• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 16: Hurricanes vs. Chiefs (09/06/2017)

Interesting Ngatai is back. If he stays fit and does well for the Chiefs in the play-offs it gives the AB selectors an even bigger 'headache'.

SBW alleviated all doubt about who will be starting at 12 last night.

Finally a good Friday night game. A lot of the Friday night games have been one sided thrashings, actually the majority of this years games have been one sided thrashings lol.

ALB butchered a sure try there.

Haven't been impressed with him at all this season.

Hopefully his AB form is better.

Edit: After I said that he's gone to have his best game of the season xD

Last edited:
Good game by the Chiefs.

TJP is the biggest fuckwit in NZ rugby.

Jordie Barrett desperately needs to work on his tackling technique. He goes far too high and it's not especially effective (explains the low success rate), plus given his excessive height it risks him hitting head high (as happened twice in this match, but wasn't picked up on).

Nothing Wayne Smith can't iron out.

Tough luck Canes. You were outperformed by a strong and realistic Chiefs outfit. They took their opportunities and made very little mistakes ball in hand. The Hurricanes need to manage pressure from being dominated up front or they'll be crushed like small fries by the Saders

Good game by the Chiefs.

TJP is the biggest fuckwit in NZ rugby.

Why's that?

I thought he had a poor game, his passing game is just not on A.Smiths level and probably shouldn't get the starting spot for that reason, otherwise he's better.

That Canes pack is really going to struggle vs the Crusaders.

Last edited:
Jordie Barrett desperately needs to work on his tackling technique. He goes far too high and it's not especially effective (explains the low success rate), plus given his excessive height it risks him hitting head high (as happened twice in this match, but wasn't picked up on).

Nothing Wayne Smith can't iron out.
True that. But he knows just too well how easily he can be beaten by an offload. As a second five, I think he got used to tackling high to not be surprised by passes going astray... Might be the influence of new coaches as well, they're coming from a league environment where they teach you to tackle high to prevent the game from flowing.
But under the new regulations, he NEEDS to tackle lower otherwise he'll put his safety and other players' safety in danger.

Well lets hope that now saves us a trip to South Africa....all that travelling is a killer

An awesome result for the Chiefs...made my weekend that... Cruden needs resting up for finals footy now so maybe call in Mo'unga for the ABs- he deserves a call up

when i saw Cruden come off and then Ngatai as well i was thinking it's not our night tonight
...but then with only 14 men... a sensational TRY

DMAC also had a blinder- so proud of the whole team, such a great defensive effort...
...stoked for the team and Rennie...

kinda fitting Lowe out played Savea on his 100th since hes been outplaying him for 4 years or so.

Great effort from the chiefs to beat the canes in wellington.

kinda fitting Lowe out played Savea on his 100th since hes been outplaying him for 4 years or so.

Great effort from the chiefs to beat the canes in wellington.

McKenzie and Lowe must be thinking what the hell do they need to do to be selected.

Did anyone else think Jordie Barrett looked really slow tonight? Compare him to McKenzie and he's like a giraffe galloping around.
Yup, he's slow but I also think he made some impact early in the game and thanks to his offloads, kept the game flowing at pace.

If I remember correctly, a younger version of Beauden was not so fast. He was pretty quick but not the white Usain Bolt we now know. Plyometrics, Yoga and even Pilates to build muscle relaxation and efficiency really helped him with his speed. If Jordie does the same, he could gain a bit of acceleration in his currently long, slow, giraffe-like strides.

Latest posts