• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 18: Sharks vs. Lions (15/07/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

140520034314297450.png
Lions.png

Venue: Growthpoint Kings Park
Time: 17:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
Teams

Sharks: 15 Lwazi Mvovo, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 S'busiso Nkosi, 10 Garth April, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Daniel du Preez, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Philip van der Walt (captain), 5 Stephan Lewies, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Thomas du Toit

Substitutes:
16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Jean Droste, 20 Tera Mtembu, 21 Michael Claassens, 22 Curwin Bosch, 23 Jeremy Ward

Lions: 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Ruan Ackermann, 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Jaco Kriel (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Jacques van Rooyen

Substitutes: 16. Akker vd Merwe, 17 Corne Fourie, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Cyle Brink, 21 Faf de Klerk, 22 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 23 Sylvian Mahuza

Last edited:
Sa Game of the weekend.

From a South African perspective the lions need to win this one and with a bonus point if they can.

On the other hand I would like it if the Sharks can beat the lions to prove to their fans that they mean business for the playoffs. Both teams had a bye and with the international break just a while back both teams should be at their freshest best.

Lions with their extreme ball in hand approach are usually negatively affected by the Durban humidity but it's middle of winter so should not be a factor this time around (I think).

One of the two matches that actually "matter" at all this weekend, in that it's possible the log position might actually be affected.
That said Sharks don't really have anything to play for other than pride and confidence (which isn't nothing).

Rob du Preez could in theory even rest some key players although I suspect he won't.

Big match, usually I would support the Sharks, but despite not really liking the Lions a South African team winning the competition would be amazing, so I'd like to give them every opportunity,

Sharks are allowed to beat the Lions here, but only if they go on to beat the Crusaders in Cristchurch so the Lions still get their home final :p .

One of the two matches that actually "matter" at all this weekend, in that it's possible the log position might actually be affected.
That said Sharks don't really have anything to play for other than pride and confidence (which isn't nothing).

Rob du Preez could in theory even rest some key players although I suspect he won't.

Big match, usually I would support the Sharks, but despite not really liking the Lions a South African team winning the competition would be amazing, so I'd like to give them every opportunity,

Sharks are allowed to beat the Lions here, but only if they go on to beat the Crusaders in Cristchurch so the Lions still get their home final :p .

Yip. This post sums up my sentiments as well.

So if the Sharks lose this game then we get to travel to Johannesburg for the next round. If we win we have to go to Christchurch to play the Crusaders (if Hurricanes beat Crusaders).

I don't think I've felt so undecided before in terms of what result I want for the team I support. I actually think we have a better chance of progressing by going to Christchurch. Crusaders will be thinking hah yea bring the sharks we can take them down easy. Lions will know after this weekend that they need to be at their best. So we might be better served vs the Crusaders and then just putting in an undiluted performance. "Just putting in an inspired performance". "Just"

Well, I'm just hoping for a good game with minimal injuries. It's great that we will have 3 teams in the playoffs, as it will make our chances better of getting one to the finals.

Plus, I hope to see Rohan Janse van Rensburg in the Lions squad, even if it's just for 10 minutes...

Lions and Sharks are both.. not among my supported SA teams internally so from an external POV and backing SA teams (in a general sense) I am backing the Lions but see the Sharks have put forward quite a solid team which (at Durban) will be up to at least make a fight of it though I see the Lions as marginal (lets say 3 points) favorites still.

Putting my Bok glasses on I am hoping for RJvR and Combrinck to put in Stormers and force themselves into the Bok line-up. Despite the French tour I am still backing a SA midfield combo of RJvR-Serfontein over Serfontein-Kriel. With Kriel wearing jersey 23. Combrinck > Rhule is a no-brainer for me.

Edit; I see Janse van Rensburg will have to push his cause off the bench. Lions very lucky to have 3 classy centers on the books. Hope they can maintain the bulk of their team or even add to it with Ackermann pushing off;

Teams:

Sharks

15 Lwazi Mvovo, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 S'busiso Nkosi, 10 Garth April, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Daniel du Preez, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Philip van der Walt (captain), 5 Stephan Lewies, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 Juan Schoeman, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Jean Droste, 20 Tera Mtembu, 21 Michael Claassens, 22 Curwin Bosch, 23 Jeremy Ward

Lions

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Ruan Ackermann, 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Jaco Kriel (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Jacques van Rooyen

Substitutes: 16. Akker vd Merwe, 17 Corne Fourie, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Cyle Brink, 21 Faf de Klerk, 22 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 23 Sylvian Mahuza

Both teams have been announced and added to the OP.

I got my wish and Rohan is on the bench

Ja, I guess I was a tad optimistic to hope they'd start JvR considering he's just back from injury. Now who to start at center in fantasy rugby...

Ja, I guess I was a tad optimistic to hope they'd start JvR considering he's just back from injury. Now who to start at center in fantasy rugby...
I snagged Ngati in my other league (that I didn't get knocked out of :p), he still available?

I snagged Ngati in my other league (that I didn't get knocked out of :p), he still available?
Yeah, I got Ngatai too. TBH I have a truck load of options in the midfield; RJvR, Ngatai, Ranger (thought if he started on the wing vs Sunwolves...), Havili, Michael Collins (Blues fullback vs Sunwolves) and Tamanivula. I'm going with Ngatai and Collins.

Yeah, I got Ngatai too. TBH I have a truck load of options in the midfield; RJvR, Ngatai, Ranger (thought if he started on the wing vs Sunwolves...), Havili, Michael Collins (Blues fullback vs Sunwolves) and Tamanivula. I'm going with Ngatai and Collins.
Haha sounds like you have no problems at all, Collins and Ngatai would probably be my choices although I might be tempted to go Temanivalu just because he's premium and Ngatai hasn't played much rugby.

Good luck with the final! I'll be rooting for the Saffer victory.

The Crusaders losing has made this a bit tasty. Great to see RJvR back, great timing for Lions and Boks. If he can get fully fit I think he'll be the missing link in leading the Lions to the ***le. But only if they win this game.

Yeah, a few forgettable performances there in a fairly forgettable half. Combrinck and Jantjies ordinary (I hope for his sake he was a little groggy when he tried that cross kick as a drop out). Ross Cronje just doesn't have the energy and pace of Faf either.

Kwagga Smith MotM in the first half. About the only 7s star in world rugby that seems to have fully made the transition to XVs who from a Tier 1 nation.

It's a very dull performance from the Lions. None of their internationals have performed, save for Kwagga Smith.

It's a very dull performance from the Lions. None of their internationals have performed, save for Kwagga Smith.

I do wonder if there is an unspoken understanding that the Sharks will lose and they'll meet again in the playoffs.

I do wonder if there is an unspoken understanding that the Sharks will lose and they'll meet again in the playoffs.

Seems that way: win the match and travel to Christchurch or lose and go to Ellis Park. I know which I'd prefer.

No injuries on either side. Mapoe also came onto a game but there was no intensity. The game was so ordinary I was happy to kill time ironing shirts so I didn't have to concentrate on it!

I'm sure it will be completely different next time around. I'm also pretty sure the Sharks won't win, although they can defend well.

I didn't even finish it as it bored me so much.

Latest posts