• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 14: Highlanders vs. Waratahs (27/05/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

910mtWQ.jpg
cZLaAJf.jpg

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Highlanders expecting back Luke Whitelock, Ben Smith and Waisake Naholo. Should be too strong for the Tahs who have looked terrible this year.

Highlanders getting their best players back for the tail end of the season while having built depth through injuries.

Yeah, can't think of a position we don't have at least a little depth, can't remember a time when that was true, we've almost always had one or two weak links

This could actually be a very quality game. The Tahs found form last week and Folau and Hooper were immense. If they can reproduce that form they'll challenge the Landers.
That being said, the Landers in excellent nick rn and with the return of 3 stars should be too good.
I'm looking forward to this game.

Last edited:
Yeah the Tahs are definitely dangerous on their day with some of the world class players they have. They've been poor this season, but it still doesn't mean they're not capable of springing a surprise result or good performance. But I can't see this Landers team underestimating them though and not being wary of their threat, it might not be a 5 pointer for the Landers but they should secure the win. The Landers have had the wood on the Tahs the past few seasons as well.

Expecting something like 34-24

Highlanders: Ben Smith (co-captain), Waisake Naholo, Malakai Fekitoa, Richard Buckman, Tevita Li, Marty Banks, Aaron Smith, Luke Whitelock, Dillon Hunt, Elliot Dixon, Tom Franklin, Alex Ainley, Siate Tokolahi, Liam Coltman, Aki Seiuli. Reserves: Ash Dixon (co-captain), Daniel Lienert-Brown, Siosuia Halanukonuka, Joe Wheeler, Gareth Evans, Kayne Hammington, Lima Sopoaga, Rob Thompson.

bloody good lineup... seems like everything is coming together at the right time for the highlanders. Not even room for the likes of Osborne and Faddes. Of course a lot will depend on how the likes of Whitelock & Ben Smith come back from injury. But it all looks like bad news for the Tah's...

Very happy to see Li and Seiuli starting, they deserve it after last week. The Tahs are gonna have a bloody hard time tryna crack that midfield defence!
Looking at this line-up, I'm going Landers by 18.

just hope the tahs dont do to us what we did the force last week, first week home is pretty much still on tour if you know what i mean, jet lag etc

just hope the tahs dont do to us what we did the force last week, first week home is pretty much still on tour if you know what i mean, jet lag etc

Doubt there'd be much jet lag coming from Perth, I think it was lucky for the Landers that they hit Perth on the way back, allows their bodies to come around a little quicker to the time zone difference.

Highlanders are flying high. With that team they will thump the warts.

Waratahs (1-15): Tom Robertson, Tolu Latu, Sekope Kepu, Dean Mumm, Will Skelton, Ned Hanigan, Michael Hooper, Michael Wells, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley, Cam Clark, David Horwitz, Rob Horne, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Israel Folau

Reserves: Damien Fitzpatrick, Paddy Ryan, Angus Ta'avao, David McDuling, Jed Holloway, Jake Gordon, Bryce Hegarty, Irae Simone.

Dillon Hunt has turned out to be pretty awesome. interesting to see he is leading the whole competition in tackles made and his minutes played isn't even that high.

The Highlanders are a really good side, they are due to give someone a frightful spanking on their home turf.
Could be the wannabes...

Dillon Hunt has turned out to be pretty awesome. interesting to see he is leading the whole competition in tackles made and his minutes played isn't even that high.
Yeah I saw that too and was amazed a real work horse. Great how he has stepped up every game this season with all the loose forward injuries. Still wouldn't think he get any game time when Squire is back.

Find of the season that fella, the Highlanders replacements have been awesome

I love it when someone (hunt) is given a shot and they take it with both hands

Tah's probably played their best rugby of the season last week, trouble is it came after about 30 minutes of dire rubbish - and if you give the 'Landers a 30 minute start before you come on the paddock it will be a bloodbath.

Tah's havent played for 80 minutes in any one of their games this season, I dont expect it will come this weekend either. 'Landers look to be far too good and I would expect them to run out winners by a large margin. Of course miracles and happen, if the 'Landers are 10% off their best and the Tahs play out of their skins then maybe, just maybe!! They really need that miracle win against a Kiwi side if they are too be any hope of overhauling the Bush Ponies for the right to be thrashed in the first week of the finals (assuming thats actually what any Aussie team wants.). In fact they proabably need 2 wins on tour and thats about as likely to happen as me getting a call up for the Wallabies.

You can certainly tell that Nisbo, Marshall (obviously) and Ian Smith are not Highlanders supporters. Appalling commentary, negative and inaccurate.

Can someone explain why Naholo was penalized on the 36 minute mark on that counter attack? Got nothing out of Smithy and Marshall, just a "hmm". Naholo clearly grounded the ball, released it, got back on his feet then picked it up. Nothing wrong with that, but hands in the ruck? *facepalm*

Elliot Dixon isn't having a good season. Didn't push on from that wonder 2015 season unfortunately. He's having a really bad game tonight.

Last edited:
Can someone explain why Naholo was penalized on the 36 minute mark on that counter attack? Got nothing out of Smithy and Marshall, just a "hmm". Naholo clearly grounded the ball, released it, got back on his feet then picked it up. Nothing wrong with that, but hands in the ruck? *facepalm*
I think the reasoning was that players were competing over him before he released the ball, so a ruck had formed. By releasing the ball and standing up he is effectively leaving the ruck and so if he just picks up the ball it counts as hands in the ruck as he is picking up the ball while competing in a ruck

Latest posts