• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018-19 Guinness Pro 14] Round 1 (31/08/2018-01/09/2018)

I know you may be taking the **** a small bit but wouldn't it be great if it could be developed a bit that this type of thing happened. Short term moves to cover. Like we are not as good at 10 as you'd think. Keatley is still in talks to go to France and Tyler is not looking too good. But also BJ would benefit from going to ye and playing a few games. But equally these scenarios do seem to uncover a few gems. So it is interesting
Would be a good idea.

Leinster:

15. Dave Kearney
14. Adam Byrne
13. Rory O'Loughlin
12. Joe Tomane
11. Barry Daly
10. Ross Byrne
9. Luke McGrath

1. Peter Dooley
2. James Tracy
3. Michael Bent
4. Ross Molony
5. Scott Fardy
6. Josh Murphy
7. Rhys Ruddock (captain)
8. Caelan Doris

Replacements:

16. Bryan Byrne
17. Ed Byrne
18. Andrew Porter
19. Mick Kearney
20. Max Deegan
21. Jamison Gibson-Park
22. Noel Reid
23. Fergus McFadden

Excited to see Caelan Doris get his first start. I could see him play a lot at both 6 ad 8 this season. He has the talent to quickly become Leinster's first choice 8 and force his way into Ireland's World Cup plans.

The European Challenge Cup winners versus the Champ Champs to open the season should be a big deal but it'll be at best a Leinster second string. That gives ammo to those who decry the Pro 14 as a second rate competition and it's hard to disagree when they treat the opening round with disdain.

If there weren't games where the youngsters could get a chance - do you think you'd have the squad you do and do you think Ireland would still have won the grand slam and you guys the HEC last season?

Not every game needs the team selection skills of Matt O'Connor.

If there weren't games where the youngsters could get a chance - do you think you'd have the squad you do and do you think Ireland would still have won the grand slam and you guys the HEC last season?

Not every game needs the team selection skills of Matt O'Connor.
Not what I'm arguing at all.

Over 50 players played for Leinster last season. You could very easily look at the squad and see 10 to 15 players who either aren't internationals or never will be. I think you could easily cut four games from the Pro 14 season, still rotate to keep players fresh and still give top young players like Caelan Doris, James Ryan, Jordan Larmour, Andrew Porter, Jacob Stockdale, Stewart Moore or numerous others plenty of chances in stronger teams.

The league is starting with a whimper. A balance can be found between the current situation and flogging players like in the Premiership and Top 14.

Not what I'm arguing at all.

Over 50 players played for Leinster last season. You could very easily look at the squad and see 10 to 15 players who either aren't internationals or never will be. I think you could easily cut four games from the Pro 14 season, still rotate to keep players fresh and still give top young players like Caelan Doris, James Ryan, Jordan Larmour, Andrew Porter, Jacob Stockdale, Stewart Moore or numerous others plenty of chances in stronger teams.

The league is starting with a whimper. A balance can be found between the current situation and flogging players like in the Premiership and Top 14.
A shorter league that starts two weeks later would be the only compromise without affecting the international game. I don't really mind it, I think the off season is short and warming up back into bigger games is ok. Especially in Ireland where the end of the Gaelic Football season* and the start of that foreign soccer league that so many care about for God knows what reason coincide with the start of it. A later "real" start to the season gets the casuals out in more numbers imo.

*Not that anyone should care about this season, county football is about as competitive as a Harlem Globetrotters match.

Southern Kings team:

15 Michael Botha, 14 Michael Makase, 13 Harlon Klaasen, 12 Berton Klaasen, 11 Yaw Penxe, 10 Masixole Banda, 9 Rudi van Rooyen, 8 Ruaan Lerm, 7 Tienie Burger, 6 Henry Brown, 5 Bobby de Wee, 4 Schalk Oelofse, 3 Luvuyo Pupuma, 2 Michael Willemse (captain), 1 Justin Forwood

Substitutes: 16 Alandre van Rooyen, 17 Schalk Ferreira, 18 Luphumlo Mguca, 19 JC Astle, 20 Andisa Ntsila, 21 Godlen Masimla, 22 Martin du Toit, 23 Ulrich Beyers

Nick McCarthy broke his wrist, crap injury for a scrummie and means JGP has to be in every squad.

Could be a chance for Hugh O'Sullivan.
As sad as injuries are alot of back ups this is the case 1 mans misfortune is another man's opening.
For Leinster Leavy VDF and Conan would be a nice starting backrow for anyone. All 3 really cemented their places on back of injury misfortunes.

Genuinely excited to see Zebre in action. They are rejigging the forwards a bit on day one, which isn't a great sign, but 9-15 is plenty good enough to rack up some points in any games where the pack is remotely competitive.

I know nothing about the Kings signings, but Davids is a good coach and I'm confident they'll be a step ahead of the mess he had to work with last season. If only because he has had a proper off season in which to prepare.

