• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 18: Hurricanes vs. Crusaders (15/07/2017)

Jordie edged it for me. The 'Canes' pack was impressive at the breakdown and ensured that TJ received quick ball. That was the difference in the second half.
Yea Jordie was clutch, made a few errors though. Defensive error caused Dagg's try, couple other basic mistakes. Laumape got the team going on the front foot all night and was instrumental in a couple of the tries.

Yea Jordie was clutch, made a few errors though. Defensive error caused Dagg's try, couple other basic mistakes. Laumape got the team going on the front foot all night and was instrumental in a couple of the tries.

What was your view on Laumape's shoulder-first tackle toward the end? TMO deemed it acceptable but he led with the shoulder and didn't appear to wrap his arms. Given what we've seen over the past month on the Lions tour I was surprised he stayed on the field.

What was your view on Laumape's shoulder-first tackle toward the end? TMO deemed it acceptable but he led with the shoulder and didn't appear to wrap his arms. Given what we've seen over the past month on the Lions tour I was surprised he stayed on the field.
I think the fact that the initial contact wasn't head high saved him. Seemed to be the high chest area. I think there was a bit of a wrap with the arms, but I too was surprised, thought it would've been at least a penalty given the way they've been ruling them lately. I don't disagree with the decision though. It was pretty touch and go imo.

How come the Canes team was changed so much from what was announced? I know Beauden pulled out but why did that cause changes at 13, 14 and 15?

Was at that one, awesome crowd and a good night for it after the rubbish weather we've had the past 3 days. Gotta say I think we got the rub of the green a bit....will take it though. When we were down 12-0 and looking terrible I thought we were in for a blowout. Came back which was good. Canes of old use to always lose those close ones too, so positive to see, especially when we were down by 8 in the 2nd at one stage.

Jordie my MOM, ran some good lines and yes his defence needs work but his kicking from the tee was crucial. Still don't know why we didn't go for the 3 towards the start when we had a penalty right out in front. Thought that may have been the difference.

That actually makes 3 losses in a row for the Saders too, so will be interesting to see how they go in the play offs. Bit of loss in form you'd have to say.

How come the Canes team was changed so much from what was announced? I know Beauden pulled out but why did that cause changes at 13, 14 and 15?

Aso (our centre) also had virus symptoms, so we moved Jordie from 15 to 13. NMS from 14 back to 15 and Goosen from the Bench to 14.

Aso (our centre) also had virus symptoms, so we moved Jordie from 15 to 13. NMS from 14 back to 15 and Goosen from the Bench to 14.
Ah ok thank you for clarifying. On the Canes team, can Goosen play 10? Because he's always in the 22 shirt and as far as I'm aware no one else in the side covers 10 and I've only ever seen him on the wing. If not then surely fielding a team with no 10 cover is quite the risk.

Ah ok thank you for clarifying. On the Canes team, can Goosen play 10? Because he's always in the 22 shirt and as far as I'm aware no one else in the side covers 10 and I've only ever seen him on the wing. If not then surely fielding a team with no 10 cover is quite the risk.
Goosen is equally comfortable in the midfield as on the wing. But no, he certainly is not a 10. When Black isn't on the bench, it's either Perenara or Jordie who cover 10. TJ has actually filled in there a few times this year and done well. Jordie showed vs the Lions that he too is more than capable of filling in there.

I also thought the Canes were a little fortunate but if they get Coles and Beauden they are probably my favourites for the competition.

Jordie is 20, errors come with that. For him to put in that sort of performance whilst out of position is pretty disgusting at this level!

I wanted the Lions to get the number one seed last year but hope the Sharks beat them.

Jordie edged it for me. The 'Canes' pack was impressive at the breakdown and ensured that TJ received quick ball. That was the difference in the second half.
Yup I agree with that, but the Canes pack was clearly outmuscled during the first half, and the backs didn't really know what to do. Obviously, they had another plan specifically designed for the intended backline. But the late withdrawals meant they had to reshuffle the cards. A quick talk in the sheds at half-time helped them establish a game plan. As for the first ABs v Lions test, they decided to combat quick line speed with pick and goes. And it paid off.

Ngani was constantly going forward, one of the key factors for that quick ball you're talking about. It prevented the Saders defense from rushing up.

