• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018-19 Guinness Pro 14] Round 5 (28 & 29/09/2018)

Leinster completely bullied Connacht in the home team's annual cup final. Hard to pick a man of the match because nobody stood out. James Lowe as usual was very threatening in attack but threw a few too many hail mary passes. Leinster's handling let them down at times. Despite a screw up at the end, I thought Rory O'Loughlin looked really sharp when he came on.

We we have BP but still seems very flat. Joey really mixing it well and well its a big win ahead of next week in the cauldron and then 2 weeks of tough European action. Alby has been very good too

This ulster team are a shambles. Wasn't worth the trip for them down to loose Cooney and Henderson.
At least they got to drive on a nice non bumpy road.

How **** was Ulster now Piutau has left. Ulster has lots of injuries but that's a very embarrassing scoreline against Munster.
I wonder if MOM Carbery still qualifies as a Kiwi because we might need him if BBarret does'nt fire.

Jesus Christ, missed that stamp while driving to work, scummer.

How **** was Ulster now Piutau has left. Ulster has lots of injuries but that's a very embarrassing scoreline against Munster.
I wonder if MOM Carbery still qualifies as a Kiwi because we might need him if BBarret does'nt fire.
Ulster are better than when he was there! Carbery has played for Ireland a fair few times now!

Although there wasn't even a losing bonus point for the Dragons this evening, it was their best performance of this season so far for me. With some first choice players to come back in, they could well get that elusive Welsh derby win next week against the Blues. Special mention for Tavis Knoyle, probably always gonna be second choice to Rhodri Williams but played a fine game tonight.

*now Addison is injured.

Didn't realise Carbery was a kiwi, the love in makes a lot more sense now. Dirty poaching Irish.
He's only half kiwi, its the half that made the decision for him leave a dominant team for a raise just because he couldn't oust the best player in the world in his position!

Although there wasn't even a losing bonus point for the Dragons this evening, it was their best performance of this season so far for me. With some first choice players to come back in, they could well get that elusive Welsh derby win next week against the Blues. Special mention for Tavis Knoyle, probably always gonna be second choice to Rhodri Williams but played a fine game tonight.

Maybe, but they were little more than 'spirited'. They battled well, defending well on the whole, but they were second best in almost every facet of the game. When they have the ball their phase play is frankly abysmal. Elliot Dee is the only player who gets them over the advantage line without losing the ball in contact or getting himself isolated. They either send one-up runners into contact and struggle to generate quick ball, or ship the ball across the backline. Both result in them losing considerable ground and ultimately are forced to box kick. There was a number of occasions today where they started with a lineout in or around the Glasgow 10m line, but after a number of phases were back in their own half.

I just don't see all that much improvement in them yet. They're not shipping as many points, but they're still horribly blunt in attack, and they're far too passive when defending in the opposition half, which gives the opposition easy territory, meaning the Dragons spend far too much time deep in their own half. Jordan Williams is given zero space to work in eirher which is a real shame, because he's lethal if given an inch. Rosser is a fine runner on the wing as well, but every time the ball reached him as the Dragons just passed it laterally across the backline, he was forced to try to cut inside and was easily tackled every time.

10 is still a massive problem position for them. None of their options seem capable of playing a territorial game, and none of them direct their attach all that well. You see Patchell directing the Scarlets around the field, or Anscombe the Blues, and you see how much the Dragons are lacking someone with authority in such a pivotal position. Sam Davies is struggling a little in this regard as well, with the Ospreys looking disjointed as well.

Hopefully they're working hard on their skills and attacking structures, because they won't win many games unless they can improve both. Sure they'll battle and keep the scores close for an hour or so, but most sides will find a way through.

*now Addison is injured.

Didn't realise Carbery was a kiwi, the love in makes a lot more sense now. Dirty poaching Irish.

And even that half had Irish parents anyway. If he's a Kiwi Jamie Heaslip is from Israel.

Looking at some of the Kiwi 10s NZ has produced lately maybe NZ should start patenting them.

