• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 15: Chiefs vs. Waratahs (03/06/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

vjKuIU4.gif
cZLaAJf.jpg

Venue: FMG Stadium Waikato
Time: 07:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Wishful thinking but I'm actually hoping the Chiefs slip up here. The Highlanders still have a good chance of keeping ahead of them. The Chiefs play the Tahs, Canes and Brumbies, if the Landers lose to the Crusaders, they need the Chiefs to lose 2 of their last 3. Unlikely, but not impossible.

The Chiefs always seem to struggle against the Waratahs of late.

Ngatai misses this match, but it training fully. McNichol and Nanai-Williams will be out of action for a while. Joe Webber call into the group. Beaver will likely feature in the match and collect his 100th cap. Legend.

For God's sake, let Damian kick for points.

definitely the chiefs #1 starting side with some rotation happening on the bench. Chiefs are playing well without really hitting anything near their best, they are going to have to find it at some point soon. This should be the 15 to do it.

I think TKB has long been seen as a low key halback but he deserves praises as well. His distribution is fast and in complete accordance with the Chiefs fast game pace. On form, he's phenomenal

PS: A second try for the Chiefs!

Chiefs just playing scintillating, faultless rugby. Tah's playing to the best of their ability. Its simply another example of the gulf between NZ sides and the other Super Rugby countries. Its a pleasure to watch the skills and accuracy of the Chiefs, even as a Tahs fan!

The sad thing for the Tahs is that they didnt play like this when it mattered - against the Kings and the other Aussie franchises.

Wow, that was nice to watch. There was only so long the Chiefs could maintain that pace, and the reserves didn't provide much of a lift.

The spirit of Liam Messam and Stephen Donald was coursing through the veins of all the Chiefs. Messam, in particular, was rabid. Nathan Harris is back. I'm hoping Retallick and Laulala aren't too worse for wear from that head clash. Toni Pulu is my vote for most underrated Chief.

I was critical of Lowe's defense in the Crusaders loss, but today he showed how fierce he can be. He was starting All Black quality in this one.

Have read a few articles this week and the common theme is Jordie Barrett over Mackenzie for the AB's utility. which based on form this year is just nuts.

Can't see Lowe getting a spot, he outplayed that slug Julian last year for the whole season and still didn't get a foot in the door.

Was a good Chiefs game, but as usual we lacked a bit of direction for a while and let in some tries, all credit to the Tahs though as they stepped it up after that intercept and looked good when passes stuck.

Have read a few articles this week and the common theme is Jordie Barrett over Mackenzie for the AB's utility. which based on form this year is just nuts.

Can't see Lowe getting a spot, he outplayed that slug Julian last year for the whole season and still didn't get a foot in the door.

A hatrick for Ireland's new favoured son, James Lowe.

II was critical of Lowe's defense in the Crusaders loss, but today he showed how fierce he can be. He was starting All Black quality in this one.

If the All Black selectors have any sense at all then they MUST pick James Lowe for the match against Samoa (even if it is just a bench spot) if for no other reason than to capture his eligibility. We do not want this player turning up for Ireland (or any other country) on the the wing at any time in the future..

In fact, I think the NZRU, ARU and SARU should get together and arrange an annual match or two between New Zealand A, Australia A and South Africa A as selection trials as well as to capture the eligibility of some of the players on the margins of National selection. This would put a stop to poacher countries who don't have the systems in place to raise and and nurture their own talent, and see New Zealand, Australia and South Africa as a supply of talent to be plundered at will. If all National Unions were to institute an "A" team programme, it would put a stop to this situation of having players with no history in a country turning out for their national team.

If the All Black selectors have any sense at all then they MUST pick James Lowe for the match against Samoa (even if it is just a bench spot) if for no other reason than to capture his eligibility. We do not want this player turning up for Ireland (or any other country) on the the wing at any time in the future..

In fact, I think the NZRU, ARU and SARU should get together and arrange an annual match or two between New Zealand A, Australia A and South Africa A as selection trials as well as to capture the eligibility of some of the players on the margins of National selection. This would put a stop to poacher countries who don't have the systems in place to raise and and nurture their own talent, and see New Zealand, Australia and South Africa as a supply of talent to be plundered at will. If all National Unions were to institute an "A" team programme, it would put a stop to this situation of having players with no history in a country turning out for their national team.

Don't know why we still have the JABs as our second team when they never play. Should at least switch it to the Maoris or the U20s until the JABs make a return.

yeah was an interesting game.

the chiefs attack was on song for a while but it got the speed wobbles a bit with the Horne intercept and then Kepu's rampaging run. Chiefs kinda lost there shape for a bit in that period of the game and it cost them the bonus point...

That run by Kepu was quite phenomenal, He ran through Lowe, Messam, Cruden left some others in his wake and was only just taken down by Mckenzie before the line and seemed to get over. one of the most remarkable plays I've ever seen from a Prop.

But... What I would question is how was he on the park? He got subbed off at the 30min mark? yet he was back on and had fresh legs. I think some very creative and deliberate bench management went on, maybe no rules broken just maybe worthy of a raised eyebrow... The tahs pack has some massive guys and they clearly worked the subs in a way to try and prevent getting exposed.

James Lowe was brilliant, pretty much an ongoing conversation about Lowe.

He's brilliant
He should be an All Black
He's been outplaying Julian Savea every for basically 4 years or so
But he wont get selected.

he's not a good defender. No His stats on defense dont flatter him. % wise he is near the 55-60% space which isn't good. but functionally he does well he makes and attempts a lot of tackles for a winger as a function of just how much he is involved in the game and often when he would get credited for a miss he does enough to effectively stop the player. Like this game he probably got credited with 2-3 missed tackles on Naiyaravoro but he never let Naiyaravoro get past him. Like compared to Savea, savea is tackling at ~70% which is good for a wing but for a similar time played savea has been involved in 17 less tackles.

on attack there is no comparison Lowe is insane. now past 1000m and is 3rd in the whole competition a stat usually dominated by fullbacks, savea is at 590m 28 clean breaks to Saveas 19. Does that mean he is a ball hog? No... lowe has 92 passes compared to Savea's 34, quite a staggering stat really.

Mckenzie was impressive as well, lots of take and media selections rating jordie over dmac which makes no sense at all. jordie is an awesome player i think he is a dead set all black at some point but McKenzie has been better and more consistant for a lot longer. jordies tackle stats are a bit concerning but something that can be worked on.

size is a talking point, with Barrett being like 6ft 5 and makenzie being the smallest guy on the park most days. But McKenzie uses his small size and athletic ability to his advantage and uses amazing technique to make up for his size when it should be a disadvantage.

Latest posts