• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Ireland vs New Zealand (17/11/18)

ALB got injured this past year right? He looked like he'd be a sensation 2 years ago but seems to have lost form. Delighted to see D-Mac getting another shot at fullback in a big contest. Kind of begs the question why he spent most of the SR season at flyhalf - although maybe that was the condition of him getting this chance.

For comedy value I'd love ABs to lose due to a missed penalty by BB when the infinitely superior goal kicker D-Mac is left as a passenger. It's the only way the penny will drop for Hansen. I can't think of any other side where the best goal kicker is denied the opportunity to kick for the posts. It does my head in!

Ireland are going to be as up for this as England were for 25 minutes, depends if NZ can find it in themselves again to put up an immense fight. Very late in the season with a few of these blokes having one foot on the beach.
I'm picking similar to last week, Ireland to be up at the half and depending on how revved NZ is will decide the match.

We need to start better, I know it's a game plan to turn it up a gear later in games and it has worked, but it'd still be good to see less mistakes and some points on the board early.

IRELAND Team & Replacements (v New Zealand, 2018 GUINNESS Series Test Match, Aviva Stadium, Saturday, November 17, kick-off 7.00pm):

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 86
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 71
13. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 15
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 11
11. Jacob Stockdale (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 13
10. Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 77 (vc)
9. Kieran Marmion (Corinthians/Connacht) 23

1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 82
2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 112 (c)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf/Leinster) 27
4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 62
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 12
6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 51 (vc)
7. Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 11
8. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 27

Replacements
16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 64
17. Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 52
18. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 10
19. Iain Henderson (Queens University/Ulster) 40
20. Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster) 11
21. Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) 8
22. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 14
23. Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 8

Not much suprise with team. Tadgh Beirne unlucky to miss out on 23. Other than that it is what it is.
Rory Best hopefully can shock me and show signs that he can still play at this level.

Team picked itself imo. Think Beirne should be in. Can't imagine he's anything but a great presence and learner in camp but it's much of a muchness. Happy with the centers. Not that injury would allow it but it's way more balanced than Aki Henshaw

Team picked itself imo. Think Beirne should be in. Can't imagine he's anything but a great presence and learner in camp but it's much of a muchness. Happy with the centers. Not that injury would allow it but it's way more balanced than Aki Henshaw

Is there really any chance of Aki-Henshaw being chosen over Henrose? If Joe had Ringer available and didn't pick him I'd be incredibly torn, I've been pro Joe since 2010 but if he did that to the best 13 in rugby, God Is be mad!

Best and Toner are possible vulnerabilities for Ireland and I think they have stronger alternatives, but overall that is a bloody strong selection. I'm sticking with my "ABs are in a bit of a minor slump" narrative.

Ireland by 13

Best and Toner are possible vulnerabilities for Ireland and I think they have stronger alternatives, but overall that is a bloody strong selection. I'm sticking with my "ABs are in a bit of a minor slump" narrative.

Ireland by 13
Thanks

I wish I was that confident and wasn't just projecting!

No player has started more tests for Schmidt's Ireland than Toner, he's not the most dynamic player every, but I don't think he should be looked at as a vulnerability. Especially as through the lineout he's responsible for a huge amount of our best scoring opportunities.

No player has started more tests for Schmidt's Ireland than Toner, he's not the most dynamic player every, but I don't think he should be looked at as a vulnerability. Especially as through the lineout he's responsible for a huge amount of our best scoring opportunities.
Lineout is huge area that could win us game but also cost us massively.

Yeah, Toner is great at lineout and probably key to the maul, but I don't think he brings much else to the party. He's also 32 (Retallick is 27) and I'm a big believer that no rugby player has ever been at their physical peak at 32 and this will likely be a ferocious encounter leaving players breathless. Best is 36 and hasn't impressed me overly for several years outside of lineout (Cronin is in my opinion faster, stronger and fitter). Obviously I can't judge the value of the wealth of experience that they bring, and maybe I underestimate that a lot.

When I say "vulnerable" it's because they are against the best team in the world who will expose the slightest weakness if they play to top form. It wasn't intended as a particular criticism. More that I think the ABs excel at lock and hooker with younger, stronger, fitter and more dynamic players than Best and Toner. Whereas I think the rest of the Ireland side matches up very well against their opposite numbers.

I doubt many will back Ireland as much as I do in this match, so trust me I'm not saying Toner and Best are dead weight or liablities.

Toner does so much for our breakdown when we have the ball. Ireland really need at least one of him, Murphy or Fat McGrath to join Best for that reason, otherwise we get slow ball like we saw for 55mins last Saturday.

Is there really any chance of Aki-Henshaw being chosen over Henrose? If Joe had Ringer available and didn't pick him I'd be incredibly torn, I've been pro Joe since 2010 but if he did that to the best 13 in rugby, God Is be mad!

How would that affect Jonathan Davies?

Latest posts