ZEBRE: Matteo Minozzi, Mattia Bellini, Giulio Bisegni, Tommaso Castello, Giovanbattista Venditti, Carlo Canna, Marcello Violi, Andrea Lovotti, Oliviero Fabiani, Dario Chistolini, Leonard Krumov, George Biagi, David Sisi, Johan Meyer, Renato Giammarioli

Genuinely excited to see Zebre in action. They are rejigging the forwards a bit on day one, which isn't a great sign, but 9-15 is plenty good enough to rack up some points in any games where the pack is remotely competitive.

I know nothing about the Kings signings, but Davids is a good coach and I'm confident they'll be a step ahead of the mess he had to work with last season. If only because he has had a proper off season in which to prepare.

ZEBRE: Matteo Minozzi, Mattia Bellini, Giulio Bisegni, Tommaso Castello, Giovanbattista Venditti, Carlo Canna, Marcello Violi, Andrea Lovotti, Oliviero Fabiani, Dario Chistolini, Leonard Krumov, George Biagi, David Sisi, Johan Meyer, Renato Giammarioli

That Zebre backline would be very dangerous behind a decent pack. I'd agree with Groundhog about Minozzi though, he was the standout fullback in the 6N and he's hardly planning on spending the rest of his career in Parma. Surely only a matter of time before one of the big French clubs come calling.

Cardiff Blues team to face Leinster: M Morgan; J Harries, W Halaholo, R Lee-Lo, O Lane; J Evans, L Williams; B Thyer, K Dacey, D Arhip, S Davies, R Thornton, J Turnbull, E Jenkins, N Williams.

Replacements: R Gill, E Lewis, S Andrews, G Earle, O Robinson, T Williams, S Shingler, G Smith.

Tidy enough team, though not full strength.

Not sure what to expect from this game as pre-season wasn't exactly outstanding for the Blues, plus not sure what to expect from Leinster? Imagine they won't quite be 100% full strength for this one either.

Some really interesting choices for the new coaching team here, considering the opposition. For Harries to go straight into the team is a big call, but then he is probably one of the more experienced wingers we have fully fit. I'm not sure about the balance or the scrummaging potential of the front row. Also, how heavy is Rory Thornton? Happy to have him playing always thought that he has a lot of potential, but it feels a lightweight boiler house? Any Leinster side is strong, it'll be a good first game. Hopefully home advantage swings it, but then Cardiff have a terrible record with Nigel reffing - he's like a bad luck charm!

998d1078cad68ac7238b82c4bbc97aa5.jpg

Was almost right apart from the props. Moore has picked up a calf injury, Hond... who knows?

Munster (v Cheetahs):

15. Mike Haley
14. Darren Sweetnam
13. Dan Goggin
12. Rory Scannell
11. Shane Daly
10. JJ Hanrahan
9. Neil Cronin

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Mike Sherry
3. John Ryan
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Billy Holland (captain)
6. Dave O'Callaghan
7. Tommy O'Donnell
8. Arno Botha

Replacements:

16. Rhys Marshall
17. Brian Scott
18. Stephen Archer
19. Darren O'Shea
20. Gavin Coombes
21. James Hart
22. Joey Carbery
23. Sammy Arnold

Selection surprised me a tiny bit. Didn't think Cronin would start and surprised Munster legend Carberry is there. Interested to see how Daly does too. Nice to see Ryan start

Given it's the cheetahs with a loose game I'd expect jj to look like the second coming. However it's Cronin I'm most interested in. If he plays like he does at all level he'll leapfrog Duncan and hart easily. Big chance for Shane Daly. Is it his debut? Tidy player. Think he could make it although ridiculous amount of competition at wing. Another chance for Coombes.

Selection surprised me a tiny bit. Didn't think Cronin would start and surprised Munster legend Carberry is there. Interested to see how Daly does too. Nice to see Ryan start

He may be a legend, but I doubt he'll ever be a ligind!

Decent half. Tracy, Ruddock and Doris have been good up front. Bent should probably make way for Akbalidze in terms of pecking order. Tomane looks a big upgrade on Reid at 12 and is letting O'Loughlin is looking a lot more confident as a result. Good to see Adam Byrne playing pretty well after last season. Dave Kearney looks really dangerous going forward at 15 but can't defend at all there. Way too many missed tackles though but it's the first game of the season and everything. Better than expected all things considered.

Serious looking knee injury for Minozzi. I think we'll be lucky to have him for the 6N. Thankfully Zebre have the second best Italian fullback in Padovani - so it shouldn't be fatal for their ***le push. Kings showing improved fitness.

Pro14 streaming the other two fixtures on YouTube, which isn't a good sign! Cardiff game geoblocked for me but the Ospreys one isn't.

Latest posts