• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018/19 Heineken Cup] Round 1: Pool 2 (13&14/10/2018)

Some terrible decision making from Exeter in the second half - repeatedly going for the corner with a stuttering lineout was crazy in such a tight game.
I know they wanted to go over 7pts ahead but jeeze, keep the score board ticking

Better team lost. We were nery, POM not right. Exeter defence superb. Nowell is a class act at 15. Food for thought for England

Ground out a win there and I'm chuffed but 9/10 we would have lost that game playing that badly. Exeter threw it and our skills were appalling most of the day. Tadhg Beirne is a genuinely special player. Would have no doubt been screwed without him today. Not a vintage day for O'Mahony but he was visibly hurt for a good bit of it.

Ground out a win there and I'm chuffed but 9/10 we would have lost that game playing that badly. Exeter threw it and our skills were appalling most of the day. Tadhg Beirne is a genuinely special player. Would have no doubt been screwed without him today. Not a vintage day for O'Mahony but he was visibly hurt for a good bit of it.
Calling it here and now. O'Mahony was poor but tried and was injured. Murray was awful and a bit too cocky lately.
I thought our 2nd row were superb tonight and tight 5 as a unit superb. Backrow was poor as a unit. Botha did well when introduced. But for people who slate Billy Holland watch the last 2 games. He is a vital squad player.

****, that was a hard game to watch. If we can grind out a win playing like that, hopefully it bodes well for the quarter finals. Munster were nervy all game, made some really dumb panicked decisions, and weren't playing in the right areas of the pitch. But the defense held up really well and they were able to live with an Exeter side who were throwing everything against the wall.

They'll need to be better in the knock out stages, but that goes without saying. The break will do them a lot of good, so some of the top players can get themselves right again. There's a few people carrying knocks and other players who must be knackered after the last few weeks. Edinburgh away from home isn't the worst platform from which to attack the knock out stages of the tournament.

What did Joey Carbery do to **** off Conor Murray? I can see no other reason why he refused to pass him the ball today.

Munster were really, really poor. Tadhg Beirne being the notable exception.

What did Joey Carbery do to **** off Conor Murray? I can see no other reason why he refused to pass him the ball today.

Munster were really, really poor. Tadhg Beirne being the notable exception.
More Conor being wrong to all the backs.
Johann whipped him off and dressed him down too.

We were desperate agreed but Holland and Botha deserve credit too.

Edinburgh will beat Munster TBH.
I don't know won't be easy but we seem to now be developing better performances away.
Going to Murrayfield will not frighten us.
Cockers has done magical work up there but the pool wasn't strong that they were in.
However here is my clincher reason.

I think Ireland will fail to win 6 Nations and that will frighten the provinces in to big QF displays.

Like being honest Edinburgh in Murrayfield is probably the better than other 3 or even Ulster away.

We were desperate agreed but Holland and Botha deserve credit too.

Agreed. If Beirne wasn't the man of the match tonight, it should have been one of them, despite not being on the field in the first half. Holland has been awesome over the last couple of weeks. He just seems to bring such a cool head, and makes the right decisions out there. He's a great man to bring on in the closing minutes of a game to just keep things going the way they should be.

Botha was really good too. Put in a huge shift, but didn't lose the head like a lot of the others. He's had some mixed performances lately, but I thought he was really good tonight. Not sure if he was brought on because Tommy had a ****le, or if JVG just thought he was better suited to this game, but it was the right decision either way.

Yeah the service from Murray tonight was god awful. Rarely a player was able to take a ball running. Kicking was poor enough too and Nowell did well off loose kicks. Would still be confident for QFs but not if we play like that. We had a pretty tough pool and came out on top, but the squad talent demands so much more.

Yeah the service from Murray tonight was god awful. Rarely a player was able to take a ball running. Kicking was poor enough too and Nowell did well off loose kicks. Would still be confident for QFs but not if we play like that. We had a pretty tough pool and came out on top, but the squad talent demands so much more.
A tough pool we won by 7 points only loosing once.
We were very nervy and pressure was on us after last week. Murrayfield will be very different unless Leinster loose tomorrow and really throw spanner in the works.

@Hanley! Tommy did his shoulder just on mark of ht

Cockers has a very good record v Munster he knows what it will take to beat them.
That isn't a doubt. Just not an easy game for either and taking them out of their home is the big thing. More tickets means more fans for both making it more neutral than you'd think.

I would add our defense was very impressive again tonight also

That isn't a doubt. Just not an easy game for either and taking them out of their home is the big thing. More tickets means more fans for both making it more neutral than you'd think
You're right here. Edinburgh will be pretty happy if they get Munster from a financial viewpoint. Munster will bring a lot of travelling fans. I could see 40000+ in Murrayfield for the quarter final.

You're right here. Edinburgh will be pretty happy if they get Munster from a financial viewpoint. Munster will bring a lot of travelling fans. I could see 40000+ in Murrayfield for the quarter final.
Exactly and lets add in they were not great last time they called Murrayfield home. I cpuld see 8000 Munster fans travel.
Now I agree Cockers has done wonders but will the big pitch and big stadium be a factor.
We are used to it. Now next bit is how will 6 Nations effect both sides.

I do think Ireland will have poor 6 Nations. As in not winning it. May be a misfortune to loose a game to controversial decision or something. And that I think will be the fire to burn the bellys of provinces in QF and Ireland in RWC.

As much as i like the 'we dont kick penalties' this game didnt need it we were 1 point ahead for a long time, we needed to be some points om the board, it was never going to be a tryfest with 2 strong defences like this, to lose 9 - 7 when we had so many opportunities to kick pens is rediculous, i think they were told go for the bonus point to make sure incase they came back and got an LBP.

I personally enjoyed the game with a VPN in the UAE :) could tell both teams wanted it. Difference being Munster took the points on offer.

Exeter were excellent mostly, should have taken points with the line out being so **** breakdown was reffed pretty badly in my oppinion, From an Exeter perspective I can genuinly see why Baxter commented on his excitement for next years, Stuart Hog will be in their back line, I have a suspicion that might prove to be the plan B they are so far lacking from an attacking perspective, when their pack is physically matched, they might be slightly concerned about their scrum going backwards so frequently though.

Latest posts