• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Ireland vs Argentina (10/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

gI004IH.png
j7lEIMe.png
77TMMVD.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 20:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

How are Argentina set for this tour? I thought they were ok in the RC but maybe not deserving of all the hype suggesting they're massively improved, it might be a bit skewed though because I didn't see their win in Oz.

How are Argentina set for this tour? I thought they were ok in the RC but maybe not deserving of all the hype suggesting they're massively improved, it might be a bit skewed though because I didn't see their win in Oz.

They were awful against Wales, the performances in the RC were a lot better but there is still much improvement needed. I expect a comfortable victory for Ireland.

I think they can give you a close game, their backs are very dangerous and can score against the meanest defences. They will in all likelihood score a number of tries but their defence is very leaky and Ireland will probably be able to match them try for try

Argentina are nothing to fear,
Ireland by 20+ is my guess (38 - 10 or similar)

There's a longstanding record of Argentina losing in Dublin and it's survived much worse Irish teams and much better Pumas. I think we'll win by more than a score but they'll score some nice tries and there won't be a million miles in the score by the end.

Argentina are nothing to fear,
Ireland by 20+ is my guess (38 - 10 or similar)
They never were in Nov tests. But since they have went in to the Rugby Championship they've got much worst at this time of year.
We will win by stumbling over the line playing at 20% of our ability or like last week comfortable with a tad of sloppiness due to frontliners 1st game of season in green.

They never were in Nov tests. But since they have went in to the Rugby Championship they've got much worst at this time of year.
We will win by stumbling over the line playing at 20% of our ability or like last week comfortable with a tad of sloppiness due to frontliners 1st game of season in green.
England managed to screw it up in 2006 but we fired Andy Robinson two games later for it.
And its no surprise when you look at this starting 15......**** me
FB 15 Iain Balshaw
RW 14 Paul Sackey
OC 13 Jamie Noon
IC 12 Anthony Allen
LW 11 Ben Cohen
FH 10 Charlie Hodgson
SH 9 Shaun Perry
N8 8 Pat Sanderson
OF 7 Lewis Moody
BF 6 Martin Corry (c)
RL 5 Ben Kay
LL 4 Danny Grewcock
TP 3 Julian White
HK 2 George Chuter
LP 1 Perry Freshwater

Pumas are hugely improved, but from a really low base. I'd put them on a par with Scotland when away from home (they travel better). Pumas haven't turned up in June or November for years though really, so I don't think this will be a nail-biter.

Glad to see Matera named captain. For all Creevy's ability, leadership never struck me as one of his qualities.

Pumas are hugely improved, but from a really low base. I'd put them on a par with Scotland when away from home (they travel better). Pumas haven't turned up in June or November for years though really, so I don't think this will be a nail-biter.

Glad to see Matera named captain. For all Creevy's ability, leadership never struck me as one of his qualities.

That's fair, I don't expect this game to be in the balance at any point really and a win by more than 10 should be the target for Ireland. I genuinely think Ireland at home is currently the 2nd toughest test match in rugby wedged between NZ in NZ and NZ away (That theorywill be tested next week) so Argentina shouldn't be an issue.

confident irish as usuall. no surprise there. i m o we could upset here. likely no, but who knows.
about the irish team is it complete scuad or mostly reserves.. no sexton?
is this a second string ireland? would that be the excuse if they loose?
we have big issues with the scrum all our props injured. a malfuntionig scrum could be decisive

confident irish as usuall. no surprise there. i m o we could upset here. likely no, but who knows.
about the irish team is it complete scuad or mostly reserves.. no sexton?
is this a second string ireland? would that be the excuse if they loose?
we have big issues with the scrum all our props injured. a malfuntionig scrum could be decisive

It'll be first choice/ mostly first choice. Sexton will almost definitely play as will Furlong, Sean O'Brien etc.

Rumoured team

McGrath
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
POM
SOB
Stander
Marmion
Sexton
Stockdale
Henshaw
Ringrose
Earls
Addison

Cronin
Healy
Porter
Beirne
Van Der Flier
McGrath
Carbery
Conway

Rumoured team

McGrath
Best
Furlong
Henderson
Ryan
POM
SOB
Stander
Marmion
Sexton
Stockdale
Henshaw
Ringrose
Earls
Addison

Cronin
Healy
Porter
Beirne
Van Der Flier
McGrath
Carbery
Conway
That's very similar to what he did for the Argies last year. Pick a mostly full strength squad with a few second choice players and a third/fourth choice thrown in.

That's very similar to what he did for the Argies last year. Pick a mostly full strength squad with a few second choice players and a third/fourth choice thrown in.
Mixes it a bit but vital to try get units right ahead of next week

pumas team named
bonfeli, delguy, orlando, de la fuente, moyano, sanchez, cubelli, ortega desio, materra, petti (yes flanker) lavanini, allemano, garcia botta, crevy and medrano

15. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 7
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 70
13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Leinster) 36
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 10
11. Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 12

10. Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 76 (vc)
9. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 22
1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 81
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 111 (c)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 26
4. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 39
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 11
6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 50 (vc)
7. Sean O'Brien (UCD/Leinster) 51
8. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 26

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 63
17. Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 51
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 9
19. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 61
20. Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 10
21. Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 7
22. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 13
23. Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 8

Very nice indeed

Ireland naming three captains is kind of ridiculous. Acting like they are an ice hockey team .

Last edited:

Latest posts