TJ... disappointing, all mouth and no trousers. I was glad Jackson changed his mind and penalized the Canes, that was a necessary sacrifice to tell him to shut the f*** up. Thankfully he learned his lesson and tried to play some rugby afterwards. But still, I think he doesn't get his hands dirty as he used to do before. Waits for his forwards to provide him with clean ruck ball and does not dig it up himself when the opponents try to slow it down. As a consequence, a simple counter ruck will be enough to steal the ball from him, which was the problem with Aaron Smith not such a long time ago. He needs to look for work again and complain less.

Nice touches from Jordie, he shows why he should be an AB. Still makes avoidable mistakes but that's part of being a youngster I guess. At least, they show he's trying to get involved, and he can't really improve if he doesn't dare.

Julian Savea looked good, I'm feeling a bit shameful about the things I said about him. I still believe he's not the winger he used to be though, he now looks like a center who works on the outside channel.

Last edited:
interesting result, I watched a bit of the first half then switched over after the crusaders got the first couple of trys. I'll have to go back and watch the rest!
bit gutted the chiefs how have to travel.
and it sucks the Crusaders lost the #1 spot to the lions. Thats complete and utter bullshit, and kinda meaningless with them not having a single game against NZ conference teams.

man i hope TJ has learnt to curb his mouth. been getting a bit annoyed with him screaming at the ref all the time.
last time during the lions vs canes game he was screaming at garces. when garces asked him to be more polite he kept saying "but i didnt say anything". thats BS'ing on international TV . refs wouldve seen that and been on notice to watch out for it.
screaming whilst we already have the penalty is dum. screaming until it gets reversed is even dumber.

Ngani was constantly going forward...It prevented the Saders defense from rushing up.
TJ... disappointing... He needs to look for work again and complain less.
Julian Savea looked good
agree about ngani. bent the line everytime he took it up. playing really well . hope he still evolves his game a bit more.

TJ needs to learn to shut up. to his credit once that penalty got reversed he quickly kept his mouth shut...even if there was only a few minutes in the game left. agree about his work load.

shields was outstanding for me. he still needs to move from 8 back to 6, but he was leading from the front.

agree about ngani. bent the line everytime he took it up. playing really well . hope he still evolves his game a bit more.

TJ needs to learn to shut up. to his credit once that penalty got reversed he quickly kept his mouth shut...even if there was only a few minutes in the game left. agree about his work load.

shields was outstanding for me. he still needs to move from 8 back to 6, but he was leading from the front.
Would be very good if the Hurricanes could get one of the Highlanders 8 options. Think Squire would work very well there but Dixon and Whitelock would also definitely get a job done. Would mean Ardie and Shields wouldn't have to play out of position, as well as that those 3 AB options (Highlanders ones) are all starting every week.

interesting result, I watched a bit of the first half then switched over after the crusaders got the first couple of trys. I'll have to go back and watch the rest!
bit gutted the chiefs how have to travel.
and it sucks the Crusaders lost the #1 spot to the lions. Thats complete and utter bullshit, and kinda meaningless with them not having a single game against NZ conference teams.
Who organizes this competition? It is a complete joke that a team that has a home bye all the way through the play offs does not have to play a single NZ team throughout the season. 14-1 record of the Lions means dick all compared with that of the Crusaders, who achieve it playing each of the NZ sides (is it twice?). Same thing happened last year. Total crock.

I have nothing personal against the Lions, but simply hope they get monstered by anyone before the final. They have basically had warm up games against all sides with losing records.

well the canes have Brad Shields. Shields has been excellent this year but its fair to say that the last couple months he hasn't been his best. There may be some reasoning behind that, maybe he is carrying an injury. Its also clear that not getting selected for the All Blacks hit him hard this year maybe that has been a factor.

its also interesting that Fifita did get selected for the AB's has really been seen as a lose forward for the All Blacks... and that may see him more as a 6 at the Hurricanes going forward??

the last couple months he hasn't been his best.
its also interesting that Fifita did get selected for the AB's

its ever since shields got moved to 8. he's not an 8 and his lack of speed and acceleration is really obvious and he struggles with 8's core duties.
fifita was a better fit for ABs cos he's also a lineout option. whilst fifita isnt as hard nosed as shields he's dynamic with good ball skills.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Latest posts