• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018-19 Guinness Pro 14] Round 16 (22-24/02/2019)

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
It is the one weekend a year, when all other rugby is set aside and the nations focus exclusively on the Pro14.

Fixtures (my picks in bold)

Friday

Glasgow Warriors vs Connacht
Ospreys vs Munster
Leinster vs Southern Kings

Saturday

Benetton vs Dragons
Edinburgh vs Cardiff Blues
Ulster vs Zebre

Sunday

Scarlets vs Cheetahs

Main Storylines - guaranteed to stand the test of time

- Continued improved strength in depth means Scottish sides defy my expectations and continue their march to an all Scottish final in Glasgow even though they are losing their internationals
- Benetton win again (this has trap game written all over it, I'm getting altogether too smug about Benetton and a wee dose of disappointment is about due)
- Scarlets inexplicably flirt with the prospect of elimination, but squeak home
- 2018/19's most improved flyhalf Jack Carty has another MotM style showing as Connacht push Glasgow to the limit
- Zebre don't back up their decent showing against Leinster.
- relief for the Kings as they back up getting nilled at Munster with a gentler fixture in which they score 3 points (an increase of infinite percent!)

15. Barry Daly (31)
14. Fergus McFadden (173)
13. Conor O'Brien (13)
12. Noel Reid (115)
11. James Lowe (24)
10. Ross Byrne (63)
9. Hugh O'Sullivan (9)
1. Ed Byrne (36)
2. Rónan Kelleher (0)
3. Andrew Porter (46)
4. Ross Molony (79) CAPTAIN
5. Mick Kearney (46)
6. Josh Murphy (16)
7. Max Deegan (36)
8. Caelan Doris (10)

16. James Tracy (85)
17. Peter Dooley (57)
18. Michael Bent (117)
19. Jack Dunne (1)
20. Scott Fardy (36)
21. Paddy Patterson (1)
22. Jimmy O'Brien (4)
23. Rory O'Loughlin (56)

Decent team. Great to see Kelleher. If he's as good as hoped he'll rise up the ranks at hooker fairly quickly because it's far from our strongest position. Great to see Ferg back as well.

Post a big rant in the politics thread he said. You won't miss anything with Leinster vs Kings he said.

The upset will never happen, but it's an interesting enough game it seems.

We were very happy to get the win and alot more experience. Beirne was a beast again and Fineen Wycherley is really pushing his value up massively

Wycherley looks very good.
Will be a beast once he fully hits physical abilities. Could easily have been Man Of Thr Match. His future is in the 2nd row but he really is doing great job as a 6 these last few weeks

Will be a beast once he fully hits physical abilities. Could easily have been Man Of Thr Match. His future is in the 2nd row but he really is doing great job as a 6 these last few weeks
He's very impressive. Should overtake Holland sometime in the relatively near future. Beinre was brilliant as well though, I hope he gets a start against France.

He's very impressive. Should overtake Holland sometime in the relatively near future. Beinre was brilliant as well though, I hope he gets a start against France.
Holland is still a superb squad player and vital for his set piece knowledge especially in games like last night. On ability alone Fineen is ahead even now. But Beirne may get a start against Framce but lock is very well stocked now for Ireland. I think Ryan and Beirne are the 2 most complete locks by a distamce in Ireland but that doesn't meant that you dispose the rest

I agree Tadhg Beirne could start against France. His best shot at starting that game could be at blindside to rest Peter O'Mahony. Ireland are really stacked at second row at the moment but probably lack a replacement 6 who has a similar skillset to O'Mahony. I'd love to see Beirne start alongside James Ryan as Ireland deny Wales a Slam with Iain Henderson as impact sub.

Leinster were very patchy last night. Apparently Ronan Kelleher was the 54th player to feature for them this season. Ross Molony is quietly having an excellent season.

I agree Tadhg Beirne could start against France. His best shot at starting that game could be at blindside to rest Peter O'Mahony. Ireland are really stacked at second row at the moment but probably lack a replacement 6 who has a similar skillset to O'Mahony. I'd love to see Beirne start alongside James Ryan as Ireland deny Wales a Slam with Iain Henderson as impact sub.

Leinster were very patchy last night. Apparently Ronan Kelleher was the 54th player to feature for them this season. Ross Molony is quietly having an excellent season.
Definitely alot of options but hard to see POM rested. He should be though due to milage.

That's exactly it, you want players to be completely fresh from September to November. Ireland should be good enough to win at home without O'Mahony. I could see him and Keith Earls being rested for that game with Jordan Larmour and Tadhg Beirne replacing them. James Ryan, Rory Best, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw and Cian Healy could come back into the team too for that game. The squad will need to be rotated with the game in Cardiff coming up just 6 days later.

That's exactly it, you want players to be completely fresh from September to November. Ireland should be good enough to win at home without O'Mahony. I could see him and Keith Earls being rested for that game with Jordan Larmour and Tadhg Beirne replacing them. James Ryan, Rory Best, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw and Cian Healy could come back into the team too for that game. The squad will need to be rotated with the game in Cardiff coming up just 6 days later.
Agreed and well reality is the Championship is gone. So a rotating policy with aim of winning games should be view and also keep guys fresh for provinces.
6 Day turn around is important too as you say to game in Cardiff. Guys like Henshaw are undercooked so probably should be let play for Leinster next week too.

Ospreys' narrow loss to Munster was as expected. What concerned me the most is how the Liberty Stadium just seems to be getting emptier and emptier.

Benetton had a record victory over the Dragons. I predicted they'd win, but not like that ffs! If Benetton could in the long-term at least establish themselves as a mid-table team then that'd be great for both the Pro 14 and Italian rugby.

Cardiff had an excellent comeback win at Edinburgh, and IMO are the form Welsh pro team and are the most likely ones to make the play-offs. Now, imagine if they started the season better - they could be 2nd or even 1st in the conference.

Scarlets ought to beat Cheetahs comfortably enough even with players missing.

Latest posts