Box Seat to take the overall #1 spot, and they absolutely deserve it.
mo'unga was superb. The way he has been playing All Black selection has kinda become a matter of when rather than if.

The chiefs will be disappointed but also on a positive note I think they showed on another day with a bit more luck and application they can beat the Crusaders. Another positive note is that they are back on the improve, heck if this had actually been a home game that may have been enough. Chiefs have sacrificed a lot to have this game in neutral ground but what a spectacle it was. The locals were loving it. At the same time chiefs vs. Crusaders would probably near sell out in Hamilton and give them a much better chance of winning it.

Crusaders are now in the Box Seat to take the overall #1 spot, and they absolutely deserve it.
mo'unga was superb. The way he has been playing All Black selection has kinda become a matter of when rather than if.

The problem for the Crusaders is that, for the most part, they have really tough games to finish, while the Lions are on easy street, two weak sides and one average side to play.

Crusaders have
v Rebels (away)
v Highlanders (home)
v Hurricanes (away)

Potential 15 points, likely only 13 points, They simply MUST get a bonus point win against the Rebels
Lions have
v Kings (home)
v Sunwolves (home)
v Sharks (away)

Potential 15 points, likely only 14 points

I don't think the Lions will drop any of those games, so if the Crusaders slip up in just one of these games, the Lions could pip them at the death.

This business of the easy ride in one of the Africa conferenced has to be addressed.

true,

lions have got an entire draw without any games against NZ teams. And a weak conference, we know they are good, they were good last year.
But despite that they did drop a game to the Jag's again.

there are two sides to the limp easy draw.

more easy games and bonus points
more chances to rest players
potentially less injuries
pretty much a dead certain playoff position and home finals.

The drawback is that they are probably going to hit a NZ team when the finals start and it will be by far their biggest test/challenge of the season.

The Lions probably should have got the #1 spot last year but gave it away and it cost them.

Crusaders need to pull off a maybe the most remarkable season ever to keep the #1 spot now. But they absolutely deserve it, but I can see the crusaders losing that final away game...

The lions are a good team but for them to have that #1 spot would be a complete injustice.

I blame Australia again, the Brumbies should have beaten the Lions... Its the absolute least they could have done...

I do kinda get the feeling that come finals time a NZ team can go over and tip the lions up this year. NZ teams are more used to big close games. But the injury count is also a factor from those clashes.

cruden was massive but reckon mounga just got his nose in front .

yes though only on goal kicking. Cruden had a very classy game but his goal kicking let the team down.

This business of the easy ride in one of the Africa conferenced has to be addressed.

SARU are the money makers for this competition, so financially it's in the interest of SANZAR to to try and get a South African final.

Last year the Stormers had an easier road to get the home final and this season the Lions have the same path to get the home final, both avoiding the New Zealand sides and playing easier opposition twice.

Last edited:
So with Cruden and Barrett both kicking, it's safe to say Shag had a word to Rennie and Boyd.
Definitely seems like it. Otere is one of the very best goal-kickers in the country and McKenzie is clearly better than Cruden, so there's definitely an ulterior motive behind having Beaudy and Cruds kick this week.
on a side note...
How'd your fantasy go this round? Despite my captain (Barrett) and kicker (DMac) doing bugger all, I managed to bag 221.5 points. Thankfully I nailed my transfers, bringing in Mvovo, Li and Folau, who scored 85.5 points between them. If only I had made one of them captain.....

Last edited:
Consider playing fantasy rugby draft next year, you need 10 people but it's really fun. The fact that only one person can own a player really makes it interesting.

We have a forum league but it's a little inactive this year.

Consider playing fantasy rugby draft next year, you need 10 people but it's really fun. The fact that only one person can own a player really makes it interesting.

We have a forum league but it's a little inactive this year.
yea I saw that. Sounds interesting. I will get involved next year if I remember.

Holy cow that was an outstanding match! Sorry to see Crotty, Beaver and Mcnicol out for concussion though

yeah, Mcnicol is the concerning one. He sat out the NPC and the early part of this super rugby season because of concussion issues.

Latest posts