• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018/19 Heineken Cup] Round : Pool (12&13/10/2018)

Could have kept Mike Haley, Will Addison and signed a quality loosehead for that money.
Haley and Addison left for international rugby, nothing to do with money - as Muff says, we've (apparently) got way more €€€ than the IRFU so outbidding Munster and Ulster wouldn't be an issue.

the difference is England have 13 top flight clubs that stretch the resources and Ireland has 4.

If England had what 6 clubs we would dominate everything.
All privately funded. Ireland don't have that. And per populations thats not an excuse either.
Just poor management of resources and structures

Haley and Addison left for international rugby, nothing to do with money - as Muff says, we've (apparently) got way more €€€ than the IRFU so outbidding Munster and Ulster wouldn't be an issue.
100% can say Haley possibly took a cut of not remaining on parity coming here.
It's not all about money more how you structure and use it

Don't you live in that area?
West is best, and the best is blessed
IwUUzCl.gif

Per population means fek all.

Ireland is rubbish at every other sport that isn't made up, so less distractions.
Well they play GAA in UK and USA.

And believe it or not I think rugby is 5th on list in national sports here.
Plus to be fair England are shite too at every other sport. Don't think a World Cup run where beating the mighty Panama changes that lol.

Perhaps they should. What would a merged Northampton and Leicester team be called?
We've done this before haven't we? Let's just go Anglo-Saxon

Wessex (Bath, Exeter; Bristol, CPirates, Jersey) AKA Southern Ponces
West Mercia (Gloucester, Worcester, Wasps; Hartbury) AKA Brum Scum
East Mercia (Northampton, Leicester; Bedford, Nottingham) AKA Brother Lovers
Northumbria (Sale, Newcastle; Leedshire, Doncaster, Rotherham) AKA Northern Twats
London (Harlequins, Saracens, LIrish; Ealing, Richmond, LScottish) AKA Cockney Bastards

West Mercia should just be "Mercia" seeing as Lichfield and Tamworth were the two capitals (religious and main base) of Mercia. East Mercia can be the called "The Table Scraps"

Yes but difference is an English international may be on £400k at club and another top up too for England. Irish biys are on a wage and no top up unless bonuses like rest of world.
IRFU wage bill is lower than lowest 4 Premieeship clubs wage bills. That is fact.

And I'd argue that while they don't justvplay for the loyalty or love they do have ot as the can get much bigger contracts abroad eg Zebo but most stay.
A lad like an Andrew Conway or Devin Toner who would be on modest wages like €150k-€200k max could easily get at least double that abroad but wouldn't leave.

Did I image Sir sexton playing in France?

Did I image Sir sexton playing in France?
Yes he played there. Was a disaster in some senses and took a €200k paycut or something like it to come home. IRFU never over spent to get him home and it was more Sexton was happy to come home after a horrible 2 years.
Zebo, Donnacha Ryan and few others like Bowe can be on list of emigrated too.

Not sure what point on Sexton is by the way. Or is it you are backing up my original point on bigger deals abroad. Even more so for a guy like Zebo who tripled his wage.

Last edited:
Yes he played there. Was a disaster in some senses and took a €200k paycut or something like it to come home. IRFU never over spent to get him home and it was more Sexton was happy to come home after a horrible 2 years.
Zebo, Donnacha Ryan and few others like Bowe can be on list of emigrated too.

Not sure what point on Sexton is by the way. Or is it you are backing up my original point on bigger deals abroad. Even more so for a guy like Zebo who tripled his wage.

Was agreeing money is clearly a big factor, but to be fair you can't blame them playing career is relatively short in the grand scheme of things, just something that should probably be put off until towards the end of their career.

Regarding Ser Sextone of tart only playing 400 mins to Sir Farrel's 1200 Sexton was injured, but who's to say he would have played.
Why don't Ulster folk like the Royal Dublin society, should feel just like the"mainland".
Are there no non unionist types coming down?

Last edited:

Latest posts