Marty Banks currently Japan Canes formerly Benetto Treviso

Jimmy Gopperth at Wasps

Aaron Cruden at Montpellier

Tyler Bleyendaal at Munster

Dan Carter at former Racing Metro now Japan Steelers

Colin Slade at Pau

Luke McAlister at Toulon

James Marshall at London Irish

James Wilson at Bath

Simon Hickey at Bordeaux

Ben Botica at Oyonnax

Joey Carbery at Munster

Hayden Parker at the Sunwolves

Last edited:
Gareth Anscombe is also a Kiwi but plays for Wales since his mother is from Cardiff. Hadleigh Parkes at the Scarlets has also occasionally filled in at fly-half. And the Dragons have Jacob Botica, formerly of semi-pro North Walian team RGC1404.

Maybe, but they were little more than 'spirited'. They battled well, defending well on the whole, but they were second best in almost every facet of the game. When they have the ball their phase play is frankly abysmal. Elliot Dee is the only player who gets them over the advantage line without losing the ball in contact or getting himself isolated. They either send one-up runners into contact and struggle to generate quick ball, or ship the ball across the backline. Both result in them losing considerable ground and ultimately are forced to box kick. There was a number of occasions today where they started with a lineout in or around the Glasgow 10m line, but after a number of phases were back in their own half.

I just don't see all that much improvement in them yet. They're not shipping as many points, but they're still horribly blunt in attack, and they're far too passive when defending in the opposition half, which gives the opposition easy territory, meaning the Dragons spend far too much time deep in their own half. Jordan Williams is given zero space to work in eirher which is a real shame, because he's lethal if given an inch. Rosser is a fine runner on the wing as well, but every time the ball reached him as the Dragons just passed it laterally across the backline, he was forced to try to cut inside and was easily tackled every time.

10 is still a massive problem position for them. None of their options seem capable of playing a territorial game, and none of them direct their attach all that well. You see Patchell directing the Scarlets around the field, or Anscombe the Blues, and you see how much the Dragons are lacking someone with authority in such a pivotal position. Sam Davies is struggling a little in this regard as well, with the Ospreys looking disjointed as well.

Hopefully they're working hard on their skills and attacking structures, because they won't win many games unless they can improve both. Sure they'll battle and keep the scores close for an hour or so, but most sides will find a way through.

Fair, I'm just going off the games I have seen of the Dragons this season (only missed the Zebre win, which I heard was quite a professional performance given the the conditions). I have been VERY underwhelmed by their performances against Benetton, Kings and Leinster and felt VERY worried about an under strength squad going to Glasgow (a notoriously difficult trip for any team) yet I genuinely felt it was the best performance of theirs I have seen thus far this term.

At the end of the day it's a pointless loss so I get your points but there was some definite positives to take away and expand upon. Conversely, the Blues looked awful on Friday night and therefore I feel the Dragons are in with a shout next round.

Good game for Leinster after a shaky start. The main disappointment might be that we didn't manage to get a bp given our dominance but the defence was excellent and holding Connacht scoreless for 79 minutes is more of an a achievement than running in a few tries. That said, the final pass needs to be a lot better.

Joe Tomane finally put in a strong performance after a poor start in blue. Ringrose and Larmour look brilliant. Andrew Porter was great when he came on and seems like he's gone up a level from last season. Sean O'Brien getting 60 or so minutes is great to see but you'd hope Ruddock is alright as well.

Josh Van Der Flier should be starting in green on current form.

It was as poor a back to back performance by Glasgow as I've seen, so it is hard to judge the level of the Dragons. I was a fully signed up member of the Rennie hype train but my faith is wavering.

Hastings is the business (already almost as good as Finn in all aspects except kicking), but the pack don't make much impact, Jackson is non-threatening at fullback and Dunbar, Huw, Price and Seymour all seem to have regressed a bit this year. Should make Conference A more unpredictable at least, but the quest to find a credible challenger to Leinster goes on.

Latest posts