• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England v South Africa (3/10/18)

Still photos can prove what you want
The safa stepped inside
Farrell would've wanted to hit with his left shoulder then wrap his arms and not put his head on the wrong side missed timed yes dangerous for Farrell yes penalty no

Can we have an al blacks thread please the score was 12 11 move on

agreed
this is all getting pretty boring and petty... i don't think anyone is going to change their mind on this yet we keep going

agreed
this is all getting pretty boring and petty... i don't think anyone is going to change their mind on this yet we keep going
You'd rather watch a bunch of England fans cower in fear as we anticipate a good pasting. Whilst NZ fans will act all humble and tell us we are not due a good pasting. Then when by some miracle we don't get a good pasting the ABs act all incredulous that we didn't get a good pasting and how the ref was biased.

I've been on this merry go round for a good 20+ years now.

You'd rather watch a bunch of England fans cower in fear as we anticipate a good pasting. Whilst NZ fans will act all humble and tell us we are not due a good pasting. Then when by some miracle we don't get a good pasting the ABs act all incredulous that we didn't get a good pasting and how the ref was biased.

I've been on this merry go round for a good 20+ years now.

oh gawd a kiwi match thread... i'll just pretend it doesn't exist

I can't wait for the Ireland v NZ thread. I'm guessing there'll be at least three mod warnings, one ban and a locked thread by the Wednesday after.
I mean you guys have an on paper chance of winning so sounds legit......(psst don't tell the ABs fans that ;))

As a point of context here around the laws designed to, take care of player safety, then why is it that a ball carrier, as in this instance (Esterhuizen) can lead with his shoulder, and a tackler cannot? In my opinion, both players lead with shoulders forward, and both came out a little tinged. Fair contest might be the view of many neutrals. To the letter of the law, it looked a pen to me. Dangerous by Farrell.

I've seen loads of instances where a would be tackler has simply gone in too high to a big player, and been knocked back on his arse, indeed out cold, coming into contact with the ball carriers leading shoulder. The ball carrier has never been penalized, to my knowledge.

Still thought it was a pen, but to suggest laws can stop players getting hurt in a game of rugby is rich at times.

Apologies for my previous comment suggesting Esterhuizen a forward. He'd be a forward in my team at nearly 2 meters and 220 lbs. he still outgunned Farrell, who stopped him in his tracks. Great collision. One of the best you will see. And legal apparently. Everyone will be at it now.

Last edited:
where is the England ABs pre match thread then? We too scared to start one off?

England start like they did satdee, they'll get flummoxed.

Honestly, anyone giving England a prayer?

re you aware that literally nobody who advocates Ford>Farrell agrees that Faz has the better game-management. Quite honestly, very, very few non-Saracens fans think that part, let alone Ford fans.
Equally, no-one argues that Ford is more physical than Farrell, though plenty point out that he's far more reliable in the tackle, and from there you pays your money and you take your choice.

What Ford is likely to have done in that specific game against South Africa, would be to not panic in the first half, to deliver the occasional pass that isn't a pull back to someone stood 5m behind the gainline, and even once in a while, to deliver the ball to where the recipient would be at the time the ball arrived rather than where they were at the release of the ball.

We may have given away ground a little more easily (thank gods we managed to dominate territory in that first half then), but with fewer SA line-outs, and we'd probably have scored more points...

Ford would have been steam rolled over the line or just left on the deck, dude u need to face the facts Ford is living off past performances more often than not Leicester's back line looks pedestrian, Faz for years has been accused of the very same thing and yet at club level sarries have been a dominate force in recent years, I know they have a hell of a lot of talent but 10 is a fairly pivitol position, u surely can't say Faz hasn't played his part, is it coincidence that Faz went on the lions tour and Ford didn't granted he has more versatility but is that the sole reason?

Disappointing to read this from a SH poster. Especially a kiwi. We see these types of tackles all the time at all levels and the refs rightfully let it go. It even pops up on 'Smashed Em Bro'.

disappointing to read a lot of ur posts as a kiwi mate, you're disgenuous and arrogant

You cam tell he's hitting above the shoulder, by the way you can see Ester's shoulder (that's the bit in green) above Faz's shoulder (that's the bit in white).

The fact the that bit in green is higher than the bit in white is definitive proof that the bit in white is higher than the bit in green.

IT WAS NOT A HIGH TACKLE.

It was, however, a shoulder charge. I'd have given a penalty, but we've all seen them carded, and we've all seen them allowed to play on.

alright i dont mind admitting it might be fine not to rule it as high, but my first reaction in real time was, that's a high shoulder charge

but defo a shoulder charge

the guy that calls himself All Black in here is the sorta guy who thinks SBW's shoulder charge in the Lions series was fine because "we're not playing tiddlywinks"...

An English club literally asked for a game to be replayed because it was blown up 20 seconds early last month.

I know, I support said club. Although it was less the club and more Bruce Craig being himself (ie a ***).

Ford would have been steam rolled over the line or just left on the deck, dude u need to face the facts Ford is living off past performances more often than not Leicester's back line looks pedestrian, Faz for years has been accused of the very same thing and yet at club level sarries have been a dominate force in recent years, I know they have a hell of a lot of talent but 10 is a fairly pivitol position, u surely can't say Faz hasn't played his part, is it coincidence that Faz went on the lions tour and Ford didn't granted he has more versatility but is that the sole reason?

Being a 10 for Sarries is very different to being a 10 for Tigers (or Bath). Sarries have the most complete set of forwards in the prem and have had it for a while. A good team makes all the players better than the sum of their parts. Put Ford at 10 for Sarries and I wouldn't be surprised if he surpassed Farrell. On the flip side send Farrell to Bath or Leicester and I'm pretty sure he'd look dead average.

Last edited:
Can we have an al blacks thread please the score was 12 11 move on

Meh, it always takes a good 48 hours for fans to find their second eye and calm down a bit (except some NZ fans of course who still go on about Barnes, and how Kev is a good Christian and would never do something like that)

alright i dont mind admitting it might be fine not to rule it as high, but my first reaction in real time was, that's a high shoulder charge

but defo a shoulder charge

the guy that calls himself All Black in here is the sorta guy who thinks SBW's shoulder charge in the Lions series was fine because "we're not playing tiddlywinks"...
Yup, shoulder charge and penalty; just not a high one or red card offence

That was NOT a shoulder charge. That was a really good, fair tackle but the collision made people get up in arms. The game is becoming a farce with these kind of discussions. It was a big collision, thats it.
When doing a shoulder charge, you tuck your forearm and elbow and use that as kind of a push. Farrell's arm was out.
Just a big tackle.

That was NOT a shoulder charge. That was a really good, fair tackle but the collision made people get up in arms. The game is becoming a farce with these kind of discussions. It was a big collision, thats it.
When doing a shoulder charge, you tuck your forearm and elbow and use that as kind of a push. Farrell's arm was out.
Just a big tackle.
It's something we praise defenders for. It's what we look forward to on 'Smashed Em Bro' or rugbys top 10. Its now slowly being ousted. Farrell smashed em bro.

if faf was there the English would have lost.
love to see the bocks brutalising their opponents. the line out was a mess.
but great foward dominance by the bocks
1st halve was big. a few costly mistakes made it for the English. who deserve credit for the carácter and never giving up.
the game was played as the english wanted slowish boring. the NH Style prevailed. credit to the English 3rd rowers for slowing it down. de clerk absence was huge in terms of bocks slow pace through the match

Latest posts