• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Ireland vs Argentina (10/11/18)

But also yes he slipped off a few defensive reads, yes he made a few errors. So yes he did struggle at times. And ssid at times as yes he did some good too.
Am I saying forget him? No.

And well I presume by you saying he was "solid(ish)" you're saying similar to me.
A bit confused I am by you

By sticking him in with the other three you are rating him along with the other three.

When I said he was solidish, I refer to a few wee shakey moments scattered across the match.

That is not the same as struggling - which would be at a much more dire level.

Repeated mistakes causing significant problems within a short time period would be struggled at times.
Repeated similar mistakes causing significant problems over a long time period would be struggled with X, Y or Z.

Which is a far cry from what we seen yesterday.

By sticking him in with the other three you are rating him along with the other three.

When I said he was solidish, I refer to a few wee shakey moments scattered across the match.

That is not the same as struggling - which would be at a much more dire level.

Repeated mistakes causing significant problems within a short time period would be struggled at times.
Repeated similar mistakes causing significant problems over a long time period would be struggled with X, Y or Z.

Which is a far cry from what we seen yesterday.
Again I think you just blown it up out of porportions so will just again say opinions vary.

question to anyone who watched both sides closely (if that is anyone), who was better: Sexton or Sanchez?

i was really impressed by Sexton during the lions series so was watching him closely during this game. Sanchez, too, had been brilliant at times this year. So i thought i'd compare, mainly to try and get a feel for how someone with an all-round game like sexton has an overall more positive influence on a game compared to Sanchez. Unfortunately other things were happening while the game was on so i didn't get to concentrate on all of it, but during the bits i could concentrate on Sanchez was clearly better.

Thoughts anyone? I'm not trying to discredit Sexton, but does Sanchez deserve more kudos than he gets?

just a basic observation from the two games i've expericed today with NH commentators
a lot of gushing

Ireland closed this game out nicely, similiarities with the AB's games vs Argentina

i think next week will come down to the wire, i'd be surprised if there's a winner by more than 6 points
yeah, the gushing over folau in particular. one time he did nothing but a very ordinary pass, which was easily the least impressive thing any peron did during that phase; either that or he (the commentator) thought kerevi was folau. reminds me of our commentators at times though. the amount of wanking over goodhue by marshall and ian smith. ian smith is an awful commentator. he used to crush over dan carter so hard (and in cricket he'd always go on about how bad our pitches were, which ultimately influenced us preparing pitches that suited the opposition, when every other team prepares pitches that suit themselves). seomtimes it feels like the commentators have been told which players they should be hyping up, it comes across so fake.

question to anyone who watched both sides closely (if that is anyone), who was better: Sexton or Sanchez?

i was really impressed by Sexton during the lions series so was watching him closely during this game. Sanchez, too, had been brilliant at times this year. So i thought i'd compare, mainly to try and get a feel for how someone with an all-round game like sexton has an overall more positive influence on a game compared to Sanchez. Unfortunately other things were happening while the game was on so i didn't get to concentrate on all of it, but during the bits i could concentrate on Sanchez was clearly better.

Thoughts anyone? I'm not trying to discredit Sexton, but does Sanchez deserve more kudos than he gets?

Neither really imposed themselves on the game incredibly well but both players were putting their side in the right part of the pitch whenever they could. It was a game where defences were dominating so not much of a chance for their attacking play to shine through but they're the two best tens in world rugby when playing with limited space in a tactical battle for my money.

yeah, the gushing over folau in particular. one time he did nothing but a very ordinary pass, which was easily the least impressive thing any peron did during that phase; either that or he (the commentator) thought kerevi was folau. reminds me of our commentators at times though. the amount of wanking over goodhue by marshall and ian smith. ian smith is an awful commentator. he used to crush over dan carter so hard (and in cricket he'd always go on about how bad our pitches were, which ultimately influenced us preparing pitches that suited the opposition, when every other team prepares pitches that suit themselves). seomtimes it feels like the commentators have been told which players they should be hyping up, it comes across so fake.

wonder how Smithy even ended up being a rugby commentator - at least with Carter there was a reason to **** lol

remember Murray Mexted? i unforunately do

PfnP92M.jpg

Argentina made me eat my hat. I was predicting an easy win for Ireland yet Argentina definitely made a go of it, and probably did give Ireland a few worries. They look so much more dynamic in attack and defence than the summer tour against Wales and if they continue to play like that next year I'm sure they will be giving a few teams something to worry about.

wonder how Smithy even ended up being a rugby commentator - at least with Carter there was a reason to **** lol

remember Murray Mexted? i unforunately do

PfnP92M.jpg
Yeah. To Murray, the mauger major pun never got old. he really lost the plot towards the end there, not sure what he was on. comedic value at times though, except when his co-commentators got lost for words in how to respond, you could just feel teh awkwardness.

