• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 6Nations] Round 5 Wales V France (17/03/2018)

MikeTheNative

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Newport
Wales team:
Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Liam Williams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Justin Tipuric, Josh Navidi, Taulupe Faletau

Replacements: Elliot Dee, Nicky Smith, Samson Lee, Bradley Davies, Aaron Shingler, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, Steff Evans

France Team:
Benjamin Fall; Gael Fickou, Mathieu Bastareaud (capt), Geoffrey Doumayrou, Remy Grosso; Francois Trinh-Duc, Maxime Machenaud; Jefferson Poirot, Adrien Pelissie, Cedate Gomes Sa, Paul Gabrillagues, Sebastien Vahamaahina, Wenceslas Lauret, Yacouba Camara, Marc Tauleigne.

Replacements:
Camille Chat, Dany Priso, Rabah Slimani, Bernard Le Roux, Mathieu Babillot, Baptiste Couilloud, Lionel Beauxis, Geoffrey Palis.

I don't know why I'm shocked as it always happens with a Gatland/Howley team selection but seriously guys? No way Biggar deserves a start, Shignler has been Wales' best forward for me but is somehow dropped, Liam Williams had a terrible game last week and is given a start on the wing. No sign of Seb Davies or Watkins disappointingly, I also assume that Lee is not 100% fit as there is no explanation to starting Francis over him. I was feeling reasonably confident before this, not I'm not so sure. With that heavy weight French centre partnership you want to get the ball out wide and quickly to attack the outside shoulder. Biggar simply can't provide as good service as either Anscombe or Patchell, I expect a lot of up and unders and crossfield kicks till 60 mins when Ansocmbe comes on and Wales actually start to pass the ball then.

The Welsh thought they were growing... They thought Gatland was being progressive!

Ryan-Gosling-Laughing.gif

In all seriousness that's a depressing team in a few key areas for you, the modern game has passed Gats by. The Lions tour will be his last hurrah and even then a lot of credit must be passed on to Andy Farrell's D and Sexton's, who he originally didn't start when it's blindingly obvious he's the best 10 in the game, and Faz Jr's rugby IQ.

Wtf is going on with the 10 shirt in Wales?

Patchell has a poor performance, gets dropped and Biggar gets the start. Gatland then says he regrets playing Biggar, starts anscombe, only to then reinstate Biggar again after.
Show some faith in at least one player!

This whole Patchell/Patchell/Biggar/Anscombe/Biggar situation is so strange. What does Gats want?
Does he want to play tight arm wrestle rugby, with a strong kicking game, or does he want a wide attacking style?

Then the back 3, Evans/Adams lauded in week 1, now cast aside for Williams and North.

Shingler for me could have been Player of the Tournament, the fact Tipuric has shot ahead is just mind boggling.

The first two games wales aimed to play with width and tempo, granted it didn't really work against England but you could see how they wanted to play. In comes Biggar against Ireland and it was all up and unders and cross field kicks? When they did try to get width, Biggar's poor/slow service hindered the attack. He's brought a lot of success for Wales but we really need fresh ideas.

I share all of the confusion above but still think Wales have plenty enough to beat France here. But fans of neither side will be particularly happy I don't think.

Wales by 6 in a plodfest

Sigh. Why bench Shingler? Why is Tips at 6 and Navidi 7, when it's clear the other way round makes far more sense? Why is Biggar back at 10? Why is Liam Williams picked ahead of Evans or Amos when he's clearly struggling?

Same **** from Gatland!

Sigh. Why bench Shingler? Why is Tips at 6 and Navidi 7, when it's clear the other way round makes far more sense? Why is Biggar back at 10? Why is Liam Williams picked ahead of Evans or Amos when he's clearly struggling?

Same **** from Gatland!

I think Navidi and Tips will switch throughout, I wouldn't read into the shirt numbers too much. I quite like the backrow. Shingler will come on I am sure.

Biggar decision is a little bizzare... I think it was time to grow Patchell and Anscombe in this tournament. It's been a tough old 6N for Patchell, I think EJ got to him and he had a bad game and to make things worse he was then dropped. The Biggar-Parkes combo doesn't work for me. Both a little too direct, not enough ability on the playmaking / creativity front.

MEH....
Gats is playing it safe for the first half hes testing the waters to see if we can beat the french with half warrenball tactics , if it isnt working the creative players are coming on 2nd quarter to run in some scores.
Im not convinced by the tactics we seem to be in limbo in how we should play and approach every game and for consistency you have to be brave all this chopping and changing b******s does us no good. Under pressure Gatland will ALWAYS revert back to his tried and tested , Patchell being dropped for this is evidence of it.

for consistency you have to be brave all this chopping and changing b******s does us no good
This is key,
Wales looked far improved, on attack, recently - they can't let one game undo all the good work and revert back to the tried-and-tested-and-distinctly-average Warrenball tactics.
The staff need to show the courage to stick with the new gameplan and really give a good shot at it. Revert to warrenball if it all goes ***s up, don't start out dull as dishwater and then try and bring on the flair at the end.

This is key,
Wales looked far improved, on attack, recently - they can't let one game undo all the good work and revert back to the tried-and-tested-and-distinctly-average Warrenball tactics.
The staff need to show the courage to stick with the new gameplan and really give a good shot at it. Revert to warrenball if it all goes ***s up, don't start out dull as dishwater and then try and bring on the flair at the end.

Gatland fooled the whole of Wales into believing he was a changed man, all this bravado of the new way of playing is bull. Lets assess , He came into this tourney with nothing to lose , Wales weren't expected to beat Scotland in game one, Wales had a bad autumn (again) and the whole of Wales demanded changed so with the shackles off and forced by some injuries Gats brings in the in form creative players with nothing to lose. Then after we beat Scotland Gatland starts to think well maybe this is the way and we continue against England - We lose a Close game to England at TWICKERS (by no means a disaster ) and then immediately for the IRELAND game he goes back to biggar at 10 (just back from injury) and DROPS the inform creative 10 in patchell , This just shows the mentality of the man, he Isn't 100 per cent committed to this new style its more a half arsed effort when there is no pressure on Wales to win. As soon as there is a must win game hes back to his old ways as evidenced by this starting team against France and frustratingly the inform 10 In WALES once again pays the price of being dropped! Gatland will NEVER change hes the mourinho of the rugby world , he doesn't really embrace creativity he just puts up with it, he likes a controlled game that has zero risk involved and that really is his nature. The only good thing that has come from this is a we have given international experience to young talent that may not have previously had the chance.

- Shingler is clearly intented to be used as an "impact player"

- I hope Scarlets prove Gatland wrong

Can't see the Union charade getting an away win they are lacking in so many areas. Guirado absence is a loss in a team bereft of leaders. Selection reads like a France B with many 2nd or 3rd picks - Fall Doumayrou Pelissie Gomes Leroux mediocrity reigns - Fickou out of position etc. We know who the xfactor players are and they ain't playing for the union... 5th place sounds just right for the Brunel brigade.

Last edited:
I assume the roof will be closed for this? Weather prediction is not too good for South Wales.

Rumour has it Francis declared for Wales because Yorkshire disowned him when they saw the state of that mullet

Latest posts