• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 November Tests] Ireland vs USA (24/11/18)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

gI004IH.png
j7lEIMe.png
Rn6kOPF.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium
Time: 20:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Its gonna be tough for anyone in the team for this game to make a statement. No matter how well they play, the asterix will always be against level of opposition (compared to Saturday past).

Have to imagine the team will be something along the lines of:

1 McGrath
2 Cronin
3 Porter
4 Beirne
5 Roux
6 Ruddock (C)
7 Murphy
8 Conan
9 McGrath
10 Carbery
11 Sweetnam
12 McCloskey
13 Addison
14 Conway
15 Larmour

16 Scannell
17 Kilcoyne
18 Ryan
19 Henderson
20 Van der Flier
21 Cooney
22 Byrne
23 Arnold

Its gonna be tough for anyone in the team for this game to make a statement. No matter how well they play, the asterix will always be against level of opposition (compared to Saturday past).
The USA are the only unbeaten test side in 2018, we're in for a doing lad!

But yeah... A few lads competing for spots 29-31 on the RWC squad and the rest just upping their minutes in the system.

Can't see this game living long in the memory. Chance for some guys to step up and nail down their place in the pecking order but at the end of the say nobody is going to remember this unless someone makes their debut (Arnold? Can't think of anyone else).

At loosehead it's a chance for Kilcoyne to keep knocking on McGrath's door, but I suspect that it's a locked door and that Joe has thrown away the key. Chance for him to reinforce that he's definitely ahead of Cronin though. Hooker it's chance for Scannell to stake a claim for the first choice 23 but like Kilcoyne I'd say a good run of form in Europe for Munster will do more for him than a big game here. Herring hasn't got a game yet and usually everyone gets to play in Joe's November squad so we might see him at some stage. Tighthead it's chance for Bealham to show that he should be more than fourth choice but realistically John Ryan will probably always have the edge in a 31 man squad due to him having loads of time on both sides of the scrum. Hopefully Porter gets a start, he needs time to develop and they're always be limits on game time when you play at the same club as the best prop in the world.

Backrow and Second row are way less interesting. We're going to see effective games from the back row without anything to convince anyone they should be starting. Beirne is going to win some nice turnovers, go on some sexy runs and maybe score some tries, all leading to articles on clickbait sites claiming it's outrageous that he's not being picked for bigger games. Conan I guess could knock some unlucky Americans over but like everyone else performances in the Heineken Cup will count for more.

I think the last few games showed that how had it right with the pecking order at 9 even if no one else was agreeing with him. Cooney will have to bide his time but he could see a start here. Either Ross or Joey will get the start and it'll be interesting to see how they go. I hope McCloskey puts in a game to nail down the 3rd choice 12 spot because without restarting old debates I don't rate Rory Scannell at all. Addison and Conway will be interesting given they're both fighting over being fifth choice in the back three. Larmour has already had two starts and a sub appearance so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets this week off but maybe that's just me being selfish and wanting him fresh cause he'll be starting for Leinster v Bath.

The USA will put it up to us I think and we could well struggle for a while but I'd say the bench will finish it off if it's not over by then anyway

I think the last few games showed that how had it right with the pecking order at 9 even if no one else was agreeing with him.

Ah, dunno about that.

I think McGrath has showed better than Marmion.

I also think (hard to judge from TV) the above two might have a sharper flatter pass than Cooney - which could very well be why he finds himself 4th in line. I suppose in Internationals, that extra couple tenths of second the ball is in the air adds up to quite a big deal.

Ah, dunno about that.

I think McGrath has showed better than Marmion.

I also think (hard to judge from TV) the above two might have a sharper flatter pass than Cooney - which could very well be why he finds himself 4th in line. I suppose in Internationals, that extra couple tenths of second the ball is in the air adds up to quite a big deal.

McGrath was definitely better against Argentina but to be fair he came on just as they started to tire and got an easier job because of it. Marmion did well enough against Argentina to keep his spot against the ABs and then more or less replicated that performance against NZ which in Joe's eyes will mean he's got No.2 locked down until the World Cup unless one the others goes on a brilliant run of form and even then only maybe. Either way we did well enough with our scrumhalves over the two games to convince me that Joe had it right. When Murray comes back they'll all barely play anyway.

