• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England v South Africa (3/10/18)

Don't know if anyone listens to the Blood & Mud podcast (its pretty good, so if you haven't give it a try) but they just made a comparison that caused me to spit out my cornflakes as I belly laughed.

When discussing the ref, TMO and linesman who (in my opinion) bottled the decision to award SA a penalty because of the Lil' Faz shoulder... the host compared them to the Manitowoc county judicial office when choosing to ignore any evidence that exonerates Steven Avery.

Brian O'Driscoll that is still *****ing about the tackle on him 10 years ago.
Lol, no he isn't. He hasn't mentioned that tackle since his autobiography, and probably 2006 before that!

FWIW, I think Rassie was dead right in saying what he said. It's a way to hold refs culpable for their mistakes without getting fined or banned by WR for attacking them, Schmidt does it in his own way all the time even when Ireland win.

And yeah, all teams get terrible calls against them, and all fans only really remember their own. Ask Irish fans what they think of Barnes, Kaplan and Peyper, you won't get many positive replies.

They can change stuff by dwelling on the previous game, i want them to learn from their previous matches. That's what the analysts are there for.
Dwell on stuff you can change for sure like getting Marx to hit his man. Refs sometimes making the wrong call there really isn't much you can do about it.
Nah, it took them less than 3 minutes to have a laugh with that video. I'm pretty sure that video is more than enough to have a bit of fun with it and have the guys in a more positive mood for the upcoming match.
But regardless i'm sure the 5 mins they spent recording that video would not have hampered their prep for France.
Sure recording the video took no time but how much time was spent talking and thinking about it? First there's the time spent complaining about the decision, then there's the time spent where the talk mophs to doing the video back and forth on that. Finally you get the actual filming. It implies a team spending way too much time on something they can't prevent from happening.

Unless you think they spontaneously decided to do it two days after the match.....your probably kidding yourselves.

Dwell on stuff you can change for sure like getting Marx to hit his man. Refs sometimes making the wrong call there really isn't much you can do about it.Sure recording the video took no time but how much time was spent talking and thinking about it? First there's the time spent complaining about the decision, then there's the time spent where the talk mophs to doing the video back and forth on that. Finally you get the actual filming. It implies a team spending way too much time on something they can't prevent from happening.

Unless you think they spontaneously decided to do it two days after the match.....your probably kidding yourselves.

Even though i think they are lying they have officially denied shooting the video.

"The Boks, meanwhile, say they do not know where the video of Erasmus, Esterhuizen and Nienaber came from.

Sport24 spoke to a Bok spokesperson on Tuesday who insisted that the footage was not filmed by any representative of the team.

The shot in question was filmed at the end of Monday's training session at the French Olympic High Performance Centre in Paris, meaning that the session had been closed to media. "
https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Spr...onds-to-rassie-video-with-no-comment-20181106

Even though i think they are lying they have officially denied shooting the video.
Like you I don't think thats true, probably getting away with it by saying no representative of the team and its actually been filmed by Esterhuizen's wife/girlfriend.

If true however does that suggest they quite stupidly are practicing tackling like that. Which no sane person would do, fine if you get a Farrell like hit and getting away with it. But your not a billion miles away from it all going wrong and doing a SBW the next thing you know your off the pitch.

"The Boks, meanwhile, say they do not know where the video of Erasmus, Esterhuizen and Nienaber came from.

Sport24 spoke to a Bok spokesperson on Tuesday who insisted that the footage was not filmed by any representative of the team.

The shot in question was filmed at the end of Monday's training session at the French Olympic High Performance Centre in Paris, meaning that the session had been closed to media. "
https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Spr...onds-to-rassie-video-with-no-comment-20181106

Their just covering their a$$e$... there is not a doubt in my mind that that 'scene' was a constructed one. You can tell by the 'performances'. I have no problem with that either, it just shows that Rassie etc. have a keen understanding of how to play with the public consciousness using social media. More power to them.

