• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018/19 Heineken Cup] Round 1: Pool 2 (13&14/10/2018)

How to demolish a scrum and not get a penalty award should go to Exeter there

We got a result. Would have bitten hands off for drae before game. And English fans giving out aboutrefs and us today and Leinster last night.
That is the sign of good days work.
So far the best team in England draw at home against the 6th or 7th in Pro14. Yet we are still told 1 league is way worst.

Agree with Alpha it was big resylt but we need to build on it and improve. I know Joey overcooked a kick at end there but he was excellent directing it and kicked well.
The Dunc just delivered his best game at 9. Nothing special but basics executed perfectly for conditions.

I though POM was poor myself and Kilcoyne and Cronin both very poor at 1. But Tadgh Beirne. What a man. I call it here that he can be better than POC.

Ref lost the plot at the end there, numerous penalties missed,
Scrum, high tackle, tackler not releasing, POM lying on top of the ball pretending to try and roll
I'm convinced there's an unwritten agreement among refs not to make any decisions after 80 minutes apart from a knock on or forward pass. There was two or three Munster infringements as well as Exe holding on in that last play, Owens in the Ireland v France game is another example of which there are numerous. Although if I'm not mistaking refs are told to play on once the ball is available at a scrum like it was there, could have also been an Exe slip.

I'm convinced there's an unwritten agreement among refs not to make any decisions after 80 minutes apart from a knock on or forward pass. There was two or three Munster infringements as well as Exe holding on in that last play, Owens in the Ireland v France game is another example of which there are numerous. Although if I'm not mistaking refs are told to play on once the ball is available at a scrum like it was there, could have also been an Exe slip.
But even through game. We could've got done for Conway chase, Exe deliberately use ref as block in line's at least 4 times, both teams felt hurt at scrums, Exeter got away with going over top alot too. But feel overall no point blaming ref. In conditions like that it'll always be dog fight

We got a result. Would have bitten hands off for drae before game. And English fans giving out aboutrefs and us today and Leinster last night.
That is the sign of good days work.
So far the best team in England draw at home against the 6th or 7th in Pro14. Yet we are still told 1 league is way worst.

Agree with Alpha it was big resylt but we need to build on it and improve. I know Joey overcooked a kick at end there but he was excellent directing it and kicked well.
The Dunc just delivered his best game at 9. Nothing special but basics executed perfectly for conditions.

I though POM was poor myself and Kilcoyne and Cronin both very poor at 1. But Tadgh Beirne. What a man. I call it here that he can be better than POC.

Far the best team? So the best team that got comprehensively beaten by Saracens last season? Ok.

Wouldn't surprise me,
I imagine there's definitely a ****ling thought in the back of the brain about not wanting to be blamed for the win/loss.

Far the best team? So the best team that got comprehensively beaten by Saracens last season? Ok.
Only quoting media all week. And even today when we arrived today. As was shouted. "Welcome to the big leagues today boys". And thats not a dig at Exeter they're great fans. And great atmosphere.

It's best not to try, some people just have this strawman in their head and love to wheel it out whenever they can

Only quoting media all week.
Imagine supporting Munster or Leinster and thinking the media is against you

To be fair lads muff said "So far the best team", I think he meant "the best team so far this season". I've learnt to read munsterish reasonably well over the years, it's similar to Connachtish which I now read and speak fluently after three years there.

It's best not to try, some people just have this strawman in their head and love to wheel it out whenever they can

Imagine supporting Munster or Leinster and thinking the media is against you
Not sure how saying Exeter are best team in English league means media is against us or Leinster. Actually can't see how you assume that.

Bit of a ridiculous statement. Lots of journos have been discussing how powerful top of the Prem Exeter are, within reason too, they are leading their domestic league. They are a good side who will likely make the play offs. I don't see how stating an objective fact equates to thinking the media is out to get you but sure look...

I can't wait to welcome Exeter to Thomond. I think Munster have got the ball rolling nicely now, albeit with a bit of a sputter at the start of the reason. We are gonna need a dash of luck if we have a hope of winning the thing. It's no secret that winning Europe generally means having a high quality extended squad. I think our back ups are starting to make names for themselves but they're still a long way off second strings of Saracens or Leinster. Carbery, Murray, PoM, Stander, Beirne and Earls. Think if we can keep these 6 players fit then we have decent enough rotation elsewhere in the squad to maybe see us through a tough knock out spot. Exciting stuff anyways, not to pile on the media hype, but Carbery really does seem to have been the missing link. Beirne as well, really adds a wallop of class to the pack. Would be a shame if Carbery goes down and misses out. Unless TB comes back all guns blazing, I don't think Keats or JJ have what it takes to get us to a final.

So...top of English premiership just about scrape a draw against mid table of the pro-14. 3rd place get absolutely spanked by Leinster...Saracens vs Glasgow is now about English clubs getting some pride back on top.

There is an argument that the Irish and Scottish teams are closer in standard to the national team as their players are generally more concentrated, but I still would have expected the English teams to have performed better overall. It maybe that in reality the English premiership only really has one team that plays well all round which is Sarries. Exeter's forward power works well domestically, but struggles abroad...anything below the top 2 this year doesn't have a look in.

So...top of English premiership just about scrape a draw against mid table of the pro-14. 3rd place get absolutely spanked by Leinster...Saracens vs Glasgow is now about English clubs getting some pride back on top.

There is an argument that the Irish and Scottish teams are closer in standard to the national team as their players are generally more concentrated, but I still would have expected the English teams to have performed better overall. It maybe that in reality the English premiership only really has one team that plays well all round which is Sarries. Exeter's forward power works well domestically, but struggles abroad...anything below the top 2 this year doesn't have a look in.
I think it is more a case of people don't give Pro14 enough respect. Your points are valid but I think Pro14 squads are developing serious depth for little wages

I think it is more a case of people don't give Pro14 enough respect. Your points are valid but I think Pro14 squads are developing serious depth for little wages

Possibly quite true. There are many average Premiership players who coast on by and know they will get a pretty decent wage for the sport regardless. English teams definitely seem to be lacking depth. Sarries have it, Exeter as well, though not in all areas. The rest of the premiership is completely up for grabs at the moment. Hell Wasps in third with 4 wins only have a points difference of 1. I also think that Ireland and Scotland especially, though Wales also to an extent, base their national teams around 1 or 2 clubs as a blue print, where as England take from everywhere regardless of how well teams are doing. Last year Harlequins came 10th and had 4 players in the summer tour squad and in every game at least 3 of them were on the bench or started. Now you can argue they are the best players, but if form counts for anything surely you pick from the clubs nearer the top. Newcastle finished 4th and had 1 player who made 3 sub appearances, one of which was the BaaBaa's.

I think my point is that central contract generally seem to be working in terms of national sides and that English rugby is club first, country second. Though this is very simplified. However the English game doesn't seem to be developing a particular style or plan that all players fit into, which is why the likes of Alex Goode struggle as the English setup isn't suited for his game. However if you look at Ireland, at the moment they come together very well regardless of which club they play for.

I cant find a reply of steeno getting charged down and taken out my a munster player from a pen? What happened and why wasnt it a pen or a card because in real time it looked bad.

Conversion, wasn't it?

Munster player jumped to block to ball and landed heavily on Steenson, clattered into his head/neck.

Referee said it was accidental because it was a legitimate charge down attempt but he definitely knew what he was doing, it was a "I'm just gonna punch the air and walk forward, if you get hit it's your own fault" situation

The collision was way after he kicked the ball, as well. If that had happened from a kick from hand, rather than the tee, it was a definite penalty, maybe more.

Latest posts