• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018-19 Guinness Pro 14] Round 8 (23 & 24/11/2018)

Good win for Dragons, but they made hard work of it considering they were on top for large periods of the game.

Olly Griffiths was sensational. He's hugely explosive ball in hand, and he's incredibly quick for a backrowers as well. I wonder if Gats has missed a chance to have a good look at him this autumn, because he could be the cover at 8 we need, with the ability to play at 6 and 7 to equally high levels.

What a difference Tovey is making as well. He offers far more control that the other options Jackman has tried at 10, whilst also offering the playmaking option.

Hopefully this can kick start their season, because they looked like a good team out there today. And with a few players due to come back in from the Wales camp they should be able to pick up some more wins if they play like that.

The worry is that they still could have lost that match at the end. Some poor errors/decisions in the last 2 minutes handed Edinburgh a lineout 10m out, but luckily Edinburgh couldn't do much with the ball. A better side may have taken that gift of an opportunity and stolen the game at the death.

Cheetahs got their first win for the season, albeit against a weakened Benneton Treviso side. But that's just what they needed coming back after a long break. And I also have a suspicion that they might be strengthening their team as the Super Rugby squads are being announced.

It's a bot worrying that Tovey has looked the best a Dragons 10 has for the two years of Jackman's spell. I agree with Dullonien that Olly Griffiths must be given a chance by Wales, I don't agree with 'not big enough to play test rugby' if you good enough your bug enough.

I am glad the Dragons won. They had to. It is worrying that they made such hard work of it. A win is a win I suppose. They need something major to happen. Trouble is they will find it hard to attract decent players. I reckon Henson will end up on their coaching staff.

That Zebre pitch was pure muck... literally! Made for a poor enough game entertainment wise.

Has it been that bad this season? Or was that an exception. Surely the PRO14 may have to step in if it gets any worse.

Last edited:
Cheetahs got their first win for the season, albeit against a weakened Benneton Treviso side. But that's just what they needed coming back after a long break. And I also have a suspicion that they might be strengthening their team as the Super Rugby squads are being announced.

It was their second win actually - they beat Cardiff at the beginning of the month. (For that matter, before that they also drew with Ulster).

It's a bot worrying that Tovey has looked the best a Dragons 10 has for the two years of Jackman's spell. I agree with Dullonien that Olly Griffiths must be given a chance by Wales, I don't agree with 'not big enough to play test rugby' if you good enough your bug enough.

Ollie Griffiths is one of the most musclebound sportsmen I have ever seen. Hardly small:
images

That Zebre pitch was pure muck... literally! Made for a poor enough game entertainment wise.

Has it been that bad this season? Or was that an exception. Surely the PRO14 may have to step in if it gets any worse.
Just got worst due to weather. Was bitter cold and medical rooms broke down too which was nuts for us

Looked a decent performance in the shite. Coombes n Wycherley certainly look up to it physically.
Yeah and it will stand to them hugely.
Bill J did well in sloppy conditions too which was key. We were very luck to get a BP but it jeeps momentum going.

WE were haunted to get the bp. But important to win with the younger lads. Impressed with Jeremy loughman tbh.
Johnson looks the real deal alright. Although having Tyler outside him takes a lot of the pressure off. Botha has proved his worth of late.

Big win from the weegies too. We'll need help reeling them in. Right now it's off to the rds again in a May semi final

Another sare yin for Cockerill & Edinburgh. I said Tovey was good enough to have regular play time in this league (if he can improve defensively).

I should have backed Connacht given the strength of the side they put out. Silly me.

Impressive from Glasgow. They must have a good chance of a home final if they can do this well without their internationals.

No, that's as bad as it's been. The weather always seems damp in Parma so I can't see it improving much. It'll really prevent Zebre from playing to their strengths too.

A Glasgow fan here in America. Just checking in to wish the Warriors well.

3hFBHsC.png

Watching Blues try really hard not to win atm. Really struggling with the way Jo Neville is reffing though. Its hard conditions but she just is not letting the game flow at all. Players to blame too but its really hard watching. Its like Clancy mark 2!

I just watched a replay of Edinburgh's 20-12 victory over the Scarlets in Wales on ESPN+. It was a very entertaining match, lot's of hard hits.

I just watched a replay of Edinburgh's 20-12 victory over the Scarlets in Wales on ESPN+. It was a very entertaining match, lot's of hard hits.

The transformation of Edinburgh both in terms of the quality of rugby they play and the winning mentality instilled in them is down to their head coach Cockers. It's becoming clear that getting him was quite a coup - the man is a high calibre coach. If Scotland struggle at the WC or if Townsend for some reason decided to step down then I would love to see what Cockers could do with them on the international stage.

Latest posts