• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Champions Cup] Quarter Final : Leinster v Saracens (01/04/2018)

Muffin you may be right on facts. But clubs (and fans) here have a different perception and may not bother if feel they're getting done by officials.
But the thing is nobody is getting done and there is no evidence of that. Toulon didn't loose to us because of referee. And well if that is the view then I'd question more the attitude. They lost it because the could not break through with all the possession

Muffin you may be right on facts. But clubs (and fans) here have a different perception and may not bother if feel they're getting done by officials.

Do referees give home teams most of the decisions? Yes of course they do especially the British and Irish refs. The French refs are the best in my opinion because they're not too influenced by the crowd.

Did Munster get the majority of decisions against Toulon? Yes. The Zebo one at the start was a clear penalty. However Toulon were camped in the Munster 22 for a while after that and couldn't score so it might not have mattered much. Owens' biggest mistake of the match was stopping Munster from scoring a try after he thought the ball went forward but it went back. That looked like a certain 7 pointer. He actually made a similar mistake a few years back when Munster were playing either Toulon or Clermon away in a semi final. Munster were attacking with the last play of the game with a one or two man advantage out wide and a try looked certain but Owens called a pass back for a forward pass even though replays showed it didn't go forward. He also gave a soft penalty against Ireland late on in the 2013 game against NZ which resulted in Ireland losing from an injury time NZ try. He gave another late scrum penalty against Ireland in a tight game against NZ in NZ which people were livid about.

If I was a Toulon fan I would be upset with them not knowing the rules and making mistakes. The Murray try was a gift and the Conway try could also have been prevented.

That attitude is probably why players like Vahaamahina are tolerated in France. With a Gallic shrug of the shoulders "its not my fault its the biased referees". Its self indulgence of the highest order.

Owens favoured the home team. Thats what he does. He favoured France when they played Ireland in Paris and if he happened to be reffing in Marcel Michelin over the weekend he'd have screwed Racing over. There's no hidden agenda here.

That attitude is probably why players like Vahaamahina are tolerated in France. With a Gallic shrug of the shoulders "its not my fault its the biased referees". Its self indulgence of the highest order.

Owens favoured the home team. Thats what he does. He favoured France when they played Ireland in Paris and if he happened to be reffing in Marcel Michelin over the weekend he'd have screwed Racing over. There's no hidden agenda here.

Ah yes that's why he is one of the top players at Clermont - in fact he was their best forward last season when they won the ***le. He under performs when playing for the union but then so does everyone else. ****-poor coaching and playing for the dysfunctional union charade.

Owens doesnt like us. He never did. He's living off his reputation as an ex great ref.
You're not going to change the clubs and fans perception easily. Easier to get refs who are better at what they do.

Last edited:
Owens doesnt like us. He never did..

Well he sure didn't want to blow the whistle for any late French infringements in the build up to Sexton's drop goal in the Six Nations. When France were the home side.

That game featured another dodgy performance from Owens, but it was in no way biased against the French.

Hmm. Well we have lived with them in the past and we are currently living with them and it wouldn't be an upset if we beat them tbh
It absolutely would be an upset, if not a hugely unlikely one. Leinster are the home team and the best team left in the competition. Doubt Scarlets will fear it, but I'd still be surprised if they managed it.

It absolutely would be an upset, if not a hugely unlikely one. Leinster are the home team and the best team left in the competition. Doubt Scarlets will fear it, but I'd still be surprised if they managed it.
I'll applaud them if they do but seriously can't see them being within 10 points. Yes they are flying it in Pro14 and as was said have lived with them in past but European Rugby is a very different beast

Leinster are 13 point favourites with the bookies. That home loss to the Scarlets was the only home loss under Lancaster and Leo's first since 2015. The focus and strength this Leinster team has reminds me of 2012, I really don't see us not playing in Bilbao, especially after the lessons learned last year.

Well Leinster and Munster fans think they are already going to Bilbao. Ryanair putting on extra flights from Dublin to Santander!
Irish arrogance personified! I certainly see a spanner being thrown in the works in at least one those fixtures
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....nair-add-extra-flights-champions-14496705.amp

Every year fans from various clubs buy flights for the Champions Cup final months in advance. For example at the 2012 Heineken Cup final between Leinster and Northampton there were a group of Clermont fans sitting behind me.

Also this is simple economics especially knowing Ryanair. If either Irish teams qualify for the final you are guaranteed that our beloved Ryanair will hike the prices up to astronomical levels. Common sense is at play here. Worst case scenario a lot of disappointed Irish fans will have a nice weekend away in Bilbao from the appalling Irish weather.

Last edited:
Well Leinster and Munster fans think they are already going to Bilbao. Ryanair putting on extra flights from Dublin to Santander!
Irish arrogance personified! I certainly see a spanner being thrown in the works in at least one those fixtures
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....nair-add-extra-flights-champions-14496705.amp
Just to add in Munster fans mainly travel from Shannon or Cork. But regardless of who's in final alot of provincial fans go every year

Screenshot_20180407-094204.png

I could see an upset in Bordeaux...

The bookies do have Leinster to do the double at 17/10 while the Scarlets to win Europe is 10/1 to put that game in perspective.

Latest posts