• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018/19 Heineken Cup] Round 1: Pool 2 (13&14/10/2018)

Do you worry about Munster's away form? They've won just 2 from 7 on the road this season. Those wins were against Zebre and Cheetahs. It follows on from their poor away form last season too (5 wins from 15 on the road). I don't fancy Munster to get a result in Gloucester.
Not as big a worry. What you say is fact but if you look there a reason for alot eg half strength vs stronger etc. I'd be confident vs Glaws. Not a gimme by any assumption though

Not as big a worry. What you say is fact but if you look there a reason for alot eg half strength vs stronger etc. I'd be confident vs Glaws. Not a gimme by any assumption though
The only teams they've beaten away from home in the last two seasons are Leicester, Ospreys, Kings, Cheetahs and Zebre. I don't buy the half strength versus full strength argument as Munster have 24 full internationals in their squad. A half strength squad would still have 12 internationals! They're simply not performing when they leave their home province.

I'd like to see Munster win in Gloucester, just wouldn't be confident based on their away form the last couple of seasons and also their poor shape in attack. They were nowhere near good enough in both back to back games against Castres.

Munster are definitely worse than 12 months ago too imo. Which doesnt make sense given the personnel change. They'll get out of this pool handy, six points likely does it, but they might not see a semi final in either comp this season, which would be bad no matter how you look at it.

Munster are definitely worse than 12 months ago too imo. Which doesnt make sense given the personnel change. They'll get out of this pool handy, six points likely does it, but they might not see a semi final in either comp this season, which would be bad no matter how you look at it.
It hard to tell. Kleyn and Beirne haven't had chance to bed in yet. Murray probably worst at moment than last year. Joey was poor yesterday. And well opposite is we peaked early last season. We may not win a trophy but if we can gel to maximum at March time on who knows

The only teams they've beaten away from home in the last two seasons are Leicester, Ospreys, Kings, Cheetahs and Zebre. I don't buy the half strength versus full strength argument as Munster have 24 full internationals in their squad. A half strength squad would still have 12 internationals! They're simply not performing when they leave their home province.

I'd like to see Munster win in Gloucester, just wouldn't be confident based on their away form the last couple of seasons and also their poor shape in attack. They were nowhere near good enough in both back to back games against Castres.
But we will both agree a few who you are classing internationals are not of that standard. We have not got super depth. And at that weneed to gel morr

But we will both agree a few who you are classing internationals are not of that standard. We have not got super depth. And at that weneed to gel morr
Almost every coach in Europe would love to have that Munster squad. The team they put on the field both weeks against Castres should have done a lot better.

I won't compare Munster to Leinster here because Leinster have unprecedented depth for an Irish team. I will compare them to Ulster and Connacht. Each of those teams are playing at a level which exceeds the sum of their parts. Are Munster?

At the weekend, they started 10 Ireland internationals who featured during the Autumn tests and Conor Murray. That team should be doing a hell of a lot better.

Almost every coach in Europe would love to have that Munster squad. The team they put on the field both weeks against Castres should have done a lot better.

I won't compare Munster to Leinster here because Leinster have unprecedented depth for an Irish team. I will compare them to Ulster and Connacht. Each of those teams are playing at a level which exceeds the sum of their parts. Are Munster?

At the weekend, they started 10 Ireland internationals who featured during the Autumn tests and Conor Murray. That team should be doing a hell of a lot better.
But nobody is denying that we were poor the weekend.
I do agree our coaching in attack should probably be better. I'd still say we are playing at a higher level that Ulster and Connacht.
I'd alsonsay Conor has weakened us the last 2 weeks. I think Alby has outplayed him but that is due to match practice.

But yes I can't deny we are underperforming

Munster (v Gloucester)

15. Mike Haley
14. Andrew Conway
13. Chris Farrell
12. Rory Scannell
11. Keith Earls
10. Joey Carbery
9. Conor Murray

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Niall Scannell
3. Stephen Archer
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Tadhg Beirne
6. Peter O'Mahony (Captain)
7. Tommy O'Donnell
8. CJ Stander

Replacements
16. Rhys Marshall
17. Jeremy Loughman
18. John Ryan
19. Billy Holland
20. Arno Botha
21. Alby Mathewson
22. Tyler Bleyendaal
23. Dan Goggin

That's an unbelievably strong selection for this stage of the season with fairly few injuries to think of. Been a while since our bench looked this good too. Hope Farrell isn't been rushed back. We'd want to sort our form out in a big way. Played pretty well in our last two games now but our European form has been miserable. Time for a strong run of form now and need to put this crowd to the sword if we can.

That's as good as it gets for us. Hoping the recent run of form continues. This is the time of year to start performing. Never easy to get a win in England but needs must now.

Wow it is freezing over here.
But lads we have learnt in past it no point peaking in Nov Dec. Now we just need to get a win. And then build over 6 Nations

Delighted that Farrell got the clear. I hope Cips is still feeling a bit rough and TOD runs some hard lines down his channel! I'll unfortunately miss this as I'll be on a 13 hour flight, but I really hope to come to Thomond Park next week buoyed by tonight's result, with a home QF in reach.

It's do or die for Munster now. We have under-performed at times this season but I also think some people, Munster and non-Munster alike, have slightly unrealistic expectations of where this Munster squad is at. Carbery is still only 23 and has had less than 5 games playing with Murray (or roughly that amount). Only been a half season with JvG properly in charge and not just keeping up with what Rassie left behind, not to mention the raft of injuries we suffered earlier on this season. Even if we don't make it past a QF I won't be too disappointed. Of course I will be, but I know this stuff takes time. I am optimistic about the future. JvG was a bit of a gamble but I have to say I like him. Our attack really clicked into gear last week, and our discipline has improved considerably the past few weeks (we lost the plot a few times early on this season and also last season with Rassie).

So gutted I'll miss this. I don't know much about Gloucester rugby but from what I gather they seem to be a Connacht-y type of team. Can play great rugby to a high standard but also inconsistent and succumb to pressure. A win tonight and this season will shape up to be a very good one. I hope we meet Leinster again either in the Pro14 or CC. Crazy to think how close we came to beating them last year in the Pro 14 SF.

Wierd situation where though munster are top if they and castre lose this weekend it becomes a very close last round where all teams are very much in contention. Theres a chance all 4 teams could be with 1 point with castre at the bottom on 11.

All to play for given the other pools, the team in top goes through and the other 3 likly out on points as they wont make top 8.

Just to put it out there i think munster will win today and top the pool but its by no means guarenteed.

CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE CASTRES

15 Jack Nowell
14 Santiago Cordero
13 Henry Slade
12 Ollie Devoto
11 Tom O'Flaherty
10 Joe Simmonds
9 Nic White
1 Alec Hepburn
2 Jack Yeandle (capt)
3 Tomas Francis
4 Dave Dennis
5 Jonny Hill
6 Sam Skinner
7 Don Armand
8 Matt Kvesic

16 Luke Cowan-Dickie
17 Ben Moon
18 Harry Williams
19 Mitch Lees
20 Sean Lonsdale
21 Jack Maunder
22 Gareth Steenson
23 Ian Whitten

The first 10mis has gone incredibly quickly.

Edit: not liking the scrums. They are a restart, not until one team buckles. We could see such a better game without him at the helm.

Last edited:
Wouldya look at that, Morgan tells Poite to look at Munster's scrummaging and the next scrum Gloucester get a penalty

Latest posts