• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs Australia (24/11/18)

We played better with Farrell at 10 than with Ford at 10 recently. Ford is much more creative but he's half a rugby player, if he goes into contact he turns the ball over and he alwsys gives yards in defence. Players have to cover and it makes our defensive line further stretched than it already is.

Great going forwards but just too small, if only he'd gone to the same buffet as Jamie George.

Ford is definitely not our best 10, Tigers last season looked better when he was absent with Toomua at 10, Ford is living off past success, he probably has higher potential but I think his lack of domestic success in recent season may have knocked his confifdence, he doesn't seem the player he was, as I have said ample times if you want a real attacking fly half Cips is simply better than Ford, his antics aside.
The issue with Cipriani is his ego steps on Farrell's Alpha male status, and as he is undroppable, Cipriani is unselectable. Ford will do what Farrell wants.

Interesting points it's nice to have a crash ball option or two or a play maker option having both in the locker really keeps oppersition guessing and makes it hard to build a combative defence around.
Agree, there needs to be a midfield back for crash ball, it takes pressure of the forwards. The ABs had Umaga, then Nonu and lately SBW as this option, with a 2nd playmaker at centre helping get width and bringing in the strike runners from back 3.

Watching Tigers v Sarries, let's all forget The competition for England, Farrell has his hands full when he returns. Malins looks the real deal.

He's actually not even okay, he's a liability and shouldn't be in the squad. If you watch him throughout the match what does he actually do? He can't run, he can't pivot, he can't jink or step he's not even that fast. He's strong and fearless and passionate and no one can doubt his dedication.. And he's probably the best kicker of penalties and conversions in the world. However he's hot headed, eco-centric, tends towards thoughtless red mist and worst of all, at the positions he plays in nobody outside him gets a look in because he kicks the ball away all the time.
Stick with this guy and there will be no progress.
So the best you can say for him is that he's environmentally friendly?! ;)
His running game is improving actually, he created the try for Daly with exactly that and a good offload in the tackle.

So the best you can say for him is that he's environmentally friendly?! ;)
His running game is improving actually, he created the try for Daly with exactly that and a good offload in the tackle.
I think the big difference is Farrell can either be great in attack or indifferent, where as Cips for example, you know he will create something no matter what. However Faz is reliable and he, like Itoje, just needs to cut out the silly mistakes that could cost you a world cup match and focus on doing what he does best. Also needs to make more effort wrapping his arms as he won't keep getting away with it and I'm sure coaches will be mentioning to refs before the game.

Ford, Farrell, Tuilagi seems a no brainer to me, from an outside perspective.

Farrell may not have the flair to provide all the play-making on his own, but he is a capable second player maker and has the defence and running game to play 12. Tuilagi in for the crash ball option.

Stick Te'o on the bench.

If Cipriani was ever going to happen, it would have happened by now.

Am I the only one thinking that Owen Farrell has painted a massive target on his back for next year's World Cup?

Based on Ireland's performance against USA, the RWC is as good as done.

I'm going to say it now, well done All Blacks on another RWC! Wohooo!

Really? I don't know why you even bother watching rugby you're just so hard done by.
eh? do you disagree it was a penalty... or do you take umbrage with my insinuation that the All Blacks get away with a lot haha?

My comment was about Owen Farrell, not the Wallabies being hard done by. He's a clear repeat offender.

I only watched the highlights, but to me it seemed like a game too far for the Aussies, never seen them look so drained, well done England:rolleyes:

I think longer term, short of new talent suddenly rising, Farrel-Loz as the 10-12 pairing could be strong. Both are hard hitting tacklers with a rounded game and I'd say Loz has a better running game than Farrell.

Ideally we want to find a big hitting 12 with a decent all round game and then we'd have the choice of a big 12 with any number of our smaller 13's or a smaller distributing 12 with Tuilagi at 13. It's a shame Devoto never really developed into the player we hoped he could be as he would have ticked that box.
Barrett