• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 14: Bulls vs. Hurricanes (27/05/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

140401043934749262.png
yVAZL2m.jpg

Venue: Loftus Versfeld
Time: 15:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams
Bulls: 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Duncan Matthews, 13 Jan Serfontein, 12 Burger Odendaal, 11 Jesse Kriel, 10 Tian Schoeman, 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Jannes Kirsten, 6 Ruan Steenkamp, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Jacobie Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Lizo Gqoboka.

Substitutes: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Pierre Schoeman, 18 Coenraad van Vuuren, 19 Abongile Nonkontwana, 20 Nic de Jager, 21 Ivan van Zyl, 22 Tony Jantjies, 23 Ulrich Beyers

Hurricanes: 15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Wes Goosen, 13 Vince Aso, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara (captain), 8 Brad Shields, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Vaea Fifita, 5 Sam Lousi, 4 Mark Abbott, 3 Jeff To'omaga-Allen, 2 Ricky Riccitelli, 1 Loni Uhila

Substitutes: 16 Leni Apisai, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Ben May, 19 Reed Prinsep, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, 22 Otere Black, Ben Lam 23

Last edited:
Canes team named!: Jordie Barrett, Wes Goosen, Vince Aso, Ngani Laumape, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara (c), Brad Shields, Ardie Savea, Vaea Fifita, Sam Lousi, Mark Abbott, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Ricky Riccitelli, Loni Uhila. Reserves: Leni Apisai, Chris Eves, Ben May, Reed Prinsep, Callum Gibbins, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Otere Black, Ben Lam.

Don't really like the fact that they've left out CJ again, Id' much rather him starting on the right wing. Fifita been moved to 6... it probs does suit him better, but it also means that Shields has to shift to 8, which isn't ideal. Jordie back at 15, hopefully he keeps his impressive form up.
All in all this team should win Bulls comfortably, maybe even profoundly, given some of the Bulls' performances of late...

The wheels on the bus need to start rolling. He's more like a passenger on the laumape bus atm. If he doesn't get into gear, Naholo is in the fast lane to overtake him.

yeah I'm a bit miffed on the CJ thing as well. Hes performing really well, defensively he's amazing and I think that is important because jordie needs a hand in that area. and has been smart as ever on attack. Goosen did play better last weekend, he was poor the week before off the bench against the Crusaders - pulling Jane off then was a mistake. maybe there is more too it...

The Bulls used to be a powerhouse of saffer rugby but this season they have really struggled.
I can't see Wellington losing this match even up on the high veld.

Anyone else heard TJ getting incredibly ****** off though the refs mic?
He literally swore straight at him one time lol. Most of it is warranted though, the reffing has been a bit one-sided at times.

Yup. At first I was like "way to go, TJ", but in no situation should he insult an official. That was reckless and I'm sure he didn't mean that, but the frustration was building up and it had to overflow I guess

PS: Canes looking nervous today. They need a calming presence, and TJ's not helping with his antics obviously. Beauden's presence is severely lacking

Very disappointing game for the Hurricanes. They never looked dominant ball in hand and were never clinical enough to build up their attack from one phase to the other. Good try line defense, but their individual defense game on the back foot was horrendous.

Clean performance from Brad and TJ. Nice to see that "puppy-face" Leni was willing to bring a lot in attack. But what I'll remember at the end of the day is a poor performance.

Well it wasn't pretty, but job done. Ref wasn't great imo, but tbf in the end it went both ways, so not too bothered. We definitely missed Barrett. I hope Ardie's OK, that clash was nasty. TJ was great, he had a massive influence and deservedly was MOTM, he has such a big impact on the Canes. Needs to chill on the yelling at the ref though...
6/10 for performance, but we got max points so I'm happy :)

Yes I was voluntarily harsh in my analysis, and even though they could have been better, they gutted through pain and harsh conditions. Their recent trip, not having a full-strength team available and a tenacious adversary are enough elements that suggest they did pretty well. But now weakened and looking unconfident so close to the playoffs, they look unlikely to win the comp in my opinion.

As always, I hope they'll prove me wrong.

interesting game, was a pretty brutal game at times. Good win for the canes on a tough road trip...

TJ Perenara was amazing, guy was everywhere and almost took on too much responsibility at times, seeing him standing by the rucks and launching himself at bulls ball carriers was a worry. But wow he was phenomenal. Maybe got a bit too emotional with the ref at times... Needs to be more calculated and technical. Seemed a bit like he was winging lol.

I got to say Sam Lousi has come a hell of a long way this season. I was surprised to see him at the canes at the start of the season I had no idea he had switched back from league, I had been wondering why i hadn't seen much of him at the warriors I thought he was injured lol.
Early in the season he looked like he was struggling to get into games and really just trying to figure out what he was supposed to do. But he was brilliant in this game, easily one of the best forwards on the park and a genuine starter for sure.

canes did well. imo bulls were much better than they have been the rest of the season. i thought that there was a spark of fightback in blueBulls but canes did well to stomp out that belieef

Latest posts