Neither really imposed themselves on the game incredibly well but both players were putting their side in the right part of the pitch whenever they could. It was a game where defences were dominating so not much of a chance for their attacking play to shine through but they're the two best tens in world rugby when playing with limited space in a tactical battle for my money.
thanks for the synopsis.

i like how goofy Sexton looks, it tricks the opposition i reckon; runnign hunchbacked and, at times, throwing no look short passes where he keeps his eyes and body facing forward, with no movement of the hips.

In the bits I saw there were a few linebreaks that Sanchez was crititcal to, one an inside ball to Bofelli in tight spaces, adn I was actually really impressed with his defence as he made a few really good reads.

It looks like Sanchez is a much better defender than he used to be and now that he consistently takes teh ball to the line on attack he's more dangerous there too. in the rugby championship i reckon he would have been involved in creating more linebreaks than any other player. A massive improvement compared to the June tests.

Sexton was well off his best, Sanchez didn't get an awful lot to work with but did well with what be got I think. I'd be of the opinion that Sanchez is generally underrated, he's not in the very top tier of 10s like Sexton IMO but he's definitely up there in the group behind the likes of Sexton and Barrett.

Sexton was well off his best, Sanchez didn't get an awful lot to work with but did well with what be got I think. I'd be of the opinion that Sanchez is generally underrated, he's not in the very top tier of 10s like Sexton IMO but he's definitely up there in the group behind the likes of Sexton and Barrett.
Yeah I'd agree with that. I think it looks something like this:

God Tier: Sexton
Angel Tier: Barrett
Saint Tier: Farrell and Sanchez
Priest Tier: Pollard, Foley, Russell
Everyone Else Tier

Got strangely religious that post, while showing limited comprehension of Christianity...

I suppose if there was ever a match thread for a bit of Catholicism its Ireland v Argentina!

Sanchez is consistently working behind a weaker pack for club and country, so is often in a rush. He also (touch wood) is very durable. I'd also put him level with Sexton for kicking for goal.

On all other facets I'd put Sexton ahead. Head, heart, variety of kicking, running with ball in hand, tackling, unusual surname.

Personally I'd put Sanchez joint third in the world:

- behind BB & Sexton*
- level with Finn, Ford & Farrell
- a smidgen ahead of Foley, Pollard & Tamura (although I have difficulty evaluating the last two)

*& Tommaso Allan

Yeah I'd agree with that. I think it looks something like this:

God Tier: Sexton
Angel Tier: Barrett
Saint Tier: Farrell and Sanchez
Priest Tier: Pollard, Foley, Russell
Everyone Else Tier

Got strangely religious that post, while showing limited comprehension of Christianity...

I suppose if there was ever a match thread for a bit of Catholicism its Ireland v Argentina!
Sanchez is consistently working behind a weaker pack for club and country, so is often in a rush. He also (touch wood) is very durable. I'd also put him level with Sexton for kicking for goal.

On all other facets I'd put Sexton ahead. Head, heart, variety of kicking, running with ball in hand, tackling, unusual surname.

Personally I'd put Sanchez joint third in the world:

- behind BB & Sexton*
- level with Finn, Ford & Farrell
- a smidgen ahead of Foley, Pollard & Tamura (although I have difficulty evaluating the last two)

*& Tommaso Allan
Good to see you guys rate Sanchez pretty highly. and you're pretty consistent with your rankings too. He might have challenged sexton adn barrett in pre-carter days when tens didn't have to tackle.

i found soem stats for this year that support his running talent (don't worry i don't buy much into stats, I wouldn't have used them if they didn't tell the story i wanted haha)

upload_2018-11-13_17-44-50.png
vs sexton:
upload_2018-11-13_17-46-18.png
noting, the website ranks sexton as #1 overall.

Sexton is a big deal for sure. in terms of quantity i'd rank it like this:

a smidgeon
yeah, nah, a bit aye
lots
heaps
heaps as bro
way heaps
oh, loads
shtloads
fckloads
a shitton
a fckton