• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2018 NatWest 6 Nations - Round 1 Wales Vs Scotland

A lot of the Wales players had a good game on Saturday. But hopefully people will finally see playing an expansive game will only work when you have a 10 like Patchell that is able to attack the gain line and give good service. It wasn't a faultless performance but a very good one full of confidence since it was his first start at 10. It was interesting to see Wales keep all kicks in play and trust the defence, It was bold move but it paid off. Instead of rushing up as fast as possible they were careful and waited for Scotland to make there move, I think that's one of the quietest games I've seen Hogg have. I've seen a lot of criticism aimed at Chris Harris and he did have a poor game but there's not much you can do when your 9 and 10 are having absolute mares. There was a number of times he was given a flat ball straight into 2 Wales defenders who smashed him, Scotland were in Wales' 22 when Price fires a ball straight at his head and Harris knocks it on. As others have said Scotland's defence has never been good but they were able to score tries, yesterday with no other option at 10 they had to leave a guy on who seemed to have 'one of those games'.

Besides having a weak front row (McInally apart) I think 8 is also problem position for Scotland. du Preez was sent packing by Cotter who claimed he wasn't ready for the step up to international rugby and that showed again on Saturday. Would welcome Josh Strauss back assuming he's fit and in reasonable form. Watson isn't the biggest 7 and so we need a bit more muscle at 8 to compensate. Denton is also an option.

Also think Scotland have mental strength issues. They just seem to capitulate too easily when faced with adversity. Eddie Jones successfully addressed this with England after taking over from Lancaster.

I'm not entirely sure injuries can be the cause. Scotland's defence has always been poor and it was only slightly worse vs Wales. What I thought was much worse was their attacking play and for me it was the 9 and 10 who were largely responsible for that failing, both touted as Scotland starters. It's like when England played Scotland and injuries were used as the reason yet most of the English tries were from running at the Scottish midfield, who were both 1st team starters.

I won't deny Scotland have injury problems that are hampering the team but it seems Scotland are using it as an excuse to avoid addressing actual weaknesses in the team.
A 9 and 10 can only do so much when the pack is weakened by 6 front row injuries and the centres are weakened by 3. Give Price and Russell the platform and backline Patchell and Davies or Ford and Care had and they improve both those teams, they're comfortably the second best pair of halfbacks in this tournament in my opinion. The two were bad on Saturday which does need to be addressed because they can only play with what they're given and they have to show more maturity when behind but halfbacks build that up over years together.

I don't like Scotland really and don't want to see them do well in the next few years but to say that the fashion of that defeat wasn't mainly down to an injury crises and lack of depth is wrong, as would be using that as an excuse to say that performance was acceptable because it was far from it regardless.

I'm not entirely sure injuries can be the cause. Scotland's defence has always been poor and it was only slightly worse vs Wales. What I thought was much worse was their attacking play and for me it was the 9 and 10 who were largely responsible for that failing, both touted as Scotland starters. It's like when England played Scotland and injuries were used as the reason yet most of the English tries were from running at the Scottish midfield, who were both 1st team starters.

I won't deny Scotland have injury problems that are hampering the team but it seems Scotland are using it as an excuse to avoid addressing actual weaknesses in the team.
A 9 and 10 can only do so much when the pack is weakened by 6 front row injuries and the centres are weakened by 3. Give Price and Russell the platform and backline Patchell and Davies or Ford and Care had and they improve both those teams, they're comfortably the second best pair of halfbacks in this tournament in my opinion. The two were bad on Saturday which does need to be addressed because they can only play with what they're given and they have to show more maturity when behind but halfbacks build that up over years together.

I don't like Scotland really and don't want to see them do well in the next few years but to say that the fashion of that defeat wasn't mainly down to an injury crises and lack of depth is wrong, as would be using that as an excuse to say that performance was acceptable because it was far from it regardless.

I said I accept injuries play a part but injuries don't cause players to just blindly throw the ball without looking. As the first team starters it is their job to steady the team, not be the most erratic in it. It's not like there isn't history either, Russell has now repeatedly lost his head and started making woeful decisions across a variety of games for club our country, far more than any of the other top NH 10s.

Thanks, Wales. With your win the Springboks move up 1 in the world rankings. Life without Coetzee is looking good and it hasn't even been a week!

Will have to watch this one on catch up. I can hardly believe the numbers though.

Latest posts