• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018-19 Guinness Pro 14] Round 1 (31/08/2018-01/09/2018)

I've plasted JGP several times in the past but he's made a big impact today. Porter has been great as well.

I'll take a bonus point win on the road any day of the week but there's a lot for Leinster to work on.

Biggest positives were Andrew Porter and Bryan Byrne off the bench, the scrum halves, Adam Byrne's fielding, Rory O'Loughlin in attack, Ross Byrne showing a more rounded game than in seasons past and the fact that the team pulled themselves back from a 15 point deficit.

It was a debut to forget for Joe Tomane.

Best players on the field were in Blue. I was really impressed with Ellis Jenkins.

I'll take a bonus point win on the road any day of the week but there's a lot for Leinster to work on.

Biggest positives were Andrew Porter and Bryan Byrne off the bench, the scrum halves, Adam Byrne's fielding, Rory O'Loughlin in attack, Ross Byrne showing a more rounded game than in seasons past and the fact that the team pulled themselves back from a 15 point deficit.

Best players on the field were in Blue. I was really impressed with Ellis Jenkins.
What are the views on Brian and Ed Byrne. Have heard very good reports on both for years but yet to see the breakthrough. Like was it just talent ahead of them or what

Injuries have held Ed Byrne back. He was outstanding at underage level and has shown flashes of what he can do for Leinster. Bryan Byrne is great around the field but not a great lineout thrower. If he sorts that out, he could go on to win international caps.

Was like watching a Wales v Australia game. Just knew it was going to happen in the last few minutes :(

Ellis Jenkins has been immense for the last 2 seasons. Just happens to be in the most ridiculously competitive position in Welsh (possibly European/World rugby) as a Wales 7.

Nick Williams and Ellis Jenkins going off meant all the momentum was lost at the breakdown in a crucial time of the game. The game turned at that point for me. Needed Manoa on the bench for this game as it was too much forward momentum to lose.

Thought Morgan and Halaholo had games to forget. When the game was 29-19, Shingler could have come on to cover at fullback, as Morgan was bombed all night and made a right hash of things. I still can't see how halaholo and lee-lo are going work together. This was a problem all last season. The new coaching team have some big choices to make over the next few games.

A positive for me was Harries. What a tidy signing he seems to be. Big man, pacey, very good defensive positioning. Two decent finishes tonight. I like him.

Leinster's depth is mighty impressive. They looked a very drilled team who trusted each other. Carried them through in the end.

Last edited:
Sale literally don't have a fit/not-banned full back on their books, yet half the Irish sides have Sale fullbacks starting for them

1N0UjV3_d.jpg

What are the views on Brian and Ed Byrne. Have heard very good reports on both for years but yet to see the breakthrough. Like was it just talent ahead of them or what

They were more or less unstoppable in school for Clongowes and coming out of school I'd have said they were moth likely to be Lions. Ed Byrne had two very serious injuries back to back and he's been decent since he got back from them. Bryan can't throw but he's very good around the pitch (proper Leinster hooker). I'd put them both in the potential international quality bracket but the obvious counterpoint is that they're 24 and nowwhere near an Champions Cup match day squad.

As for the rest of the team, JGP has continued on his excellent form from the end of last season. Adam Byrne looked like the player he was before the injury, he's still got a way to go to get back into the Ireland squad though. O'Loughlin looked a lot more confident that he did last season. Coming back to win from 19 points down is testament to the character of a lot of players and a huge endorsement of making Ruddock vice-captain who incidentally looked at home despite being out of position. Doris showed signs of his enormous talent but Josh Murphy was quiet and I could see Deegan coming in for him next week with Doris at 6.

There's work to be done especially in defence but today was a bp win away from home. Cardiff would have well deserved their win had it gone their way. Owens had a great game as ref. Above all, I'm delighted that rugby's back.

Watched and enjoyed both games last night. Blues vs Leinster was a great opener and although I thought the Blues played extremely well (for 60 mins at least) the end result really does show the quality in depth that the Dubliners possess. Thought that the Blues backline looked dangerous but that their forward pack were just out muscled by their equivalents over the full 80. Still, Arhip, Thornton, Jenkins and Williams... together with Jarrod Evans, Jason Harries all showed up well. Harries had a great game that would have probably seen him selected for MOTM as well as a win for the Blues had he not been pinged for a penalty late on.

Ospreys vs Edinburgh was also a good contest and resulted in a good win for the O's. North took his tries well and looked sharp (a couple of kilos lighter than usual too) and the whole back line looked more than decent, which is a step up from the last campaign. Gutted for Luke Price, his positioning on Osprey ball looked like just what they needed in terms of playing flat to the line. His distribution out of hand looked slick too, so to see him go off after the 1st quarter was disappointing.

Looking forward to the rest of the matches this weekend with a keen eye on the Dragons vs Benetton match, it could be genuine contest when you consider how the Italians did last year and how Jackman must have targeted this game. Could be an early season war.

New year same old Connacht choke artistry. Really disappointing they were solid for so longs but they lack leaders and intelligent players. Blade tapped and went twice stupidly. He should be beaten over the head for doing it once.
Class stuff from Sweetnam in Thomond. Coming in hot off a good pre season

I must admit that the heavy losses of the Cheetahs and the Kings this weekend has made me more optimistic about the Sharks possibly joining the Pro 14, might just be some valuable competition.

Enjoyed the first weekend, if a little shocked out the outcomes of all four games involving Welsh a teams. Although I thought all three losses would have only been tight wins... and I had little hope for the O's against Edinburgh but they pulled it out in fairness.

Fair play to Leinster (crazy depth), Ulster (great 1st half performance & just about held it together during the 2nd) & Benetton (Dragons were just woeful but you can only beat what's in front of you) a great start to the season for all three teams. As far as the Welsh boys, Blues were pretty damn good but they seemed to have thought they won it at 55 mins. Scarlets had little ball and give away some uncharacteristically stupid penalties but were still in it at the death. Ospreys weren't great but beat a surging Edinburgh, so they should be pretty happy. The Dragons just could not catch a pass, Jackman must've put SOOOOO much emphasis on getting the three points against the Itallians that they were just paralysed by the pressure they felt. They will be feeling right up against it after one game as crazy as that sounds.

Man, the Cheetahs was horrible. But I'm really glad I watched the game because there was a guy playing for Munster that made me a bit more hopeful. And that man is the forgotten Mr. Arno Botha. And man he was great for Munster and I really hope he fits into Rassie's plans as he's looking like a very good candidate for the Boks at No.8.

No point in judging someone too much on a non event. Seen plenty of players look like world beaters given an extra 2 yards of space!

Man, the Cheetahs was horrible. But I'm really glad I watched the game because there was a guy playing for Munster that made me a bit more hopeful. And that man is the forgotten Mr. Arno Botha. And man he was great for Munster and I really hope he fits into Rassie's plans as he's looking like a very good candidate for the Boks at No.8.

Duane will be back for the World Cup... a very close second to Keiran Read in best 8 on the planet imo.

Latest posts