• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] England vs New Zealand 10/11/18

Thanks for agreeing. Till this day, there has been no clear footage of Irelands first try. Raynal didn't even see it a grounding. He just awarded it lol.
Ah sweet sweet irony....

Ah sweet sweet irony....
Yeah, well we definitely put it right the next game ;)

Geez when we get 40 on a team, we show it was no fluke by winning the next game. Ireland put 40 on us that day on their first ever win. Big win.

I don't think historic results count for anything - Ireland's result two years ago is far more relevant than England's 6yrs/15yrs ago
I find it mad how much weight is put on historic results by some rugby fans. Some of it is fair but when people are ignoring recent results and delving into the history before that its just mind mindbogglingly stupid to me, like I'd guess that Ireland will have more players who have beaten NZ in their 23 than England. If you want to look at history for the next two games England have lost one game at home since Jones took over, they've clearly been weaker this seaason but they're still 4th in the world and its a pretty big task, and Ireland have lost once since 2014 in Dublin, (iN pREtTy coNtRovERsIaL CIrCumStAncEs tOo) and are currently in their most successful calendar year in their history and number 2 in the world, we're just about the most daunting challenge in World rugby when you're not playing NZ right now based on history... Albeit very recent history so that doesn't count /s.

To be fair he's dead right, Ben Smith was a mile in touch for his try, we should have won 40-22, cost us a whole world ranking point!

Some of it is fair but when people are ignoring recent results and delving into the history before that its just mind mindbogglingly stupid to me...
Recent results? the most recent results was NZ beating Ireland. Recent results you say lol...hmmm.

Recent results? the most recent results was NZ beating Ireland. Recent results you say lol...hmmm.
Yes. That was the last game of international rugby, I forgot the two year hiatus...

Trying to get back on topic, I think England might just go and do this (This is a very recent change of heart brought about by God knows what). I still rate a good England performance as equal to anything the Lions came up with, add home advantage to the fray and a real backs against the wall mentality considering last week and the year as a whole and its got a whiff of an upset about it.

Last edited:
Yes. That was the last game of international rugby, I forgot the two year hiatus...
Yeah I was just sticking to the talk we were having about NZ and Ireland. Never strayed.

I look forward to the Irish game but right now England "B" should be a tough one for us. We just beat the Boks in both games this year and so did England, so going back to recent results, that should raise alarm bells for us. I really do think this will be a close one.

*=correction, sorry we beat the Boks once this year but we almost lost that game we won.

Last edited:
He deosn't have all that much inside knowledge. Playing with players in the hurricanes is not all that relevant, nor is playing with other players in under 21s or whenever you are suggesting he did so. And nor will the All Blacks care to target him. If anythign the All Blacks will be overconfident by thinkng england can't be that good if shields is good enough to be in the team.
Maybe you're right. But it's not all about knowing the ABs systems, there's a the inside perosnal knowledge that must count for something. Especially as such knowledge will be about Barrett, one of the key players in the side. What he likes, doesn't like, preferred options when playing, when he may be weak, how to wind him up, what is likely to disrupt his game, etc. Put Barrett under the cosh and that could really disrupt distribution to the backs.

I'm not saying it will happen, but surely it's on Hanson's mind?

He deosn't have all that much inside knowledge. Playing with players in the hurricanes is not all that relevant, nor is playing with other players in under 21s or whenever you are suggesting he did so. And nor will the All Blacks care to target him. If anythign the All Blacks will be overconfident by thinkng england can't be that good if shields is good enough to be in the team.

Yeah I doubt Shields can provide any insight that the analysts can't.

Its a nice soundbite, but the ABs won't be remotely bothered at the prospect of facing someone who was never good enough for them.

If there is one game that Shields will look to shine in, it would be this game. He'll want to show the All Black selectors that he should've been picked.

If Shields is going into this game focusing on anything other than his role in the team with anything other than winning as his motivation he's in trouble. Its always a nice narrative, and its definitely something that makes us fans want our team to win more but using revenge, or a "that'll show 'em" attitude, as motivation doesn't work, its negative. I know I said "backs against the wall" earlier but that translates to being a great opportunity for England, all psychology surrounding sport these days champions positive outlooks to everything.

If Shields is going into this game focusing on anything other than his role in the team with anything other than winning as his motivation he's in trouble. Its always a nice narrative, and its definitely something that makes us fans want our team to win more but using revenge, or a "that'll show 'em" attitude, as motivation doesn't work, its negative. I know I said "backs against the wall" earlier but that translates to being a great opportunity for England, all psychology surrounding sport these days champions positive outlooks to everything.
LOL how do you know that attitude doesn't work. Thats how Muhammad Ali beat Foreman. Thats how the All Blacks overcame the choking tag. Thats how a lot of champions overcame the odds lol.

It's OK, Carling's in camp to give him the "Importance of the Rose and how to be English" lecture.

Not true, he made the right decisions. You might want to watch again and not trust the commentator because if you watch more closely you can see the commentator was clearly wrong.

The commentator had no idea, was clearly biased against daly such was his one-eyed perspective. I don't know anyhting about teh commenttor so i'm not necessarily suggesting his bias was conscious, but conscious or unconscious it was certainly real.

On one occasion Nkosi was clearly directly in the way of a pass to may adn the commentator claimed he should have passed it. on another occasion it was a 1.5 on 3 if he passed to may, which almost certainly would have resulted in may getting tackled and thn a 2 on 5 at teh ruck, massively risking a turnover. and the commentator went on and on about how he should have passed to may.

It was Stuart Barnes so you're probably, no definitely right, still think it should have went to May though it was a split-second opening at best.

Shields needs to go in to this game and show what he's made of considering how poorly he played last weekend. Genuinely one of the worst individual performances I've seen from an England player in a long time.

Yeah I doubt Shields can provide any insight that the analysts can't.

Its a nice soundbite, but the ABs won't be remotely bothered at the prospect of facing someone who was never good enough for them.

This, if anything it might go the other way, the AB's know Shields too and he's probably got more to prove than barrett et al and so might be easier to rattle

Just read Moody is out of this test and the rest of the tour after getting jabbed in the eye in training and needing stitches to his eyelid. He's been unlucky this year with injuries.

Hmmm I'm just not convinced this team has the required performance in them, I hope I'm proved wrong but we couldnt stem the flow against Ireland at Twickers after an awfull 6 nations I thought before that game it would be fitting to deny them the grand slam like they did us previously but that didn't happen, with that in mind it will it doesn't give me confidence, in all honesty I am silently hoping for the win but realistically thinking please keep the score line respectable.

Latest posts