• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 18: Sunwolves vs. Blues (15/07/2017)

I think that it would be of great benefit to the Sunwolves if all of their 'home' games could be played in Tokyo. Aside from the conditions, they have very passionate support at the stadium there.

crazy result, while the SW's have looked like a dangerous team that can score points. have to think the conditions played a big part in this result.

game was played during the middle of the day with temps well into the 30's nearing the 40's? probably explains why the blues fell to bits after having a handy lead at halftime.

It did look pretty hot and it'd be daft to think that conditions couldn't have been a factor.

That said, I'd imagine Tana Umaga must be drinking in the last chance saloon. A less celebrated name would have been shown the door after the last two seasons, and rightly so.

crazy result, while the SW's have looked like a dangerous team that can score points. have to think the conditions played a big part in this result.

game was played during the middle of the day with temps well into the 30's nearing the 40's? probably explains why the blues fell to bits after having a handy lead at halftime.

It did look pretty hot and it'd be daft to think that conditions couldn't have been a factor.

That said, I'd imagine Tana Umaga must be drinking in the last chance saloon. A less celebrated name would have been shown the door after the last two seasons, and rightly so.

I think getting rid of Tana would be a mistake, they are getting better. They have pushed the other NZ teams more this year.
This result was very unfortunate, put them on a 7-7-1 record when an 8-6-1 would have looked a lot better and put them into the 40's in terms of points.
i think the conditions were a big factor and I think all the NZ teams are in a bit of a post lions tour hangover this week.
a poor couple of weeks for Kaino... two yellow cards in a row... not a good look.

this is a very tough spot for Tana to be in. he has inherited a team that has problems and i think its understandable that he hasn't been able to find immediate success but I get the feeling now that when you have a big coaching change getting that initial success is so important.

The big problem area without a doubt has been first five. The other NZ franchises all have world class options at 10. I really like Ihia west, I think he is a quality player that still has very good potential but its fair to say that he just simply has not found consistency at the blues.

Next year is going to be very interesting in this area. with West and Black basically trading places and Stephen Perofeta set to be involved a lot more. I've not been totally sold on Pulu either. He has done a lot of good things and been one of their strongest players at times but i think he has also had issues with his decision making and has made errors and poor kicks at key moments. IMO it has been a bit of a mixed bag from Pulu going from being a bench guy to a starter and central figure in a super rugby team.

Last edited:
I really hope they choose to keep Tana because the Sunwolves game aside, this has been the best season the Blues have had for 6 years and there is a real chance of improving on their position in the table however, as you rightly pointed out Larksea, the Blues are desperate for a consistent playmaker at first five eight.
They have competed really hard against the other Kiwi franchises and could have had wins against the Crusaders and Highlanders.
The hunt for a quality 10 goes on...

Latest posts