• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018/19 Heineken Cup] Round : Pool (12&13/10/2018)

Remember back in the good old days when the Irish were the worst scrummagers in Europe?

Can we get those days back?

#BringBackJohnHayes

Good performance for Leinster, most encouraging thing was that there was probably another level or two we could have gone up if we needed too. Scrum was excellent which is great because it's been inconsistent this season. The second rows were both superb as usual. Conan really showed up and made a great case for being picked at 8 for now. Van der Flier on the other hand wasn't nearly at his best over those two games. Leavy looked much more comfortable at 6.

We get so used to masterclasses from Johnny but he was superb today. O'Loughlin had a really good game at 12. If he can do well over Christmas and hold onto the 12 shirt for the visit of Toulouse he might even have an outside chance of making the wider 6N squad. It's been a while since we had attackers the quality of Lowe and Larmour in our starting team and it's great to see. The spectre of Matt O'Connor has been banished. Delighted for Adam Byrne, the last 12 months couldn't have gone much worse for him and it's great to see him to get a chance and to play really well. You could see how much that try meant to him. I'd say he's reestablished himself as a valid option for Heineken Cup games.

Onwards and upwards, three wins over Christmas hopefully and then a massive game against Toulouse in January.

So with Sexton confirmed out looks like we also won't have Toner, Kearney and Henshaw.

This is really going to take a lot to get the result we need.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (31)
14. Adam Byrne (46)
13. Garry Ringrose (58)
12. Rory O'Loughlin (52)
11. Dave Kearney (128)
10. Ross Byrne (60)
9. Luke McGrath (105)
1. Cian Healy (200)
2. Sean Cronin (164)
3. Tadhg Furlong (94)
4. Scott Fardy (33)
5. James Ryan (24)
6. Rhys Ruddock (153) CAPTAIN
7. Josh van der Flier (69)
8. Jack Conan (83)

16. James Tracy (81)
17. Ed Byrne (34)
18. Andrew Porter (43)
19. Ross Molony (76)
20. Max Deegan (No 8)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (63)
22. Noel Reid (111)
23 . Conor O'Brien (10)

Down 5 guaranteed starters and Leavy too, no 15 cover and Larmour hasn't exactly been in inspired form from there this season. TLS definitely favourites.

Last edited:
Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (31)
14. Adam Byrne (46)
13. Garry Ringrose (58)
12. Rory O'Loughlin (52)
11. Dave Kearney (128)
10. Ross Byrne (60)
9. Luke McGrath (105)
1. Cian Healy (200)
2. Sean Cronin (164)
3. Tadhg Furlong (94)
4. Scott Fardy (33)
5. James Ryan (24)
6. Rhys Ruddock (153) CAPTAIN
7. Josh van der Flier (69)
8. Jack Conan (83)

16. James Tracy (81)
17. Ed Byrne (34)
18. Andrew Porter (43)
19. Ross Molony (76)
20. Max Deegan (No 8)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (63)
22. Noel Reid (111)
23 . Conor O'Brien (10)

Down 5 guaranteed starters and Leavy too, no 15 cover and Larmour hasn't exactly been in inspired form from there this season. TLS definitely favourites.

How do you not include Jack McGrath in your list of the missing?

How do you not include Jack McGrath in your list of the missing?
He was dropped rather than injured apparently.

Toulouse:

15. Maxime Médard
14. Cheslin Kolbe
13. Sofiane Guitoune
12. Romain Ntamack
11. Yoann Huget
10. Thomas Ramos
9. Antoine Dupont

1. Clément Castets
2. Julien Marchand (captain)
3. Charlie Faumuina
4. Richie Arnold
5. Joe Tekori
6. Francois Cros
7. Rynhardt Elstadt
8. Jerome Kaino.

Replacements:

16. Peato Mauvaka
17. Cyril Baille
18. Dorian Aldegheri
19. Piula Faasalele
20. Louis Madaule
21. Alban Placines
22. Sébastien Bézy
23. Zack Holmes.

So we're down:

Sexton
Kearney
Toner (I didn't he realise he could be injured)
Lowe
Henshaw

All starters and what's worse is that there's a decent chance most of them will be back next week. I wouldn't write us off yet though, we're outclassed in the backline (Ringrose, Larmour and Ross Byrne are the only guys who'd get near their team), but I'd say the reverse is true up front, and it's always been easier to win a game with the superior forwards than backs. Ringrose will have his hands VERY full though as the senior member of that backline.

Our bench is very light and it's a mostly second choice backline but most coaches would kill for that pack. At home I think we can pull it off but we'll have to be at the top of our game and we haven't been there this season. You'd hope this challenge would fire the team up though.

That Tolouse back three look set to run rampant over Leinster's honestly, even if Chelsin Kolbe is 4"3 and weighs 6 stone when he's wet and wearing boots. It's so steez. If I was a Leinster fan I'd be highkey stressing right now. For all their depth injuries to the cornerstones of their team can't be papered over, as is the case with any team. That said, their pack still looks hugely strong and I don't think there's any particular need for panic. They should be worried about the 4 point demolishing their A team took down in Thomond park this afternoon though.

That Tolouse back three look set to run rampant over Leinster's honestly, even if Chelsin Kolbe is 4"3 and weighs 6 stone when he's wet and wearing boots. It's so steez. If I was a Leinster fan I'd be highkey stressing right now. For all their depth injuries to the cornerstones of their team can't be papered over, as is the case with any team. That said, their pack still looks hugely strong and I don't think there's any particular need for panic. They should be worried about the 4 point demolishing their A team took down in Thomond park this afternoon though.
Low key dude, I think the three quarter line are the real danger.

I wonder if Byrne will wander over to Kolbes wing to dad-dick him in the air.

Low key dude, I think the three quarter line are the real danger.

I wonder if Byrne will wander over to Kolbes wing to dad-dick him in the air.
It's the only advantage we've got in the back three, I'd be shocked if we didn't use it especially given that Ross Byrne is at least as good as Sexton at cross kicking.

Latest posts