• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs Australia (24/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

dEc1PIg.png
j7lEIMe.png
SxGOCQa.png

Venue: Twickenham
Time: 17:00 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Care, Loz, and Mercer out of the training squad, with Francis, Tuilagi and Hughes coming back in.

'Whatever' on Francis and Loz, fair play to Wigglesworth on taking his opportunity and ousting Care (however temporarily), and Tuilagi is obviously always going to get a look in if fit...

But why Hughes? Comfortably the least effective 8 we've deployed this year.

This is a game that will interest me two good sides, be down to the wire again me thinks.
Aus are not a good side....

Need to win this one comfortably back (by that I mean winning both halves and never really looking under threat to lose after the opening 20) to starting teamish for the 6 nations (because the first game is in bloody Dublin) which should be Ford/Farrell but won't be.

Mainly to show progress this AI its been fairly successful for us. SA & NZ were exactly the games they should be. Nobody really stuck their hand up except Wigglesworth V Japan and we can discount that as too experiemental abut possibly good enough for Tonga and USA to give some first choice players more warm up time during the RWC.

Manage it and I'll more happy with the state of England than I was before the AI's started.

Need to win this one comfortably back (by that I mean winning both halves and never really looking under threat to lose after the opening 20) to starting teamish for the 6 nations (because the first game is in bloody Dublin) which should be Ford/Farrell but won't be.

Mainly to show progress this AI its been fairly successful for us. SA & NZ were exactly the games they should be. Nobody really stuck their hand up except Wigglesworth V Japan and we can discount that as too experiemental abut possibly good enough for Tonga and USA to give some first choice players more warm up time during the RWC.

Manage it and I'll more happy with the state of England than I was before the AI's started.
Cant see Farrell and Slade starting against Bundy and henshaw

you ok

Not surprised Mercer has been dropped to be honest. Still not convinced.

Loz is surprising, hes better than Francis.

Care im so glad to see the back of. Youngs and Wigglesworth offer control. If you want a broken play expert, get Dan Robson in.

They just lost to Wales! They lost to Argentina!

Their only 'good' result this year was a home win against SA. We are at home we should absolutely be thinking win only for this game.

If we don't beat Aus well it will be a step back.

An 80 minute performance would be particularly nice.

As far as the 6N goes, we've got Binny, Mako, Genge, Launch, Curry, JJ and Watson all to come back at various times. That's a lot of firepower with the experience of Brown, Cole and Robshaw possibly also around to call on if needs be, not to mention the likes of Morgan and Robson. AIs have been a useful test of strength in depth, but not helped much in starting XV continuity.

Standout for me so far is that Underhill must start, don't really care which shirt - 6.5 is fine if you hit like he does. Blooding of Mercer and JC4 also positive. Wilson's exceeded expectations.

Less thrilled by scrum half situation. Midfield remains a mess although I'm pretty sure Jones is clear on his preferred line up, whether it will ever be available to select is another matter.

As far as the 6N goes, we've got Binny, Mako, Genge, Launch, Curry, JJ and Watson all to come back at various times. That's a lot of firepower with the experience of Brown, Cole and Robshaw possibly also around to call on if needs be, not to mention the likes of Morgan and Robson. AIs have been a useful test of strength in depth, but not helped much in starting XV continuity.

Standout for me so far is that Underhill must start, don't really care which shirt - 6.5 is fine if you hit like he does. Blooding of Mercer and JC4 also positive. Wilson's exceeded expectations.

Less thrilled by scrum half situation. Midfield remains a mess although I'm pretty sure Jones is clear on his preferred line up, whether it will ever be available to select is another matter.
That preffered midfield being? Manu JJ, Teo JJ, Farrell JJ, Farrell Teo, Farrell Manu?

Their only 'good' result this year was a home win against SA. We are at home we should absolutely be thinking win only for this game.

Not to mention SA gifted them a try when Bongi overthrew a line out in front of the Boks posts only for it to be intercepted by I think it was Coleman to score under the posts - so in effect a free 7 pointer.

That preffered midfield being? Manu JJ, Teo JJ, Farrell JJ, Farrell Teo, Farrell Manu?

Marcus Smith, Farell, Marchant :)

I think it's 10 Faz, 12 Manu, 13 JJ.

I would expect and put money on EJ to select the below team for this weekend.
Except the three shown in bold, not quite sure there. But then again this is Eddie, and he does have a record of picking a curveball or two.

1. Moon
2. Hartley
3. Sinckler
4. Lawes
5. Itoje
6. Shields
7. Underhill
8. Wilson
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. May
12. T'eo
13. Slade
14. Ashton? (Nowell)
15. Daly

16. George
17. Hepburn
18. Williams
19. Ewels? (Stooke/Hill)
20. Hughes
21. Wigglesworth
22. Ford
23. Tuilagi? (Nowell)

I'm not keen on Slade at 13, he is still failing to really stand out in the games and his defence at times is shockingly bad. I would not feel comfortable with any Aussies running down his channel. People have a go at Ford but at least he tends to complete the tackle, Slade just outright misses nearly half the time.

They beat Ireland too.

I would expect and put money on EJ to select the below team for this weekend.
Except the three shown in bold, not quite sure there. But then again this is Eddie, and he does have a record of picking a curveball or two.

1. Moon
2. Hartley
3. Sinckler
4. Lawes
5. Itoje
6. Shields
7. Underhill
8. Wilson
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. May
12. T'eo
13. Slade
14. Ashton? (Nowell)
15. Daly

16. George
17. Hepburn
18. Williams
19. Ewels? (Stooke/Hill)
20. Hughes
21. Wigglesworth
22. Ford
23. Tuilagi? (Nowell)

Keep Ewels as no point wasting caps on more stooke when we have launchbury,kruis ti come back we have enough depth. Getting ewels up to the level is the best option IMO.

Would like to see big Joe get another start in place of ashton. Just want to see what he can do against a decent opponent. If he has a chance at being on centention for the RWC then he needs game time now. He is very big very quick and has good hands. Work ons are his defence but not sure how good/bad it is.

Hughes straight back in to the 23 obv as EJ loves him like a son.

But all in all i agree with ypur team. And it should be enough to put down these Aussies. If we actually get fired up like for SA. NZ.

looking forward to going to Twickers on Saturday. i'm expecting an England win. Australia have been poor all year. to put down a marker England should be looking to win by 15-20 points but I think it will be closer than that. England by 10.

Australia might not be a good side and they're certainly poorly coached, however I'd be loath to write them off, not least because they're Australia. Careers are on the line for them so they will be hugely up for this game and England will need to be significantly better than they were against Japan...which one would assume they will be.

On the other hand, we are the only team to beat Ireland this year.

But i largely agree, we are garbage.

England by 20+ for sure.

Latest posts