Come on where's the sense of humour? It's just a joke and I think it's funny response from the team, they could have publicly spat their dummies out and whinged but it was very composed post match interview and this. Which shows they see the funny side of it.

Last edited:
Come on where's the sense of humour? It's just a joke and I think it's funny response from the team, they could have publicly spat their dummies out and whinged but it was very composed post match interview and this. Which shows they see the funny side of it.

Absolutely. I laughed out loud when I saw it. Epic trolling. The only improvement I'd have made is to have Esterhuizen fly over the top of the bag and lie on the floor "pretending" to be hurt after the contact with Rassie shouting play on prompting a Lazarus like recovery....

Lol the joke I made up has been remixed and is doing the rounds on Facebook. Popped up like 4 times on one SA Rugby article. Hey lurkers, come join the fun on here!

Attachments

• IMG_20181106_214920.jpg
    IMG_20181106_214920.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20181106_215037.jpg
    IMG_20181106_215037.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Agreed. And Rassie will have got huge kudos from his squad for doing it. Smart.

Surely WR will issue a statement on the tackle and whether they believe their man got it right?

It'd take guts, but at least they would be respected if they said the ref got it wrong, but they will be issuing additional guidance to refs for future matches.

Surely WR will issue a statement on the tackle and whether they believe their man got it right?

It'd take guts, but at least they would be respected if they said the ref got it wrong, but they will be issuing additional guidance to refs for future matches.
See Garces at the world cup the complete opposite happened when they chucked a ref under the bus. They were pretty much vilified for it.

The closest to public admonishment you'll get is similar Steve Walsh in 2011 and scrums. Further guidance for similar incident will be published. Probably about a month before the 6 nations.

And that's the way it has to work if WR contradicted calls as often as they happen it wouldnt increase ref accuracy. They'd be **** scared of making a decision and reviews would last even longer with hedging bets being used in language to get a consensus decision. No ref would stick their neck out.

It would also create a problem in tournaments which is why Garces incident comes up. Fans of the nation screwed get horrible and the entire tournament legitimatcy comes into question.

I know it's not a perfect system but there is a reason why it exists this way. But dont kid yourselves privately if WR thinks the wrong decision was made Garner will be told and explained why.

So for the second time in as many years a reffing decision that favoured England in a non-WC game becomes something the WR pointlessly steps in to claim the ref got it wrong...? Yeah like that wouldn't just reinforce what I've been saying at all. I think WR stepping in to criticise that when there was an even worse tackle on Kruis would make the whole thing a complete farce.

Wales whinged to the WR about their try yet in the previous 3 years prior to that England had either had legitimate tries disallowed or Wales got away with an illegal try, but of course we didn't go whinging to WR about it.

And that's the way it has to work if WR contradicted calls as often as they happen it wouldnt increase ref accuracy. They'd be **** scared of making a decision and reviews would last even longer with hedging bets being used in language to get a consensus decision. No ref would stick their neck out.

But this right here is the problem, especially with this tackle. Gardner was afraid to make the call when it happened. He then went to the TMO, watched the replays and then made the call. I'm just wondering if Gardner got the memo in the beginning of the year from WR and their zero-tolerance approach to high/dangerous tackles?

I mean, if we as the general public are aware of these rules, and that WR is even looking into lowering the tackle height to the "nipple-line" then why are the referees not doing their job properly. And in this case the AR and TMO as well.

Can you really blame the coach for doing what he did after the game and showing what a shambles this was?

What about the clear red card in the build up to the try?
If that was penalised then the last penalty wouldn't even be an issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or is it only an issue when England get a marginal call their way?

What about the clear red card in the build up to the try?
If that was penalised then the last penalty wouldn't even be an issue ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or is it only an issue when England get a marginal call their way?

And that wasn't even reveiwed. Just shows what a bad game Gardner had with the whistle. Consistently inconsistent...

Latest posts