Marmion back to Connacht.
Cronin*, Jack McGrath, Kearney, Ryan & Larmour* back to Leinster - with Leavy to supposedly go to.

https://www.the42.ie/peter-omahony-injury-all-blacks-4347399-Nov2018/

*Very surprised these two have been let go back. Thought they'd feature. So Conway on wing, Addison full back and Scanell at hooker?
Those are surpising. What'll the team look like now?

Addison, Conway, Farrell, McCloskey, Stockdale, Carbery, McGrath; Kilcoyne, Scannell, Porter, Beirne, Henderson, Murphy, van der Flier, Conan?

Those are surpising. What'll the team look like now?

Addison, Conway, Farrell, McCloskey, Stockdale, Carbery, McGrath; Kilcoyne, Scannell, Porter, Beirne, Henderson, Murphy, van der Flier, Conan?
Sammy Arnold I'd say will play 13.
Can't see Van Der Flier playing again. Conan Jordi and ot wouldn't suprise me to see CJ play.
Sean cronin wasn't too good last weekend so I wonder is that punishment. Very suprised Larmour gone but may be linked to injury problems in Leinster backs atm

Starting XV will probably now look something like:

Addison; Conway, Arnold, McCloskey, Sweetnam; Carbery, McGrath; Kilcoyne, Scannell, Porter; Beirne, Roux; Ruddock (C), Murphy, Conan

Can Ryan or Bealham play at loosehead at international test level? Having both on the bench would be ideal. If not:

16 Herring, 17 Healy, 18 Ryan, 19 Henderson, 20 Van der Flier, 21 Cooney, 22 Byrne, 23 Farrell

Can Ryan or Bealham play at loosehead at international test level? Having both on the bench would be ideal.

Against tier 1 international tightheads they'd probably struggle, but both should have enough experience in the position to cope against weaker teams. If we take five props to Japan we're going to need to have one TH able to cover across in Tier 2 pool games to give McGrath and Healy a break. Joe was willing to take Furlong who'd never played in the position as LH cover in 2015 so I'd say he'll do it again now that he has Bealham, Porter, and Ryan all of whom have experience playing on both sides. It'd be good to give a try to see how it goes at the weekend.

Ireland can't afford to underestimate the USA! Especially coming off the back of such a wonderful result last weekend there may be a 'post New Zealand hangover' and some players may become complacent for this one. Although saying that, this is likely to be very much a second team Ireland so the players will want to make a mark and secure a place for the World Cup.

As for the USA, MacGinty missing is a big loss but Hooley and Maggie have done well this window so far. Ruben de Haas at scrum half looks like a good player and he'll cause problems. Paul Lasike at 12 is a great big lump who will get them over the gain line every time. He's not a one dimensional player though, he's quick for his size, he has good handling (not great against Romania but it was freezing cold!) and he's very solid in defence. In the pack, look out for Samu Manoa of the Cardiff Blues and Cam Dolan at 8 who always seems to score for the Eagles. Front row isn't amazing but it should be solid and the bench players are of a similar standard to the starting players. Hanco Germushuys off the bench will be a threat and he's a player I really like the look of.

My prediction is that Ireland will not find it easy at all in the first half but will be ten points to to the good at the break. A solid second half showing from the USA will result in the Eagles keeping the score line down to a 17 point margin. 42-25

Sammy Arnold I'd say will play 13.
Can't see Van Der Flier playing again. Conan Jordi and ot wouldn't suprise me to see CJ play.
Sean cronin wasn't too good last weekend so I wonder is that punishment. Very suprised Larmour gone but may be linked to injury problems in Leinster backs atm
To be honest, I forgot about him. Yep, he'll likely start ahead of Tom Farrell. Also forgot about Rhys Ruddock who could come in and captain the team.

US were legitimately a good side in spring and June, but have looked really out of sorts in November while still picking up wins.

Canada put 21 on Ireland on their last trip there and I expect something similar here, albeit with the result never in doubt.

15. Will Addison
14. Andrew Conway
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. Darren Sweetnam
10. Joey Carbery
9. John Cooney

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Niall Scannell
3. Finlay Bealham
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. Iain Henderson